• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 eugoreez

eugoreez

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:20 AM

if the OP was true.. it was exactly like my PC spec.. except for the RAM.. and my GC was 5750... and I can play any game on high at least...

but i think its a bit lower... the CPU was too much.. it wont be priced at $300 like that...
urhhh.. potatoes?

#22 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:02 AM

Say if the console is $300/£249.99, and make profit for Nintendo and retailers. What's the most generous specs? Also with the 6770, I'm trying to see the difference between that and the 5770, I head someone say it's 15% better, but I can't see where? Also why can I get the 6770 cheaper (retail) than the 5770, and heck even the 4770? It doesn't make sense! Then again isn't this a custom chip set with specs from different models. Last time I heard it had a 50 - 80w power draw, was quite quiet, and ran an 750Mhz,

On another note I'd love the quad core to be true, but I hope they didn't reduce the threads down to two like rumoured. This is because (warning long answer coming up) by the looks of things, the leaked dev kit specs have a tri-core processor with 3-threads a core. This gives us 9-processing threads. That allows for far greater simultaneous processing that the 360. Which would make sense with the control pad n' all. It still wouldn't make the console 2x the 360, unlike the GPU which is substantially more powerful if the specs of the card are untouched.

However if we shove in a 4-core at 3-threads a core (let's not expect Nintendo for the full 4-threads) with 3MB L3 cache, we suddenly get double the processing threads in the 360. That sounds the most likely to me. I'd keep the core clock at 3.2Ghz

The 4770 is actually cheaper, but the 6770 is second, with 5770 being the most expensive. But that is retail, so I don't know how much they cost to produce. And it will be cheaper for Nintendo because AMD would give Nintendo a bulk discount. The original rumor of the gpu being an R770 was interesting to me because that was the card AMD used to base all next generation gpus on. So, assuming work started back then when the R770 was top of the line (because it was) then the AMD team would have added the technology from the newer cards, customizing based on Nintendo's needs. Which might have ended up to be similar to the Northern Islands (6770). Do note the retail 6770 is actually not as good as the 5770. But considering Nintendo's gpu will be highly customized, we really can't guess on its performance.

Now to answer most generous specs, I think my guess is close to that. I know there is a rumor of a tri-core processor in the Wii u, but I believe that rumor came from WiiUDaily.com which also had a rumor about a quad core. So obviously there source is either unreliable or Nintendo and IBM tested both at one time. And remember, Nintendo was reported to beef up the console to ensure it would have enough power for newer engines. So maybe adding another core is one thing they did.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#23 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

The 4770 is actually cheaper, but the 6770 is second, with 5770 being the most expensive. But that is retail, so I don't know how much they cost to produce. And it will be cheaper for Nintendo because AMD would give Nintendo a bulk discount. The original rumor of the gpu being an R770 was interesting to me because that was the card AMD used to base all next generation gpus on. So, assuming work started back then when the R770 was top of the line (because it was) then the AMD team would have added the technology from the newer cards, customizing based on Nintendo's needs. Which might have ended up to be similar to the Northern Islands (6770). Do note the retail 6770 is actually not as good as the 5770. But considering Nintendo's gpu will be highly customized, we really can't guess on its performance.

Now to answer most generous specs, I think my guess is close to that. I know there is a rumor of a tri-core processor in the Wii u, but I believe that rumor came from WiiUDaily.com which also had a rumor about a quad core. So obviously there source is either unreliable or Nintendo and IBM tested both at one time. And remember, Nintendo was reported to beef up the console to ensure it would have enough power for newer engines. So maybe adding another core is one thing they did.

My guess it's probably a hybrid, it has hopefully at least OpenGL 3.2/Shader Model 5.0 support, but also major power efficacy, so it can run fine inside that tiny box. Hopefully we'll get a leak on what it supports soon!

Edited by Penguin101, 25 June 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#24 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

i think posibly a power design cpu custom at a higher clock speed could happen but im sticking with broadway x 3 3mb catch at anything between 1.6ghz and 2.4ghz im thinking 800mhz ring bus again or there abouts and a 800mhz gpu custom upgrade of 4830 to 4870 processor with 32mb edram possible edram in cpu catch also

and ether a single large pool of ram or 2 pools of ram like wii has high speed custom drive based on blu ray or other

My guess it's probably a hybrid, it has hopefully at least OpenGL 3.2/Shader Model 5.0 support, but also major power efficacy, so it can run fine inside that tiny box. Hopefully we'll get a leak on what it supports soon!

the box aint tiny

#25 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

Have people forgotten about the Power series energy management features?....

The CPU can shut down a core at a time anytime and fire it back up when needed.

It also reduces core frequency by half when full speed isn't being used. I has even been given an energy star rating for this.

The best power management in the industry.

So if someone is seeing a 1.6 ghz clock, while doing a core read, don't be surprised when that CPU clocks in at 3.2 ghz under load.

Not to mention the core count...

And no, grafting 3 wii CPUs wouldn't cut it.
Not happening.

#26 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

custom nintendo api custom opengl support as well as all the standard stuff that r7 type cores run

custom api for pushing gpu and lighting 32mb edram gpu 3mb catch again part or all edram not sram or partly sram a dedicated sound chip SOC

SYSTEM ON CHIP 128 BIT RING BUS 800mhz ish bus speed 800mhz ish gpu clock speed and ether a 1.6ghz to 2.0ghz tri core broadway or a custom new power 64 bit with out of order execution

im still backing that horse powerpc 32bit 4xx family a powerpc 476 fp BROADWAY-FIED but maybe a power64 bit we shall see im hoping they stick with broadway as ubisoft let slip over a year ago

Have people forgotten about the Power series energy management features?....

The CPU can shut down a core at a time anytime and fire it back up when needed.

It also reduces core frequency by half when full speed isn't being used. I has even been given an energy star rating for this.

The best power management in the industry.

So if someone is seeing a 1.6 ghz clock, while doing a core read, don't be surprised when that CPU clocks in at 3.2 ghz under load.

Not to mention the core count...

And no, grafting 3 wii CPUs wouldn't cut it.
Not happening.

im saying 1.6 ghz as thats the most common speed conected with the powerpc 32 bit system on chip design (wiiboy101) and im also saying 1.6ghz ish as a power 7 type deal would also own a xenon at that lower speed

a broadway tri core @ 1.6ghz with 3mb catch could be 15 x the power of broadway of wii i think wiiu will be around 40 watts total about a gamecube and wii combined in wattage

STOP THE CLOCK SPEED FANBOYING 1.6 TRI CORE BROADWAY OR POWER7 BASED CHIP WOULD OWN A XENON 3.2GHZ A DUALCORE CELERON SANDY BRIDGE AT 1.6GHZ OWNS A X360 CPU FFS

pentium 4 3.2ghz 6gflops / pentium m 1.7ghz 3.9gflops / dualcore atom 1.6ghz 4.2gflops

broadway cpu @ 729mhz 2.9gflops broadway cpu @ 1.6ghz 6gflops

3x broadway @ 1.6ghz 18 gflops if not a lot more iv ignored the xenon gflops as its marketing bull carp

Edited by silverismoney, 27 June 2012 - 05:04 PM.

#27 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

custom nintendo api custom opengl support as well as all the standard stuff that r7 type cores run

custom api for pushing gpu and lighting 32mb edram gpu 3mb catch again part or all edram not sram or partly sram a dedicated sound chip SOC

SYSTEM ON CHIP 128 BIT RING BUS 800mhz ish bus speed 800mhz ish gpu clock speed and ether a 1.6ghz to 2.0ghz tri core broadway or a custom new power 64 bit with out of order execution

im still backing that horse powerpc 32bit 4xx family a powerpc 476 fp BROADWAY-FIED but maybe a power64 bit we shall see im hoping they stick with broadway as ubisoft let slip over a year ago

im saying 1.6 ghz as thats the most common speed conected with the powerpc 32 bit system on chip design (wiiboy101) and im also saying 1.6ghz ish as a power 7 type deal would also own a xenon at that lower speed

a broadway tri core @ 1.6ghz with 3mb catch could be 15 x the power of broadway of wii i think wiiu will be around 40 watts total about a gamecube and wii combined in wattage

STOP THE CLOCK SPEED FANBOYING 1.6 TRI CORE BROADWAY OR POWER7 BASED CHIP WOULD OWN A XENON 3.2GHZ A DUALCORE CELERON SANDY BRIDGE AT 1.6GHZ OWNS A X360 CPU FFS

pentium 4 3.2ghz 6gflops / pentium m 1.7ghz 3.9gflops / dualcore atom 1.6ghz 4.2gflops

broadway cpu @ 729mhz 2.9gflops broadway cpu @ 1.6ghz 6gflops

3x broadway @ 1.6ghz 18 gflops if not a lot more iv ignored the xenon gflops as its marketing bull carp

Broadway is dead.
Power 7 is the underlying tech. That's where the out of order execution comes from.

I hear you that a faster old CPU is still decent. But it would take more to bring it up to par than to customize power 7.

#28 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

Broadway is dead.
Power 7 is the underlying tech. That's where the out of order execution comes from.

I hear you that a faster old CPU is still decent. But it would take more to bring it up to par than to customize power 7.

im not saying 100% but to say its dead again is miss leading LIKE GAFFERS they keep telling us a family of cpus are DEAD wait a second SYSTEM ON CHIP UP TO 16 CORES ON A CHIP UPTO 2.0GHZ is not dead its clearly next gen

lol @ DEAD core duo and core 2 duo and sandy bridge are all based on PENTIUM 3 ,,yes i agree power 7 derived is just as possible as broadway SOC im saying as far as im concerned its a 50/50

the leak suggests 3x broadway and the ubisoft developer A LONG WAYS BACK said same as wii but api now supports multi core that says same as wii so its ether broadway newer version or a power7 thats FOLLOWING THE BROADWAY and making it POWER64BIT

im hapy ether way your broadway is dead statment seems to be based on fear WHAT WOULD MR PS3 FAN THINK OH ITS UNDERPOWERED WHAT AM I TO DO

tri core broadway ISNT underpowered and everyone said gekko was dead before wii specs went public and claimed a POWERPC G5 and the ps3 and xtard fanboys claimed multicore g5's

xenoN cores are nothing like G5's xenoN 1 execution unit broadway 5 exection units and G5 's depending how you look at it 9 to 11 exection units

xenoN is a joke its internals and catch harp back to pentium 1 era chips THATS A FACT X360 FANBOYS

SO RAM GUYS FAST RAM OR FAST RAM AND SLOW RAM OR JUST PLAIN SLOW RAM

remember wii has 2 pools of ram outside the catch and buffers so did gamecube so WHY NOT Wii U

Edited by silverismoney, 27 June 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#29 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

im guessing theres going to be seperate ram to keep the o.s. cpu-free and to speed up the controller streaming
alongside 1gb of usable ram and a quarter for the video card
that seems like it

the o.s and controller sync ram would be quite fast, while the main is the speed of a mid-level ddr3

Edited by uh20, 27 June 2012 - 09:13 PM.

:laugh:

#30 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

I'm just thinking. what prevents Nintendo from having 1GB GDDR5 RAM built into the graphics card, and have two slots of SDRAM of 512mb each. Isn't RAM at mass manufacturing costs really cheap? The same with 8GB storage. Can't the Wii U have two models, one with 8GB and one with 64GB at different costs?

Also I really hope that when IGN buy a Wii U and open it up they find the rumoured second set of really cheap CPUs that control the OS and game-pad streaming. It'd be nice to allow the main tri/quad core to function completely for games.

#31 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:46 AM

I'm just thinking. what prevents Nintendo from having 1GB GDDR5 RAM built into the graphics card, and have two slots of SDRAM of 512mb each. Isn't RAM at mass manufacturing costs really cheap? The same with 8GB storage. Can't the Wii U have two models, one with 8GB and one with 64GB at different costs?

Also I really hope that when IGN buy a Wii U and open it up they find the rumoured second set of really cheap CPUs that control the OS and game-pad streaming. It'd be nice to allow the main tri/quad core to function completely for games.

It all depends on what Nintendo thinks they need. They won't spend an extra buck on something that won't improve the system. This way they save money.

#32 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:08 AM

It all depends on what Nintendo thinks they need. They won't spend an extra buck on something that won't improve the system. This way they save money.

Wasn't the number one complaint of all 7th Gen systems was lack of RAM? I know they've doubled or even tripped the amount of RAM, But a lot of developers have said they'd really love to be working with a minimum of 4GB.

Anyway does anyone think that the Wii U will have 8, 9 or 12 threads it its CPU?

Edited by Penguin101, 28 June 2012 - 01:11 AM.

#33 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

Wasn't the number one complaint of all 7th Gen systems was lack of RAM? I know they've doubled or even tripped the amount of RAM, But a lot of developers have said they'd really love to be working with a minimum of 4GB.

Anyway does anyone think that the Wii U will have 8, 9 or 12 threads it its CPU?

To be honest, I don't know if they complained about RAM. I am sure they wanted it, but I know they don't need 4GB of ram. They will if they start having background processing. The question Nintendo would need to ask is, at what point does it begin to have the same effect? Does having 4GB of RAM make the console better, or much better, then 2GB? What is the least amount of RAM needed to produce 1080p graphics for next gen engines? That's the question being asked, and only they can answer it.

And I don't know about the CPU. I would also believe the same question would be asked. What is the least of number threads needed to produce next-gen graphics? Nintendo needs the Wii U to be at the $299 price range, and they need it to be powerful. It's a hard bargin to make, but they can and will. I am sure.

#34 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:44 AM

terrible speed gddr5 is slower than gddr3 at comunication speed its terrible for data latentcy its very slow i cannot see nintendo relying on slow azz ram....

fc ram 1t sram edram etc are very very fast nintendo must have a trick up there sleaves
  • PowerPC architecture.
  • Three cores (fully coherent).
  • 3MB aggregate L2 Cache size.
  • core 0: 512 KB
  • core 1: 2048 KB
  • core 2: 512 KB
  • Write gatherer per core.
  • Locked (L1d) cache DMA per core. THAT CPU SPEC LEAK SUGGESTS 3 CORE BROADWAY OR A POWER CPU ACTING THE SAME WAY AS BROADWAY BUT AT 64 BIT NOT 32 BIT
a power7 based design or a powerpc 32bit contiued design

To be honest, I don't know if they complained about RAM. I am sure they wanted it, but I know they don't need 4GB of ram. They will if they start having background processing. The question Nintendo would need to ask is, at what point does it begin to have the same effect? Does having 4GB of RAM make the console better, or much better, then 2GB? What is the least amount of RAM needed to produce 1080p graphics for next gen engines? That's the question being asked, and only they can answer it.
And I don't know about the CPU. I would also believe the same question would be asked. What is the least of number threads needed to produce next-gen graphics? Nintendo needs the Wii U to be at the $299 price range, and they need it to be powerful. It's a hard bargin to make, but they can and will. I am sure.

THREADS HAS ZERO TO DO WITH GRAPHICS OR GENS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a cpu with a single core no threads can still out perform a dual core with 4 threads IF ITs A BETTER CPU threads is meaningless il say the wiiu cpu is 3core no threading so to speak

gekko and broadway supported dual core mode and vector mode = threading and out of order cpus multi task and thread from one core VERY VERY WELL xenon needed threads it was a VERY INLINE CPU

Edited by silverismoney, 30 June 2012 - 12:46 AM.

#35 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

@silverismonkey There is no reason to yell. Having more processors, more cores and more threads will help the game with many different operations. But what your saying has no baring on my point: Nintendo is trying to find the least amount of power needed to produce next gen graphics. They want the console to be cheap, need it to be affordable. They also need to future proof the console, so to speak.

But don't lecture me that a single core processor could out perform a multicore processor when it is handling multiple processes. The AI, two screens, motion control, background tasks (such as Web browser), and the graphics. Multiple processors and threads would help that.

#36 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

I hope now this multi-core processor is called the triforce CPU and each spereate core called "power" "wisdom" and "courage"

Edited by Penguin101, 01 July 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#37 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:17 AM

I hope now this multi-core processor is called the triforce CPU and each spereate core called "power" "wisdom" and "courage"

LOL That would be awesome

#38 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:33 AM

You missed what I meant. I meant Nintendo fans know the systems are great already. But nobody actually gives a **** about what exactly is in the system.

Then we wonder how you got in here?

If you don't care about specs and stuff like that then why are you even in this section?

28gxdv8.png

#39 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

I am going to guess that... The Wii U...

RUNS ON ELECTRICITY!!!

#40 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

Ok I have a slight change in mind to what the Wii U CPU will have

- 3-core Broadway/POWER7 Hybrid
- 3Ghz
- 9 threads
- L1 64k (32+32)/core
- L2 3MB
- L3 12MB
- 60w power draw

512MB SDDR3 RAM

GPU

- 1x Custom AMD Radeon HD chip
- 750Mhz
- 1.3TFLOPs
- 80w Power draw
- 1024MB GDDR5 RAM
- 32MB eDRAM

Compared to Xbox 8
-------------------------------

XBox 8

- 1x 8 core Intel Xeon E5-2650
- 2Ghz
- 16 threads
- 20MB L3 Cache
- 90w power draw
- 4 cores (8 threads, 10MB L3) for games
- 4 cores (8 threads 10MB L3) for kinect 2, smartglass, OS, AR glasses)

2GB SDDR3 RAM

- 1x 3-core 3.2Ghz Xenon (backwards comparability ONLY)

GPU

- 1x AMD Radeon 6870
- 2TFLOPS
- 151w Power Draw
- 2048MB GDDR5 RAM
- 32MB eDRAM

----------

PS4

Going by current rumours

- AMD Quad Core APU
- 3.2Ghz
- L1 128k (64 + 64)/core
- L2 cache 4MB
GPU AMD Radeon HD 7970
- 925Mhz
- 3.7TFLOPS
- 3GB GDDR5 RAM
- 300w totalPower draw

1GB SDDR3 RAM

Edited by Penguin101, 05 July 2012 - 09:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!