Photo

WiiU CPU Revealed by Patent: "Enhanced PowerPC 750" ?

cpu vga zol CPU revealed patent nintendo processor enhance 750

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:29 AM

i have a question if we were to assume this is true. does this mean nintendo can decicde at a later date to unlock the full power of the system to developers? or once they decide what they want they have to stick with that? is this not similar to what sony did with the PSP and unlocked more power later in it life span to developers from the cpu why the god of war game was visually stunning.

Edited by TRON, 02 June 2012 - 04:30 AM.

#42 Stewox

Stewox

Spiny

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:36 AM

i have a question if we were to assume this is true. does this mean nintendo can decicde at a later date to unlock the full power of the system to developers? or once they decide what they want they have to stick with that? is this not similar to what sony did with the PSP and unlocked more power later in it life span to developers from the cpu why the god of war game was visually stunning.

There is no reason for it to limit the performance artificially.

It doesn't run on batteries.
Posted Image

#43 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

If the Wii U does have 2gb then that's 4-5x better then the 360.

No, it depends on the gpu not the ram.

28gxdv8.png

#44 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

No, it depends on the gpu not the ram.

I mean the ram is 4-5x better then 360.

#45 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:29 AM

okay cause you said the console is going to be 4-5 times better than ps360 in power.

28gxdv8.png

#46 InsaneLaw

InsaneLaw

Blooper

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Fandom:
    All

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

Really ? Link me to it

Easy to find.
http://en.wikipedia....werPC_740.2F750

The CPU is like 15 years old

Also, it only talks about the Power 7 in the article in the OP, the PowerPC and Power architecture are nothing alike.

Edited by InsaneLaw, 02 June 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#47 Jp27

Jp27

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

How good is this in people who don't know much about tech?
Posted Image
Dat awesome person

#48 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

Easy to find.

Also, it only talks about the Power 7 in the article in the OP, the PowerPC and Power architecture are nothing alike.

Power and PowerPC are very similar. And power includes the PowerPC instructions. So if you write for PowerPC, you are still employing RISC benefits with the Power chip.

But your point has been made.

#49 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

There is no reason for it to limit the performance artificially.

It doesn't run on batteries.

No what I meant is. Let's say Nintendo starts off and goes the safe route and underclockes everything. Then when ps4 and next box comes out with more powerful hardware can they then decide to use the full power and like unlock the CPU for more power?

#50 ShadowVector

ShadowVector

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

No what I meant is. Let's say Nintendo starts off and goes the safe route and underclockes everything. Then when ps4 and next box comes out with more powerful hardware can they then decide to use the full power and like unlock the CPU for more power?

So in other words it's kind of the software version of the N64 Expansion Pak.

Check out my artworks thread here on the forums

Follow me on 120px-Deviantart_logo.png

#51 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

Easy to find.

It says Enhanced in the title.

#52 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

It says Enhanced in the title.

It's not.

Ppc 750 is OLD. There has been 970mp since...

Besides, that's not what Nintendo is using.

A lot of intelligent speculation in this thread (and some funny math), but it's not accurate -even with what has been publicly disclosed.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 02 June 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#53 Stewox

Stewox

Spiny

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:19 AM

Well ... seeing actual specs in a patent was a bit ... too good to be true.
Posted Image

#54 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:58 AM

Isn't there a chance that one of the cpu's cores in the wii U will be configured for wii mode? Its meant to have full compatibility with wii, i.e. 100% compatibility. So couldn't it have lets say 3 main cores and one wii compatible core?

I noticed in the spec above the gpu specification is not listed.

Also 45nm fabrication process is not a great fabrication process for the launch of a new console, already the xbox has that. Doesn't this limit the performance somewhat considering the small form factor of the console?

Still hoping for a combined gpu and cpu on piece of silicon to make the console punch far above its perceived power. In a way a 45nm process would support that. 45nm is a more mature fabrication process now so a larger i.c. would have much higher yields which would allow more to be integrated together. Each time the fabrication process is improved yields are normally reduced at the beginning.

Still expecting the wii U to come in at about 2x performance overall compared to ps3/360. A lot more memory, a slightly more powerful cpu and a cut down gpu which in some ways is superior to 360/PS3 but in other ways inferior (inferior polygon and texturing performance). The gpu is the main source of heat in a console, hence why I think its likely simplified in some way or optimised to produce less heat. I can't see Nintendo paying for a fancy gpu and running it at a slow mhz instead I feel they will go for a simplified gpu and run it a higher speed.

Still hoping to be wrong and be pleasently surprised though.

I feel E3 will not be an end of speculation of the console's power though, that will have to wait until after launch and someone pulls one apart and starts x-raying components.

#55 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:29 AM

@Desert Punk the Wii U isnt small. Its a very long console, had plunty of vents too. And the Wii U CPU is not slightly more powerful. The POWER7 is leagues past the Xenon processor in the Xbox. Literally is two generations ahead in terms of technology. I cant say anything about the gpu because officially we dont know what that is.

You are right we wont see the spec sheet but the question of its power will be ended. One look at the retro title and maybe even unreal 4 on the Wii U and people will see just how good it is.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#56 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

@Blooper.

I don't know about one look at a retro title being used to demonstrate power. Their coding on the wii was very impressive and really pushed the hardware. If they worked on the ps3 or 360 you'd probably think they were next gen. Agree about Unreal 4 although I thought that was stated won't be on wii U and that unreal 3 would be used for wii U games but then perhaps I'm out of date again and Unreal 4 is back on the cards for wii U. Its difficult to keep up some times. I've still got in mind the original wii U console which was only slightly larger than the wii when shown so I'm basing gpu performance on the limitations of that case which is even harder to cool than ps3 and 360. I understand the final console design may be different.

#57 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

Easy to find.

can someone explain to me how powerpc 400 series at 45nm system on chip ring bus and 5 instructions per clock with IBM EDRAM CATCH is 15 years old

It's not.

A lot of intelligent speculation in this thread (and some funny math), but it's not accurate -even with what has been publicly disclosed.

It's not.

970s have nothing to do with it the powerpc 32 bit is now the 400 series not 750 the powerpc 400s and the powerpc 476fp are the latest designs and there 2010 tech not 15 years old and there 5 instructions per clock not 1 per clock like older cpus

a broadway based version tri core with IBM EDRAM would be the most powerful version ever made

#58 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Well, being devs just got access to the dsp a few days ago (this means, until a few days ago, they had to run audio on the cpu) I wouldnt be looking at ANY patents, leaks, or even confirmed parts from older devkit models.

Even if they are there now, they might not be tomorrow.

And as someone already mentioned in this thread, both power and power pc run on the power isa instruction core....

Meaning pretty much ANY power architecture (POWER powerpc etc) can be used as a placeholder until the final cpu arrives.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#59 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

powerpc 750 the broadway and cl versions were the most advanced running with 2x 32 bit simds and max 4to1 data conpression a graphics burst pipe write gather these obtermizations took the core to another level above the family 750 32bit......

powerpc 32 bit went threw some changes as it was shrunk to 45nm in 2010 (NOT 15 YEARS AGO ROLLS EYES AT IGNORENCE) 64 BIT FSB WAS REPLACED WITH 128BIT RING BUS THE CPU PIPES STAGES WERE INCREASED AND THE CLOCKSPEEDS UPED AND THE CPU CORE NOW SUPPORTED SMT MULTI THREADING WITH OTHER CORES AND A MAX OF 16 CORES CAN BE APPLIED TO ONE CHIP

PERFORMANCE PER CLOCK WAS INCREASED FROM 2 INSTRUCTIONS PER CLOCK TO 5 INSTRUCTIONS PER CLOCK

RIGHT NOW APPLY THE IBM EDRAM AND THE BROADWAY / CL CORE IMPROVMENTS MAKE IT TRI CORE ,,,TELL ME DID THAT CPU EXIST 15 YEARS AGO

HEAD IN HANDS WIIU CPU = POWERPC 32 BIT CUSTOMIZED TRI CORES SMT >>FACT<<

http://parisbocek.typepad.com/blog/2011/04/ibm-introduces-new-powerpc-cpu-core.html 2010 TECH IS NOT 15 YEARS OLD

wouldnt that depend on the ram its self and many other factors GET OUT OF THE PC NONSENSE MIND SET all mb of ram are not made equally you have to take into account bandwidth speed compression loading speed catch memory EDRAM etc etc etc

the wiiu could have 512mb like x360 and still be 4x more powerful ,,,what if a console had a flash card game cart with insane loading speed and a 512mb edram insane bandwidth memory would that be the same as a cd drive and 512mb of low speed D ram

meg for meb /clock for clock it doesnt work like that ITS NOT A PC ,

nintendo designs around speed and arcade board like thinking it doesnt think in a pc way now with wiiu thees more OS etc so ram needs to support it but il garantee wiiu is more powerful PER MEG OF RAM than ps3 x360 simple fact nintendo does efficent like no one else

expect this custom disc 25gb to also load/stream much much much faster than ps3 bluray it will be gaming optermized not movie play back

also flash is faster than harddrive and again nintendo use flash THINK HOW HARDWARE IS DESIGNED not the exact number of megs or clocks etc

i cannot see nintendo using loads of os ram i think YET AGAIN its anti nintendo BS

wouldnt that depend on the ram its self and many other factors GET OUT OF THE PC NONSENSE MIND SET all mb of ram are not made equally you have to take into account bandwidth speed compression loading speed catch memory EDRAM etc etc etc

the wiiu could have 512mb like x360 and still be 4x more powerful ,,,what if a console had a flash card game cart with insane loading speed and a 512mb edram insane bandwidth memory would that be the same as a cd drive and 512mb of low speed D ram

nintendo designs around speed and arcade board like thinking it doesnt think in a pc way now with wiiu thees more OS etc so ram needs to support it but il garantee wiiu is more powerful PER MEG OF RAM than ps3 x360 simple fact nintendo does efficent like no one else

expect this custom disc 25gb to also load/stream much much much faster than ps3 bluray it will be gaming optermized not movie play back

also flash is faster than harddrive and again nintendo use flash THINK HOW HARDWARE IS DESIGNED not the exact number of megs or clocks etc

i cannot see nintendo using loads of os ram i think YET AGAIN its anti nintendo BS

powerpc 750 is replaced with powerpc 4xxx all powerpc 32bit buyers now have a customized version of a powerpc 4xxx very like powerpc 750 but refined and now 45nm

powerpc 750 is replaced with powerpc 4xxx all powerpc 32bit buyers now have a customized version of a powerpc 4xxx very like powerpc 750 but refined and now 45nm

Edited by silverismoney, 20 July 2012 - 08:32 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cpu, vga, zol, CPU, revealed, patent, nintendo, processor, enhance, 750

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!