Photo

I did a little bit of De-ciphering

Trine 2: Directors Cut RAM

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

Okay do I was looking at Trine 2 on Wikipedia and I think we can all agree that the graphics are pretty amazing, most likely better than Xbox arcade or PSN. So the PC download requires a minimum of 1 GB RAM, suggesting that the Wii U has AT LEAST 1 GB of RAM, most likely more to achieve smooth gameplay like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trine_2
Check out the download minimum requirements.

Edited by Heyheyharold, 18 July 2012 - 02:52 PM.

I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#2 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Dude, isn't the game already on Xbox Live arcade and PSN?
Bring the noise.

#3 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Yeah but when compared to Wii U, it runs smoother and slightly better graphics. I think I saw a video on YouTube showing the comparison. Let me find it...
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

#4 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

Yeah but when compared to Wii U, it runs smoother and slightly better graphics. I think I saw a video on YouTube showing the comparison. Let me find it...

Definitely looking forward to this video of yours. :P

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#5 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

While I fail at finding this video >:1, please enjoy this gif of a cat that gives you money:

http://bit.ly/Lt81ni

EDIT: and this

http://bit.ly/14Xy4Z

Edited by Heyheyharold, 18 July 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#6 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

Just because the PC version of the game needs 1GB, doesn't mean that the consoles need 1GB to run it, right?

Right?

Because the PC needs RAM to run other crap too? Right?

I don't know, I don't PC game.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#7 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

i pc game
no, peole think computers need more resources to run games but they really dont, trine 2 for pc basically means "other than the ****load of programs you also run, 1gb of free ram is required to play it
they usually stick in basic windows idling too, so that means trine2 for consoles is still to get to a gb
actually now that i think about it, they usually round up ram requirements, so expect anywhere between 512mb to 1gb

Edited by uh20, 18 July 2012 - 05:22 PM.

:laugh:

#8 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

That's not a very sound argument.
The RAM in a PC holds the OS and other crap as well.
Consoles are far more refined than what's put out on PC's due to knowing what hardware you're dealing with.

A game like trine 2 (I've only played trine 1) wouldn't require more than 32 MB ram on a console, imo.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#9 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

yes, but its neglectable, minimal ubuntu linux runs at 80 megabits, and thats a fraction of a gib
im no windows expert so idk how much idle memory it runs off of
but its still an ok arguement that trine2 for consoles will use up simmilar memory than pc version (anywhere between 512mb to 1gb

so if you want to be extremely sciency on what trine2 will require, it should be around 450-900mb for console
not a lot, sheesh, unless the game was optimized that will be the approximate memory usage
so in the perfect conditions that would then be around 400-850mb

Edited by uh20, 18 July 2012 - 05:34 PM.

#10 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:24 AM

i pc game
no, peole think computers need more resources to run games but they really dont, trine 2 for pc basically means "other than the ****load of programs you also run, 1gb of free ram is required to play it
they usually stick in basic windows idling too, so that means trine2 for consoles is still to get to a gb
actually now that i think about it, they usually round up ram requirements, so expect anywhere between 512mb to 1gb

LOL AT THE PC FANBOY HIS FANBOY MOMENT """"THEY REALLY DONT""""" THAT IS 100% HORSE CRUD a pc is no were near as efficent as a closed console system that is THE REALITY...

a pc of wii spec could nevr in a bilion years run wii games a pc of x360 spec again could never in a month of sundays run games at x360 level and a smart device again like a pc can never run like DS DSi 3DS at the same power STOP THE FANBOYING

not only is a pc running windows or other,, its not built efficently at all the very minimum multipul you apply to a console is 2x a pc and ofden its way more same rule applys to smart devices

KLOL AT WHAT YOUR SAYING THE LATEST IPAD CANNOT GET CLOSE TO 3DS GRAPHICS AND IPHONES OF MUCH FASTER PROCESSORS AND MORE RAM FAILED TO MATCH THE DS

im typing right now on a dualcore laptop with specs on par with x360 it wouldnt come close IN GAME

#11 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

silverismoney
thanks, thats uhh, nice, and uhhh, caps lock
a console is more efficient than a computer, i did not straight out say otherwise, your using my earlier post against me, as i said in a later post optimization could bring ram usage down to 400 instead of 512
i was also talking specifically about ram, not anything else

computers are not far off from consoles though, im saving up 400 dollers to build my own computer, what pc gamers call graphics dominate computers, which say what they mean, are are cheeper than their counterparts at playing just games, they are bad at multitasking and everything else though
so if a wiiu is $300 dollers and can do what my computer design can, then your saving $100 dollers because of more optimized wiiu hardware
not as much as you think, as long as you spend time designing your perfect computer

Edited by uh20, 19 July 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#12 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

That's not a very sound argument.
The RAM in a PC holds the OS and other crap as well.
Consoles are far more refined than what's put out on PC's due to knowing what hardware you're dealing with.

A game like trine 2 (I've only played trine 1) wouldn't require more than 32 MB ram on a console, imo.

Good logic, bad number guess. But the logics whats important anyways, and its good.

also,
When pc games are ported to consoles the assets are changed to fit the system.

Now, I havent PLAYED trine on 360, as I have it for pc... Bit im willing to guess it probably has lower texture resolutions, and somewhat toned down effects, and other scaling solutions to meet the systems ram.

It will be interesting to see Nintendos choice in RAM... Though I must admit, I am at a hard spot in speculation ability.

Typically, Nintendos always gone with high quality, high bandwidth low latency ram.... with rather modest capacity. This basically means little to no waiting on ram wasting cycles.

Wii had 24MB of 1tsram, very fast, very low latency, which was typically used for high demand system tasks, and then a very capable for the time pool of gddr3... at a very modest 66 or so MB, for things in less demand of instant necessity, like textures and effects.

But Nintendos NEVER used remotely CLOSE to the sheer capacity of ram thats going to be in the wii u before, currently the Nintendo system with the most ram is the 3ds, with a 126 or so MB of fcram for its main ram. Very high performance stuff, very temperature resilient, quite exciting really.

But the wii u has been confirmed to have at the very least 1GB. (devkits so far have been confirmed to have upwards of 3GB, and devkits usually have 2x the consoles for things like debugging a running game)

Extremely high performance ram like the stuff nintendo favors is typically quite expensive to say, just using gddr.

My speculation is another split pool. A cache of high performance ram at a much lower capacity for executables (possibly embedded on the cpu cores themselves a la the power 7, which would explain the watson technology comments), and a large pool of gddr, likely 4 or 5 for that large capacity pool. Or if we are REALLY lucky fcram.... I can only imagine Nintendo and fujitsu have a very healthy relationship with the fantastic performance of the 3ds's fcram. Cant really ask for a better market debut of the ram technology. The combination of that high performance low latency ram at such a large capacity will make for a VERY healthy bandwidth, something thats necessary for say, rendering multiple scenes to be streamed to a certain controller... And fcram can run considerably hotter than gddr before failing. Which is always nice.

I really like fcram, and frankly, would love to see it replace gddr, as it can do everything it can, better.

It has the double data rate, it uses less power, generates less heat, AND it can run hotter, thus be clocked higher, has lower latency, so less wasted cycles waiting on ram...

Really fantastic stuff.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#13 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

i expect a split pool too, hopefully the most of it being FreakingCrazyRam
if anything, you will probably expect a bit of ddr3

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

i expect a split pool too, hopefully the most of it being FreakingCrazyRam
if anything, you will probably expect a bit of ddr3

DDR3 is Not likely going by Nintendos history, and current contracts.

Nintendo has always prioritized high performing ram, even i. the wii, in 2006, gddr3 was choice stuff, now its obsolete, and obsolete ram is doing the exact opposite of what nintendo has always done.

Especially when taking into account their contract with fujitsu, who produces superior ram to gddr5.....

And its Japanese, which means less money lost on the current western economic scene.

And... I just dont see the wii u having a pool of ram thats inferior too what the 3ds has to such a degree.

Edited by 3Dude, 19 July 2012 - 04:15 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:36 AM

grrr
now i predict THUNDARRRRRRR
im done with predicting ram