Photo

Wiiu Cpu just as powerful as the ps3-360 and its Gpu 1.5 x stronger? (Please no)

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#41 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:02 AM

My thoughts are clearly from these specs that announced by anonymous and claimed to be official.. Nothing more and nothing less.. So I speak about these specs and only...

#42 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

My thoughts are clearly from these specs that announced by anonymous and claimed to be official.. Nothing more and nothing less.. So I speak about these specs and only...

Oh they are completely official. Official v1/v2 devkits. Its a copy paste directly from the sdk, the same one vgleaks posted a picture of.

Not indictive of final hardware. particularly since the big bump didnt come until v4.... And likely again with the final sdk.

If the gamecube is anything to go by, the beta dolphin sdk (last version of sdk until the final hardware sdk was released.) Was half as powerful as the final sdk.

Lol, Nintendo simply sent boards with the new hardware through the mail to devs to swap out themselves converting beta kits to final sdks. Many devs simply shelved the beta units and asked for new hardware...

Which is how a few dolphin beta kits have found there way into peoples hands to play with.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#43 Medu

Medu

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

I did try and warn ye some 6 months that the Wii U would be similar to the current consoles. One of the few things that we did learn last year was that the CPU was going to be 45nm based chip which told me that Nintendo weren't going to be very aggressive with the hardware. Nearly everything we have heard, and now seen from games at the E3, has pointed towards that.

#44 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

all i care is that i saw with my own eyes on video a darksiders 2 developer saying it's next gen, that's all that matters to me, as well as gearbox calling it "a powerful powerful" console and EPIC complementing it as well, this one anomaly is not enough to convince me otherwise
Posted Image

#45 Biohazard

Biohazard

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Gears of War, Killzone

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

I did try and warn ye some 6 months that the Wii U would be similar to the current consoles. One of the few things that we did learn last year was that the CPU was going to be 45nm based chip which told me that Nintendo weren't going to be very aggressive with the hardware. Nearly everything we have heard, and now seen from games at the E3, has pointed towards that.

Perhaps you missed the entire conversation. The specs are based off of older dev kits which are similar to 360/PS3 in spec. The Wii U demos that were shown were most likely running on them based off of the fact that most of them still had the Wii U gamepad still tethered and no cables were connected to the console. It's not far-fetched that Nintendo would show Wii U games in its early form, as Microsoft did the same back in E3 2005 where the Xbox 360 games weren't running off of the hardware. They ran on Powermac G5's, and the console launched in November 2005.

#46 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

If wii U is similar or a slight upgrade of the current, is going to be a dark feature for it... It may make it for the first couple of years, but... the circle of the machine, will be decreased dramatically. What is ur speculations 3dude for dev 4? Because it is NOT only the gpu that turns off, but the size of the console as well.. Its REALLY hard to fit 1 billion transistors gpu in there. It will explode.

Edited by Orion, 09 June 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#47 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

If wii U is similar or a slight upgrade of the current, is going to be a dark feature for it... It may make it for the first couple of years, but... the circle of the machine, will be decreased dramatically. What is ur speculations 3dude for dev 4? Because it is NOT only the gpu that turns off, but the size of the console as well.. Its REALLY hard to fit 1 billion transistors gpu in there. It will explode.

It is not just about modern tech that does need big console sizes and good cooling... If that was true, the PC tech by now, should be shrinked to a packet of sigars.. :) Thats why we buy HUGE towes with expensive cooling systems...

Dev kit 5-6 was probably to make it compatible with Unreal Engine 4 so the first games like ZombiU will look on par but in 2013 we will see PC looking graphics.

#48 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

to be compatible with UE4, needs 1 tflop MINIMUM.. 1.2 for the overall system.. Thats why I pointed to the size of the console.
Also Epic announced UE4 for mobile devices, but do not expect good looking graphics in the big screen, if nintendo wants the mobility version of UE4.. And from what u said... Also the leak about 720p with 4xaa and 1080p single pass... means to be changed as well...

Edited by Orion, 09 June 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#49 Pinstripe

Pinstripe

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

ZombiU was probably developed with a Xbox 360 devkit, and then ported to Wii U. This is actually quite usual in early development stages when a new hardware arrives.

A couple years down the road when devs work with the final SDK and know how to use the API, shaders etc to full extend, the Wii U should be able to generate quite some impressive images. Just looks what the PS3 can render with Beyond: Two Souls, and that with a mere 512MB RAM!

I'm really not worried about the hardware capabilities. If you are, you probably are not a fan of Nintendo games (gameplay first). In that case, I'd like to recommend you to buy a Xbox 720 (entertainment hub, no games), or PS4 (look, we can make great realtime movies!).

Edited by Pinstripe, 09 June 2012 - 10:09 AM.

#50 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

I am a pc gamer, not a console lover, but I support nintendo for many years, by buying products.. I stopped buying handhelds as they have nothing to offer me, I stopped playing handhelds, I bought Wii, but I quited it with the 360, years ago.. So I dont want this things to be repeated all the time.. I want my console to be feature proof with excellent built quality.

Also the marketing.. graphics doesnt matter, gameplay only... is wrong, because others earning from this.. Selling u extremely cheap hardware up to 3-4-5 times, because you dont care about the graphics... AND THATS wrong.. I am not a fanboy so I see things very realistic, differently.

Edited by Orion, 09 June 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#51 Pinstripe

Pinstripe

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

I play my graphics intensive blockbuster games all on my high-end PC (since most PS4/Xbox 720 will get ported anyway), and for the real console experience, I use the Wii U. So I got everything covered.

#52 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

U mean to buy a wii U just for mario, zelda, metroid, f-zero... ?

U know when "graphics doesnt matter, only gameplay matters" stopped existing? since game engines invented.. And we saw that with Wii.. And if u care about the feature of Nintendo, you must scream laud to hear u.. :)

Edited by Orion, 09 June 2012 - 10:27 AM.

#53 Pinstripe

Pinstripe

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

U know when "graphics doesnt matter, only gameplay matters" stopped existing? since game engines invented.. And we saw that with Wii..

Didn't stop the Wii or the PS2 to be the most successful consoles ever, despite being weaker than their competitors.

#54 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

IT DIDNT.. but it hurts ur pocket... hahaha.. Wii if it was different today, meaning to have more 3rd party support, due to a better hardware... Nintendo could release wii U next year or in 2 years from now...

Its not only about company's earnings and loss.. its about u as a customer as well.. And my consideration is there... A wii U that if, IF, IF, IF... The rumors are true... The console is going to the box, not to get dust in 2-3 years from now..

Edited by Orion, 09 June 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#55 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

*Cough cough* Asscreed *cough cough*

#56 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

to be compatible with UE4, needs 1 tflop MINIMUM.. 1.2 for the overall system.. Thats why I pointed to the size of the console.
Also Epic announced UE4 for mobile devices, but do not expect good looking graphics in the big screen, if nintendo wants the mobility version of UE4.. And from what u said... Also the leak about 720p with 4xaa and 1080p single pass... means to be changed as well...

I dont think you understand whats going on here. No matter how powerful the wii u is....

ITS NOT GETTING UNREAL 4.

Look the power 7 DESTROYS the i7 core.

UR4 was written on the x86(64) instruction set. The power 7 uses POWER ISA. It would take epic lot of work to convert. That alone is devastating.

The way Nintendo has set up their console, and the people they made contracts with is the exact opposite of how epic does things.

For example Nintendo again, licensed from Havok for their physics engine and vision 8 and beyond engines. They designed the console around this. Any power 7 derivitive is going to be a VERY powerful cpu.

Unreal licensed PhysX for unreal physics and related AI.

Havok is a CPU based physics engine.

PhysX is a GPU based physics engine.

Its not going to happen unless sony and/or microsoft use power architecture as well.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#57 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Unreal engine 4 is an example... there is DOZEN of engines out there... Also unreal engine 3.9 that wii U is not capable of... And dont tell me again that unreal 3 is not working with power pc, because 360, etc running unreal engine 3... And if wii U was capable of, epic could give a tweaked version of unreal engin 3.9a-b-c-d-f.... versions.. with 4 features.

Edited by Orion, 09 June 2012 - 11:23 AM.

#58 Pinstripe

Pinstripe

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Isn't thew Xbox 720 also using IBM's Power? This console certainly must be a target for UE4, no?

#59 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

Isn't thew Xbox 720 also using IBM's Power? This console certainly must be a target for UE4, no?

Nothing but rumours. Nothings been confirmed by ibm yet like wii u. But i CAN tell you, if you see powerPC... its probably fake...

A lots changed in the processor market since the last time console manufacturers went shopping.

Powermacs gone, now its icore time. Epic changed with the times, like anyone else would have. After all, if everyone who buys their pc games are running i6 and i7... They arent going to bother with power isa.

But its just a matter of numbers. The more consoles run power isa instruction sets, the more reason epic will have to rewrite the engine.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#60 Pinstripe

Pinstripe

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

Well, we do know for a fact that CryEngine 3 runs on the Wii U. That's good enough for me.

UE4 won't be ready before 2014 anyway. The first PS4/Xbox Next games will look more like High-End PC games, as we've seen at E3 with Watch_Dogs and Star Wars 1313 lately. The full potential of Next Gen consoles will need a couple of years to unlock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!