Photo

Let's Talk IPs!

1st Party New Character

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

Poll: IPs People Want (281 member(s) have cast votes)

If Nintendo were to roll out a totally new 1st or 2nd party IP, what kind of game would most interest you?

1. A Platformer (classic Mario style) (23 votes [8.19%])

Percentage of vote: 8.19%

2. An Adventure Game (like Zelda or Metroid) (105 votes [37.37%])

Percentage of vote: 37.37%

3. A Simulator/Shooter (like Starfox) (12 votes [4.27%])

Percentage of vote: 4.27%

4. A Strategy Game (like Pikmin) (8 votes [2.85%])

Percentage of vote: 2.85%

5. An RPG (like Golden Sun) (64 votes [22.78%])

Percentage of vote: 22.78%

6. An FPS/Shooter (like GoldenEye or, arguably, Metroid Prime) (39 votes [13.88%])

Percentage of vote: 13.88%

7. Other (like all the great genre defying games I don't have the presence of mind to mention) (30 votes [10.68%])

Percentage of vote: 10.68%

What kind of tone are you wanting from a new IP?

1. Super Casual/Party Game (Mii Games) (6 votes [2.14%])

Percentage of vote: 2.14%

2. Fun/Lighthearted (Mario Galaxy) (37 votes [13.17%])

Percentage of vote: 13.17%

3. Dramatic/Slightly Intense (Twilight Princess or Metroid Prime) (128 votes [45.55%])

Percentage of vote: 45.55%

4. Serious, Intense/Dark (Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem)) (53 votes [18.86%])

Percentage of vote: 18.86%

5. Dark/Scary, Intense and Violent (Resident Evil, Dead Space, Etc.) (34 votes [12.10%])

Percentage of vote: 12.10%

6. Other (hey, I don't want to put you in a box) (23 votes [8.19%])

Percentage of vote: 8.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

So, I love the Nintendo IPs... franchises like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, Pokemon, Pikmin, and the like have kept me entertained since childhood. There's nothing wrong, however, with hoping for something new and exciting - a new world with new themes to explore and new people to meet.

Personally, I was immensely grateful when Nintendo put their support behind efforts like GoldenEye and Eternal Darkness. These offerings were a bit more "mature" (I hate to use that word, because of its ironically juvenile implications regarding mindless violence and gratuitous sexuality) than their standard fare, and filled a niche in the market (and in my game library) that was somewhat missing. I like some intense, scary, and downright gritty games every once in a while, and I like hard-hitting, thematically complex epics any time I can get them (gritty or otherwise).

I want to know, however... am I in the actual minority of Nintendo fans regarding the kind of game I want to play on the new system? What kind of game are you dying to see? And if Nintendo were to come out with a totally new Intellectual Property, what kind of game would you be dreaming for?

#2 GunGoomba

GunGoomba

Friend of Bulbmins

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, Mario, Peach, Zelda. Yoshi

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

Pikmin, Mario, Zelda, Mother, and Yoshi combined into one genre! It sounds impossible but it could be cool!

Edited by GunGoomba, 15 June 2011 - 04:34 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Icebreaker

Icebreaker

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

I wouldn't mind a Pokemon/Dragon Quest-like RPG with slightly darker visuals, like Metroid or Twilight Princess.

#4 Camcam281

Camcam281

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kid icarus, Mario kart, and OoT :)

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:31 PM

I think a FPS would be awesome. I can't wait to see what they would be able to do with the controller <_< can't wait
Posted Image

#5 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:39 PM

@Narcidius
You and I are in the exact same boat, my friend. I love most all Nintendo IPs and have spent countless hours playing Nintendo 1st party games. IMO, Nintendo has some of the brightest minds in the industry when it comes to developing software. I would be very interested to see what kind of gameplay mechanics, story, and sense of drama or intensity they can create. Its kind of weird because new Mario or Zelda games do satisfy long-time Nintendo fans. But us long time fans (started gaming in the mid-80s to early 90s) have more grown up tastes now. Not that we don't enjoy the adventure or challenge of a Zelda or Mario game, but we also enjoy games what quite literally have mature themes (death, loss, morality). Luckily, Nintendo is creating a machine capable of projecting an environment that appears "real" (not cartoony or "artistic")and can help immerse gamers into the games they are playing. The good news is, we can now purchase a console that is capable of satisfying our traditional Nintendo needs and our "hardcore" or adults needs as well.

If Nintendo created a new IP, I would want them to create some kinds of third person shooter/action/adventure game. After playing Gears of War and Army of Two, I can only imagine what the bright minds at Nintendo could come up with to create a fresh, dazzling game with great gameplay, especially with the new controller.

Edited by Fig, 15 June 2011 - 05:41 PM.

#6 SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Fandom:
    NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, Wii, 3DS, Wii U

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Something like Mario Galaxy.
No signature here....

#7 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

I would want a fun, lightec hearted RPG, something that is engaging but doesn't take it's self seriously. Something with the atmosphere of portal.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#8 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

I've recently got back into playing Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. I love what nintendo can bring to the RPG genre, and I'd really be curious to see them come out with a new and fresh RPG series. Possibly even one set in more modern times (like with guns rather than swords). With a dark tone (post apocalyptic maybe) and modern day weapons, nintendo could create a new darker franchise for the more mature and hardcore Nintendo fan base.

#9 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:20 PM

I would want a fun, lightec hearted RPG, something that is engaging but doesn't take it's self seriously. Something with the atmosphere of portal.

Lol. Wish I had read your post before I made mine. I like how we both want RPGs but we want them to take it in completely different directions! <_<

#10 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

I would want a new RPG but made similar to the way that sega made the Phantasy Star games. I mean the old Phantasy Star games. They were light hearted but also dark. A good mix of that in the game was be just perfect for me. The story of those games use to make me happy, sad, and mad.

#11 MagmaBeatles

MagmaBeatles

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Fandom:
    Shin Megami Tensei, Zelda and Metroid

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

Just to confirm, Golden Sun isn't Nintendo's IP. It belongs to Camelot.

Anyways, Nintendo hasn't made an RPG since Mother 3, so I'd really like to see one of those.

#12 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:59 AM

I want to have an adventure game with an open world, that will take a long time to complete 100%. I'd want any new IP to be fun and lighthearted, without being too casual. It'd also be interesting if Nintendo made a brand new FPS game, although it doesn't seem very Nintendo.

#13 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:20 AM

Not that we don't enjoy the adventure or challenge of a Zelda or Mario game, but we also enjoy games what quite literally have mature themes (death, loss, morality).

Well stated... honestly, I had Gears in mind too as the kind of franchise that is gritty/violent without being facile. This doesn't seem like Nintendo's cup of tea, but again, I've been surprised before. Here's hoping!

#14 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:27 AM

Just to confirm, Golden Sun isn't Nintendo's IP. It belongs to Camelot.

Thanks for the clarification... rereading it, it really does seem like I was implying that it was Nintendo's IP. Incidentally, I had a hard time thinking of examples for some of these genres, even considering good 3rd party software (like Golden Sun)... Mario RPG has a strong fan base (so I guess I could have mentioned that, to stick with the theme), but I have to admit I just don't get it. Fire Emblem and some of the classic FF releases are the best I could think of, but I went with Golden Sun because it has a modern look and is JUST... SO... GOOD!

Also, good point about the Mother series... that was some zany fun, and I'd love another installment.

#15 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:24 AM

I'm pretty sure XenoBlade is a Nintendo IP. I'm not sure about last Story but it might be too.

There's Disaster: Day of Crisis but that game needs to be rebooted to be worthwhile.

Then there's Pandora's Tower.

It would be nice if Nintendo bought a couple of small, talented devs or created one or two new ones.

Regardless of the "Nintendo rehashes old IPs all the time" argument you hear so often, they always make new IPS every generation. Even on their handhelds.

I don't think next gen will be any different. We just have to see what we get.

Edited by Play4Fun, 16 June 2011 - 07:32 AM.

You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#16 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

It's seems like a lot of us want an RPG. Whether it's an entirely new one, or the long awaited return of the Mother series.

#17 MetaMS

MetaMS

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:44 AM

I want to see Nintendo's take on an MMO type of game. It should be completely new as well. New characters and maybe a few Legend of zelda cameos as well.

#18 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:51 AM

I want to see Nintendo's take on an MMO type of game. It should be completely new as well. New characters and maybe a few Legend of zelda cameos as well.

What about an MMO that takes place entirely in the world of Nintendo. It would be crazy. Possibly crazy awesome, possibly crazy awful.

#19 AWB

AWB

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:14 AM

I want something new, as much as I like Nintendo's franchises, they have become predictable.
Game History: PC, GameBoy, GameBoy Advance, Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo GameBoy Advance SP, Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DSi, Nintendo 3DS.
Buying Soon: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Mario Kart 3D, Animal Crossing 3D, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Super Mario 3D.

#20 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

I want something new, as much as I like Nintendo's franchises, they have become predictable.

^ this

I want a new game developed by nintendo that is not so predictable like Mario. I want a adventure game with interesting elements built in to it. Maybe a survival game where you are stranded in the jungle and have to build shelter, find food, and explore to survive with a Interesting twist in a storyline in which he is actually stuck in the muiltiuniverse. Yea, and actually interesting protagonists

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1st Party New, Character

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!