#1 SparktehFox

SparktehFox

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Splatterhouse, Sonic

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

I'm back with another Idea! (I've already posted these on GameFaqs)

Starting off, I'd like to explain the visuals. I believe the look of the Ice Climbers themselves, Nana and Popo, has become an image Smash Bros players have become familiar with. I don't think this should change. I propose the characters would continue to be very cute visually while their clothing and items, as well as the world around them would be near photo realistic. Reminiscent of the visuals found in Pikmin. I imagine beautiful scenery with visuals that change through the day from astounding sunrises to terrorizing pitfalls, all on a blanket of snow and frost.

Posted Image

Next I picture a hub world. A small yet robust village teeming with the innocent cheeriness of Christmas. There are a few faces that you will become accustomed to and will meet plenty but it wouldn't be right to leave out normal civilians, workers, and fellow spelunkers that you could interact with voluntarily. However, I would not want any voice-overs present as it would ruin the atmosphere; with Popo and Nana themselves only speaking through actions. I imagine each person would look similar in design to Popo and Nana, with varying degrees in height and appearance like Pushmo. From there you would be able to access shops of different kinds that would allow you to purchase differing goods important to people of your profession, and a bulletin board with varying jobs and announcements, as well as a leaderboard of best times and records. Add a hot spring, home, and a few additional areas with mini-games such as ice skating and you've got a winter wonderland!

Posted Image

Gameplay wise, I expect something completely different. As you progress through the game I can see players encountering different mountains and paths, each with unique builds that require differing strategies to climb. As time goes by, thanks to blizzards, snow slides and the like, I would expect mountains you've already been on to change randomly with each job. By "each job" I'm implying a mission based progression system centered around the hub town and bulletin board I mention previously. Seeing as the game takes place in such a dangerous atmosphere, and Popo and Nana are considered the best regardless of their young ages, I could see plenty of people turning to them for assistance. Missions could range from finding supplies to saving lives or more.

Continuing further, I have an idea pertaining to the way they play in brawl. Seeing as these two are explorers, I can picture a new survivalist system. Making sure your body temp is kept in check and that you are constantly energized and awake is important for mountain climbers. These would need to be taken advantage of for a truly immersing experience, however, mini-games are a no-no and should be an avoided incumbent. Failing to protect your partner, or yourself, would result in you having to continue your mission alone. As for the climbing part, I suggest using something similar to Shadow of Colossus with a upgradeable grip system alongside your stamina. Now, considering that these two are quite young, I don't think a combat system would be viable. Yes, they should use their mallets but I believe that those should be limited to shattering ice, or at most stunning certain enemies. I suppose Topis (the small yeti-like enemies) would become harmless in this game and your main sources of threat would come from the polar bear and condor. I do expect more enemy types based on tundra wildlife but I don't expect much to do with fighting as this game (in my head) is a pure adventure game. I suggest wildlife be added that may be completely random, such as the Dragos from Mother 3 that could be potentially dangerous but are not inescapable as I would like the main focus to be on escaping rather than attacking, similar to the preview in Monster Hunter 4.

Next I would like for their to be a few types of multiplayer modes available. Those I had in mind were King of the Hill, Capture the Flag, Survival, Racing (climbing), and Co-Op. Any suggestions?

I would also like to address their origins. I do not believe they should be thoroughly revealed. Nintendo has set it so that the player decides what the relationship is between the duo and I believe it should stand that way, with the most we get being something as vague as "two orphans raised by the village". Other than that, I have no suggestions as that would ruin the game for me as well, haha!

Lastly, I will mention music. I picture something soothing and orchestrated, with the main theme sticking around the hub world. The main song that rings through my mind when I imagine it is "Snowman" from Mother 3.

Recap:
1)Cartoon meets life-like visuals ala Pikmin
2)Hub world featuring plenty of interactivity
3)mission based gameplay framed by mystery dungeon style stages
4)survivalist features including a grip and stamina gauge
5)no fighting mechanics, focusing on escape
6)multiplayer
7)vague back story if at all
8)orchestrated music
Posted Image

#2 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

I wrote a blog about this that was actually featured on IGN a while back. The ideas are very different from yours, though. Yours could be really interesting, but they may as well make a new IP if they do this.

#3 Barneykiller008

Barneykiller008

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

For now, we can only dream of them making an ice climbers game...
  • Doc likes this

#4 SparktehFox

SparktehFox

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

I wrote a blog about this that was actually featured on IGN a while back. The ideas are very different from yours, though. Yours could be really interesting, but they may as well make a new IP if they do this.

Link? Also, seeing as Ice Climbers was basically an arcade time-waster, there's nothing to actually build on without completely restructuring the franchise. Going by the logic that games that take a different route should just be new IP's, then we wouldn't get sequels or reboots that do any justice to their original counterparts. I'm thinking of Kid Icarus when I think of this game.
Posted Image

#5 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:59 AM

Youve got a bunch of fantastic ideas. I like the concept and the multiplayer sounds fun! These ideas are quite different than mine, as my concept was about a fast paced beat em up/platformer but I really see how it could work. Good job!
Posted Image

#6 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

Oh cool, looks like I wasn't the only one thinking of an Ice Climber revival.

Just started cruising around an old folder on my computer upon reading this, found this little extract hiding away in a 'quick ideas' section. It's from a similar document to that Kirby and the Celestial Ark thing I posted quite a while back.

Ice Climber Conquest
In this game, the Ice Climber team will track across some of the highest summits of the Nintendo World, and sometimes going against famous rivals.

Mountains (Unlocked)

Classic Mountain (Ice Climber)

Climb to get to the top and pull an eggplant.

Mine Shaft (Ice Climber Conquest)

Climb the inside of a mountain mine to get the gold.

Alpine Forest (Ice Climber Conquest)

Climb by hanging off alpine trees on this steep cliff.

Ridley Rumble (Ice Climber Conquest)

Chase and hammer Ridley through three stages. Try not to fall or get flamed. Icy platforms won’t last for long.

Summit (Super Smash Bros Brawl)

Knock one of the many other unlockable characters off the summit.

The following will unlock when conditions are met.

Death Mountain (Legend of Zelda – Twilight Princess)

Use the ice balls to cool down while climbing this hot, hot mountain.

Dragon Roost Island (Legend of Zelda – The Wind Waker)

Use the grappling hook to stop yourself from being swept away.

Mustard Mountain (Kirby and the Amazing Mirror)

The closer to the volcano, the easier the climb will be, but don’t heat up too much.

Mt Shiver (Paper Mario)

Stand too long and you’ll fall off the paper thin platforms.

King K Rool’s Ship (Donkey Kong Country)

Avoid endless attacks onboard this Kremlin Klimb.

Sanctuary (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)

The elevator broke! Quickly climb the shaft before you get blasted.

Mt Coronet (Pokemon: Diamond, Pearl and Platinum Version)

Travel between crystal caves and rocky outcrops to avoid getting captured by Giratina.

Sol Sanctum (Golden Sun)

Stop Alex from absorbing the Golden Sun by getting there first.

Bob-Omb Mountain (Super Mario 64)

Defuse the Bob-Omb King by racing to the top of the mountain.

Phendrana Drifts (Metroid Prime)

Escape the crumbling ice citadel while avoiding Shee Goth attacks.

Freezeflame Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy)

Reach the Star Sling to escape the heat of the lava planet.

Tundra (Monster Hunter Tri)

Climb up the tall spires of ice to escape a hungry Deviljho.

Tetris Siege(Tetris)

Dodge the falling tetriminos and then climb onto them to avoid being Tetris’ed to death for as long as you can.

Mt Onett (Earthbound)

Collect Franklin Badge’s to throw PK Thunders into Starmen and protect the meteor, but watch out when the earth shakes you down the mountain.

Smashville Heights (Animal Crossing)

Take a relaxed, non jumping mountain climb up the rocky barrier of Smashville. One for the stressed.

Blue Moon Nation(Advance Wars)

Knock out radio towers in the snowy peaks to stop Blue Moon’s attack on Orange Star.

Cloudcuckooland (Banjo-Tooie)

Climb to the top of this crazy mountain structure in the sky. But beware Mumbo’s magic: backfires 40-90% of the time.

I'm liking Sparks ideas more. My idea was more of like an enhanced/extended version of the original.
I want that Hub World.

Edited by Non-Specific Action Figure, 11 June 2012 - 05:14 AM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#7 SparktehFox

SparktehFox

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

Actually, Non-specific Action Figure, those ideas are amazing! the would actually go perfectly with the Multiplayer segments. You could have each type of game categorized accordingly with your ideas sorted through them as stages for selection. Things like "The Elevator Broke" would fall perfectly under Survival and others like "Summit" would go under King of the Hill. It fits perfectly! I wonder who would handle the game better, Sakurai or Retro? Or maybe a different team altogether? I plan to somehow make a demonstration of this (which would in no way be anytime soon) and find a way to send it to a developer within the company. I've submitted Ideas before that eerily found their way into games but I want to guarantee that this has a chance of at least being seen. If that doesn't work, I'll hold the Idea for a couple of years and revive it after I complete college as a Graphic Design Artist.

Bump
Posted Image

#8 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

I agree, if Nintendo is keen on putting the Ice Climbers in Smash Bros. 4. They should make a new Ice Climbers game as some children who are playing have no idea what game they are from. Captain Falcon is different because the last game he was in was on the GBA. We still need a new F-Zero though.
  • Doc likes this

#9 SolxBurst

SolxBurst

Okami Amaterasu

• Writers
  • 630 posts
  • NNID:SolxBurst
  • Fandom:
    Okami, Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

Honestly, when I think of a new Ice Climbers game I think of something like Banjo Kazooie, where you scale a mountain and there are collectables. Something along those lines.

2jd1178.jpg

"...A well written villain is a hero in his/her own world..."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wii u, nana, popo, ice climbers, ssb, super smash bros, game, idea, new, nintendo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!