Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

Hi guys!

this is my fist post in this forum ! ;)

So, I was just wondering if we need a HD TV to play Wii U?

I have 3 Tvs in my house, but none of them are HD and I'm worried because I want to buy a Wii U and I don't know if I need to buy a HD TV to be able to use it.

Greetings,
Matus98
Still playing Mario Kar and Mario Bros. on my DS ;)

#2 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:16 AM

You don't need one, just like 360 and PS3 it's entirely possible to play with an SDTV, it'll just be at a non-HD resolution of course. ^_^

Posted Image

#3 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:35 AM

you can, but at least I hope for you it's not a HUGE standard definition TV because you would see pixels and that would suck...

Besides,
Hello there, I tell you, you're definitely gonna love this community! Have fun!
Posted Image

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

The Wii U console will use HDMI, or you can connect a Wii cable to it for SDTV's.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

Yes, the Wii U supports 480i and 480p output for SD tv's. But the games are meant to be played at a 16:9 aspect ratio of a widescreen tv instead of a 4:3 aspect ratio of an SDTV and using an SDTV will make the games look worse.

Go buy yourself a cheap 32" LEDTV that supports 1080p. It will be well worth it.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#6 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

I need a HD tv too. Just for the better experience. But being a jobless 16 year old, they are quite expensive... And even if I had a job they're still expensive lol. My parents are only just now looking for one... for the living room... I'll need one for my own gaming room.
No sig.

#7 Stewox

Stewox

Spiny

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

The Wii U console will use HDMI, or you can connect a Wii cable to it for SDTV's.

WiiU also uses Mutli AV that supports Composite and Component too.

I need a HD tv too. Just for the better experience. But being a jobless 16 year old, they are quite expensive... And even if I had a job they're still expensive lol. My parents are only just now looking for one... for the living room... I'll need one for my own gaming room.

Please, tell them they should not go with a cheap LG hdtv... and even Samsung cheap ones such as LE40C540 and anything below that series, it won't matter what kind of graphics you have in the console, the picture will look crap, i have 2 HDTVs in the house, this one is non-LED the other one below is LED backlight.

Tell them to take a look at this one from Samsung: UE40D6750 ... you won't be disappointed and you avoid the panel type lottery with this model, it cotst just above 1100 €, cheap, i got refurbished one for 750€ :D
Posted Image

#8 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

Please, tell them they should not go with a cheap LG hdtv... and even Samsung cheap ones such as LE40C540 and anything below that series, it won't matter what kind of graphics you have in the console, the picture will look crap, i have 2 HDTVs in the house, this one is non-LED the other one below is LED backlight.

Tell them to take a look at this one from Samsung: UE40D6750 ... you won't be disappointed and you avoid the panel type lottery with this model, it cotst just above 1100 €, cheap, i got refurbished one for 750€ :D

Well I believe they are doing a Philips one, but I haven't seen it yet. It should be alright.

But my problem is, that I'm not allowed to play games in the living room, so I have to buy ANOTHER tv for upstairs for my xbox 360 and coming Wii U...
No sig.

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

So is your mom.

What's your point?
HDMI ports aren't on SDTV's.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 Matus98

Matus98

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

Thanks to everyone !
But I don't get it. My TV doesn't have a bad image qualitie, when I bought it it coust about 1000 euros!
The problem is that I really want to enjoy that console and I was afraid that I couldn't play it.
Thanks everyone!

Greetings!
Still playing Mario Kar and Mario Bros. on my DS ;)

#11 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, SSB, Mario etc.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

Thanks to everyone !
But I don't get it. My TV doesn't have a bad image qualitie, when I bought it it coust about 1000 euros!
The problem is that I really want to enjoy that console and I was afraid that I couldn't play it.
Thanks everyone!

Greetings!

Your tv will play just fine... Don't let anyone pressure into buying a costly tv... Your tv is perfect for wii u and will play nicely on it

Posted Image

#12 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

There are some big advantages to the old CRT sets that in some ways make them better than flat panel sets. Firstly if its a standard 50 or 60hz set with no 100hz scanning or picture processing it literally has no input lag because conventional CRT sets can not hold and process the image the signal goes instantly to the tube so games can be more responsive on CRT sets.

Often CRT sets have decent sound because they have greater depth allowing for larger speakers.

In europe the wii u will probably support RGB scart which on a decent CRT set can look absolutely stunning in contrast with a vivid red colour.

I love my plasma tv but CRT sets are still good in many regards.

#13 Stewox

Stewox

Spiny

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

But my problem is, that I'm not allowed to play games in the living room, so I have to buy ANOTHER tv for upstairs for my xbox 360 and coming Wii U...

Is there a good reason why not ?

So is your mom.

What's your point?
HDMI ports aren't on SDTV's.

You were mentioning the Wii cable. That is not necessary.

And if you are for a debate about it:

http://www.avforums....y-crt-hdmi.html
http://bootstrike.com/Articles/LCDvsCRT/

Plus .. CRTs are very good for HD, the industry simply won't upgrade the tech because they're heavy and bulky and hurts eyes from radiation, that's the main reason, but they're the best of all in all picture and performance aspects, not sure if anything will prevail over CRTs in those aspects anytime soon.

Edited by Stewox, 21 June 2012 - 01:22 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

CRT != SDTV
My old 17 inch srt could do hd before it was a buzzword.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#15 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

Full HD Monitors are around £120, for me that isn't expensive, im assuming it wouldn't be for you but that's a suggestion. I'm fine with gaming on 23 inch monitor.

#16 Stewox

Stewox

Spiny

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

CRT != SDTV
My old 17 inch srt could do hd before it was a buzzword.

What is SDTV ?

You have your terms mixed up because SDTV is a PR term for 480i-480p signal standard.

720p is "HD Ready"
1080p is "Full HD"

Edit:

I've googled and there is no such thing as SRT TV .. it's nothing, unless your country had some special stuff in past that's probably not even worth as a base for the argument.

So where do you get the SRT from, maybe somewhere in the model info sticker, screenshot it and let us see.

Edited by Stewox, 22 June 2012 - 10:33 AM.

Posted Image

#17 KgGamesXL

KgGamesXL

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

What is SDTV ?

You have your terms mixed up because SDTV is a PR term for 480i-480p signal standard.

720p is "HD Ready"
1080p is "Full HD"

I'm pretty sure he means Standard definition Television 480 i or 480p Which is non HD

Edited by KgGamesXL, 22 June 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#18 Stewox

Stewox

Spiny

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

I'm pretty sure he means Standard definition Television 480 i or 480p Which is non HD

Yes, that's a CRT

CRTs can be HD too, it's pretty small market but it's very well possible.

CRTs don't have pixels, the picture is painted on the screen, very good for both HD and SD. While LCDs have to have agressive processing methods to make a good SD image, my more expensive LED LCD is way better due to the high-quality LCD panel used than the cheal HDTV which has some crap panel from one of the bad samsung OEMs inside that makes SD look like crap.

Edited by Stewox, 22 June 2012 - 12:16 PM.

Posted Image

#19 KgGamesXL

KgGamesXL

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Yes, that's a CRT

CRTs can be HD too, it's pretty small market but it's very well possible.

CRTs don't have pixels, the picture is painted on the screen, very good for both HD and SD. While LCDs have to have agressive processing methods to make a good SD image, my more expensive LED LCD is way better due to the high-quality LCD panel used than the cheal HDTV which has some crap panel from one of the bad samsung OEMs inside that makes SD look like crap.

I had 32" inch CRT TV and played on it with my Xbox 360 and it did look pretty good but when i played on a 1080p 40" LCD TV my family got the games looked at lot better imo but it doesn't really matter at least you can play games on the Wii U. But i guess you won't get the fullest experience out of the Wii U's Graphics if you don't go HD right?

#20 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

u dont need it, but it would be nice if u put some priorities, first buy an HD then wii U.. but if ur 3 tvs are fine and u love them, no probs.. The difference between a normal tv and an HD tv is huge though.. I have in my home office with my PC.. but now I will transfer the one I got to our living room (replacing our old tv) and I will get a 42 for my pc.. hehe This tvs are very cheap..

Edited by Orion, 22 June 2012 - 01:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!