Photo

Gamer Economic Pros Needed for trade-in advice.

trade in gamestop credit

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Matten

Matten

Red Koopa Troopa

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii this site.

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

I just signed up for the forums right now to make this post. I plan to stick around because I'm excited about the Wii U of course.

Now onto the issue. I want to purchase the Wii U and some accessories but I want to do it in the most economic fashion possible. I have some trade-ins that I can do at my local Gamestop but I'm not sure whether I should get the cash for them or the store credit, because I heard the store credit degrades over time? I missed the entire Wii generation console and games due to the fact that I played PC games during that time but was a huge Nintendo fan before that (NES, SNES, N64, & GC).

I want to get back into Nintendo for Wii U but I am unsure of what accessories I may need & if they are backwards compatible to work for the Wii U, what luxury items I might need, and how should I go about getting the most out of the products I already own through gamestop. Should I return them for instore credit and hold my credit until Wii U comes out even if credit degrades over time? Or should I return them for cash and just save the cash?

I own:
250g xbox 360 (new slim black model) - if traded in before 7/15 I'll get extra 25% credit, employee said it will be worth 125-130 in store credit. 70 dollars cash otherwise.
1 wireless black controller - no idea of worth
GTA4 + Episodes from Liberty City - probably worth 10 in store credit?
Final Fantasy 13 - probably worth 7 in store credit?
Final Fantasy 13-2 - probably worth 15 in store credit?
Battlefield 3 - probably worth 15 in store credit?

Just got a text message from a friend saying he might buy it for 150 cash if I throw in a controller and game but I'm not sure if he actually will.

What would you do if you were in my position and wanted to get rid of this stuff (while it still holds some value) and wanted to get the Wii U and good accessories for a proper setup come launch time. Any advice or comments welcome. Thanks!

Edited by Matten, 29 June 2012 - 05:58 PM.

#2 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

Let me give you a quick bit of advice.

NEVER, EVER TRADE ANYTHING INTO GAMESTOP EVER IN THE HISTORY OF YOUR LIFE OR YOU WILL BE SCAMMED BIG TIME

Now that that's over with, let's continue onward.

I've done a bit of looking around on eBay and such, and I think you would have no problem getting $200-250 on Craigslist, or $250-275 with free shipping on eBay.. Of course, this is assuming that your Xbox is the newer slim black model, and the games you've listed have the case/manual and are in fairly good shape.

Edited by GameCollector, 29 June 2012 - 05:55 PM.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#3 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

From my experience my store credit has never degraded over time, when you trade in for store credit you get way more than you would get in cash so I would just get the store credit. Or you could tell your friend, I'll sell you all of this stuff for just 6 easy payments of $99.99.

Oh and also from what I've heard I think that Best Buy may give you more trade in credit.

#4 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Elder Scrolls, LoZ

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

Yeah. If you can, try selling on ebay or craigslist. It takes a little more effort, but you'll end up getting more money that way.
The only advantage to trading with GameStop is the convenience of it all, which is pretty much what you pay for in your losses.
It's up to you.

#5 Matten

Matten

Red Koopa Troopa

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii this site.

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

I appreciate the advice so far. I'm glad to hear that maybe store credit doesn't degrade.

I really don't want to do eBay as I've never fiddled with it before and feel like I could get scammed or something. I know that is a ridiculous thing to say but maybe the truth is I don't know much about eBay and I'd probably feel a little uncomfortable making my first transaction be so large.

#6 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

Eb games Canada is not like the US stores. They have awesome deals with trade ins. They add extra credit if you trade towards a new console. By trading in my 360, two controllers and 5 games I only had to pay $72 for my vita (regular $277 with taxes included).

I can't help you if you are in the states.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#7 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

I appreciate the advice so far. I'm glad to hear that maybe store credit doesn't degrade.

I really don't want to do eBay as I've never fiddled with it before and feel like I could get scammed or something. I know that is a ridiculous thing to say but maybe the truth is I don't know much about eBay and I'd probably feel a little uncomfortable making my first transaction be so large.

Try for Craigslist then. That normally goes well. It's not that hard either.

You just give a quick, semidetailed list of what you have, a couple pictures, and a number/email address to reach you at for further information.

Edited by GameCollector, 30 June 2012 - 04:30 PM.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!