Photo

Microsoft and Sony spoiler tactics for wii u launch?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:03 AM

Just wondering what people think Microsoft and Sony will try to do to spoil Nintendo's wii u launch?

Exclusive titles they will have for christmas.

Some sort of price cut for their consoles.

Sony will push their vita console (not that sony can afford to do much marketing nowadays)

Maybe make some sort of claim against Nintendo if some of the technology is believed to be copyrighted by Microsoft if they share similar technology.

I can't imagine they will hand christmas on a plate to Nintendo but wondered what they will try to do.

Sony's campaign of promoting the ps2 as some sort of super console long before launch was very successful at damaging sales of the dreamcast.

Maybe Sony/Microsoft will start promoting their next consoles before christmas?

#2 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:12 AM

you cant speculate something like this on the site. it will not be tolerated. most believe they both will not show anything but i think sony has something up their sleeve.

#3 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:19 AM

Why even go there. All three will do what they have to in order to promote their own consoles including Nintendo. That is the nature of the business. There is nothing wrong in that. I would hardly call it spoiler tactics.

#4 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:34 AM

Reveal the PS4 and the NextBox. :P

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#5 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:51 AM

Price cuts. £135 and £175 Xbox and PS3 is more appealing to new console buyer consumers (pricing doesn't matter to the core gamers, it matters to the wider audience)

Big exclusives, The Last of Us, Halo 4, PS All stars, God of War assesnsion? Maybe, then there's other third party games that Wii U might not have. We don't know if Black Ops 2 is on that console, Bioshock infinite, resident evil 6,and other third party titles aren't coming to WiiU either.

This so called war isn't for established gamers, its for new console buyers and pretty much new console buyers are new gamers that want to play with friends that have that console or to either young kids or a person that doesn't care about which platforms his or her friends are on.

Launch day, Nintendo is relying on their core audience. Sony and Microsoft have done what they needed to do already.

We'll wait till E3 to see what Nintendos plan is going to be

#6 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

It's pretty much a fact that Nintendo knows Sony and Microsoft are going to try to derail the Wii U so they are probably planning something huge just in case Sony and Microsoft pull something.

#7 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:43 AM

It's pretty much a fact that Nintendo knows Sony and Microsoft are going to try to derail the Wii U so they are probably planning something huge just in case Sony and Microsoft pull something.

That would be your opnion and not a fact. None of us know what each of them plan on doing. That said companies don't try to intentionally derail their competitors but rather put their own products in the best light possible in order to promote them and try to convince people they need to invest in them rather then their competitors.

#8 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:07 AM

That would be your opnion and not a fact. None of us know what each of them plan on doing. That said companies don't try to intentionally derail their competitors but rather put their own products in the best light possible in order to promote them and try to convince people they need to invest in them rather then their competitors.

Nintendo knows Sony and Microsoft will want to try to derail the Wii U, there competers and it's a fact, Nintendo and Sony will want to do it for the Xbox 720 and Nintendo and Microsoft will want to do the same for the PS4.

#9 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:12 AM

Nintendo knows Sony and Microsoft will want to try to derail the Wii U, there competers and it's a fact, Nintendo and Sony will want to do it for the Xbox 720 and Nintendo and Microsoft will want to do the same for the PS4.

That's what you assume or believe. In my opnion that's not true. For the sake of repeating my self companies are more likely to promote their own products and try to convince people they should by them because of how good they believe them to be rather then derail the competition. Besides considering Nintendo's press conference is last there is no way MS or Sony are going to know what Nintendo is going to show and announce so there is no way they can derail them.

#10 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:29 AM

Microsoft will push Kinect, maybe hint at what's next. They will push Halo 4 big time. And other exclusives we will hear about.

Sony will do what they always have in this position, make their console sound superior in every way. Show some fancy tech demoes of PS4 that show Unreal Engine 4 at it's early stages. And announce the PS4 is coming Christmas of 2013, with a big reveal next year (like Nintendo is doing).

This is why it's important for Nintendo to show what the Wii U can do early. Generally it takes an end of a life cycle to see what the console can do. I don't think anyone ever thought the Xbox 360 would be capable of some of the graphics it's doing today, same with the PS3. Nintendo needs to have their best developers showing exclusive, eye candy games that look huge, major epic battles and something the others can't have. Because I would be willing to bet Sony will have a PS Tablet Controller, the Dual Shock 4, and they will announce it for the PS4 (or possibly the PS3, but that won't gain traction). If they do, Nintendo would need to either have another trick up it's sleeve (I'm sure they do) and/or show games that Sony doesn't have and that gamers want (and I am not just talking Mario).

Nintendo's most important E3 is coming up. Sony and Microsoft knows this, so they will do what they can to ruin the moment. But as long Nintendo has a good line up of software, hardware to back it up, and a massive online network for gamers to socialize on -- Nintendo will be unstoppable. You see, Sony can't steal the show, neither can Microsoft. Unless Nintendo missteps. Like they did last year. If that happens again, game over Wii U.

But of course, that won't happen again.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#11 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:44 AM

Nintendo is in a position to have the best E3 they have had in a long time. The Wii U has the potential to let them have the best press conference and the best show overall. They need to come out with all guns firing and make a big impact both first party and third party wise. If they can announce a new console in the Wii U that will blow everyone away hardware and software wise ( especially launch line up ) then they will prove a lot of people wrong and prove they can be as good as Sony and Microsoft and not only attract the casual gamers but also the hardcore. One of the keys to this will be a solid online structure as good as PSN and Xbox Live if not better. They will also have to show that they have convinced third parties to support them with their AAA games as much as they do Sony and Microsoft. Both online structure and quality third party support are very important. None this shovel ward that plagued the Wii.

#12 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

That's what you assume or believe. In my opnion that's not true. For the sake of repeating my self companies are more likely to promote their own products and try to convince people they should by them because of how good they believe them to be rather then derail the competition. Besides considering Nintendo's press conference is last there is no way MS or Sony are going to know what Nintendo is going to show and announce so there is no way they can derail them.

I'm saying they will try to derail the Wii U close to launch not at E3, Nintendo has the upperhand of going last for conferences at E3 because if Sony and Microsoft announce something big Nintendo could announce something bigger.

#13 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:14 AM

Nah, I am not worried.
Nintendo has it covered.

#14 Bane

Bane

Spiny

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

Yeah this would be pretty hard for MS and Sony to do. If neither of them talk about or show their next gen systems at E3, Nintendo is going to have to mess up pretty bad. I guess one potential blow would be the $99 360 deal coming soon. However, I don't think that will be enough to make the Wii U have bad sales this holiday season. Hence I think that when it comes to neither Sony or MS not talking or showing their next gen systems at E3... I think one of them is lying.

But I still think Nintendo is safe to go.

#15 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

Yeah this would be pretty hard for MS and Sony to do. If neither of them talk about or show their next gen systems at E3, Nintendo is going to have to mess up pretty bad. I guess one potential blow would be the $99 360 deal coming soon. However, I don't think that will be enough to make the Wii U have bad sales this holiday season. Hence I think that when it comes to neither Sony or MS not talking or showing their next gen systems at E3... I think one of them is lying.

But I still think Nintendo is safe to go.

Both Sony and MS have stated they have no plans on talking about their next gen systems at E3. That said its not a forgone conclusion that Nintendo will win this years E3 but if they come out strong with the Wii U plans then they should have the best of E3.

#16 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

I'm saying they will try to derail the Wii U close to launch not at E3, Nintendo has the upperhand of going last for conferences at E3 because if Sony and Microsoft announce something big Nintendo could announce something bigger.

They are too busy focussed on their products. I believe you are confused, its TRUE they could derail Nintendo but that would be indirectly.

I honestly don't think that either company would, Microsoft is too heavily focused on metro, they have to reveal Woodstock(the Zune replacement) and have a bigger emphasis on the media capabilities of their console. They have a legion of halo fans to impress with Halo 4. Derail Nintendo? Indirectly yes, they are emphasis their products and presenting them to consumers which also tends to be Sony and Nintendos audience as well.

Same thing applies to Sony, they are going to have to commit to vita, impress with gow campaign, last of us and all stars. That is to current console owners and again potential owners which are the same consumers.

I agree with the other person too that these companies are not trying to detail Nintendo.

Be a fan not a fanboy.

#17 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

They are too busy focussed on their products. I believe you are confused, its TRUE they could derail Nintendo but that would be indirectly.

I honestly don't think that either company would, Microsoft is too heavily focused on metro, they have to reveal Woodstock(the Zune replacement) and have a bigger emphasis on the media capabilities of their console. They have a legion of halo fans to impress with Halo 4. Derail Nintendo? Indirectly yes, they are emphasis their products and presenting them to consumers which also tends to be Sony and Nintendos audience as well.

Same thing applies to Sony, they are going to have to commit to vita, impress with gow campaign, last of us and all stars. That is to current console owners and again potential owners which are the same consumers.

I agree with the other person too that these companies are not trying to detail Nintendo.

Be a fan not a fanboy.

Agreed. My veiw as well.

#18 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

Will we see them derail Nintendo, very unlikely during the conferences and interviews. Sony and Microsoft will most likely try to encourage consumers to look at there games and make them feel that buying there products will be a great choice. Will they reveal new consoles, simply no. Sony needs to focus on the Vita, Microsoft will still advertise the Kinect. We may get some hints about the successors from back door discussions but that will be the best we could get.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#19 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

the three companies aren't directly competing, nowadays all three seem to be going for slightly differenct audiences.
Posted Image

#20 Chinomanila

Chinomanila

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda,Bioshock,Pikmin

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

the three companies aren't directly competing, nowadays all three seem to be going for slightly differenct audiences.

Exactly, if Sony were competing directly with Nintendo, then the Vita would be competing with the 3DS and not Smart Phones.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!