• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Dov13

Dov13

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:09 PM

it looks like the wii u is going to have a lot of "hardcore" games like assasins creed, tom clanceys ghost recon online, darksiders 2. but what if your like me, and you dont like those games that much? do you think theres going to be mostly harcore games, mostly casual games, or a mix of both?

#2 Chipsqueek

Chipsqueek

Goomba

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Fandom:
    Rune Factory, Dragon Quest

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

I'm guessing (and hoping) there will be a mix of both.

#3 HermantoWang

HermantoWang

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

I'm guessing (and hoping) there will be a mix of both.

I agree with this

#4 Camcam281

Camcam281

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kid icarus, Mario kart, and OoT :)

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

Hopefully, as said above it will be a mix. And knowing Nintendo, they will push to have the outcome be a mix. I am sure we won't be disappointed <_<
Posted Image

#5 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:11 PM

I think there will be a nice mix. I can't say that the wiiU will have the most casual games of the next gen consoles (I really hope they don't), but the casual games Nintendo puts out are usually pretty well executed.

#6 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:12 PM

it looks like the wii u is going to have a lot of "hardcore" games like assasins creed, tom clanceys ghost recon online, darksiders 2. but what if your like me, and you dont like those games that much? do you think theres going to be mostly harcore games, mostly casual games, or a mix of both?

I noticed you only focused on the steroetype hardcore game. The wiiu will have a lot more then that. I can tell you that it's more then just the "hardcorez" games on the system

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#7 Dov13

Dov13

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

I noticed you only focused on the steroetype hardcore game. The wiiu will have a lot more then that. I can tell you that it's more then just the "hardcorez" games on the system

i know, but a lot of games that are coming out seem to be like that. there were a lot of light hearted games shown a e3 for wii u ,but the wii u , from what i heard, is meant to have a lot of hardcore games . what worries me is that there will be more hardcore games then lighthearted or casual games

#8 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:42 PM

i know, but a lot of games that are coming out seem to be like that. there were a lot of light hearted games shown a e3 for wii u ,but the wii u , from what i heard, is meant to have a lot of hardcore games . what worries me is that there will be more hardcore games then lighthearted or casual games

There is going to be a good variety of games for the Wii U, what kind of 'lighthearted' casual games are you referring to?

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#9 MagmaBeatles

MagmaBeatles

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Fandom:
    Shin Megami Tensei, Zelda and Metroid

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:05 PM

The term "hardcore" has lost its meaning over the years. A hardcore gamer is someone who puts a lot of their time into games. Playing them, researching info about them, you name it. They generally have a wide knowledge of games. It is NOT someone who just sits there and plays CoD online all of the time.

A hardcore game can be anything that isn't a family/party game. So yes, games like Super Mario Bros., Pikmin and Donkey Kong are all hardcore games. A game doesn't have to have a lot of blood and violence to be hardcore, it just has to be a game that takes a lot of skill, is really challenging and isn't just a one-time thing.

So if you aren't into the games that you mentioned, that doesn't mean you don't like hardcore games. It just means you aren't into those sorts of games.

Anyways, I'm sure there'll be some casual games on the Wii U like Wii U sports and Wii U play.

#10 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:45 PM

The term "hardcore" has lost its meaning over the years. A hardcore gamer is someone who puts a lot of their time into games. Playing them, researching info about them, you name it. They generally have a wide knowledge of games. It is NOT someone who just sits there and plays CoD online all of the time.

A hardcore game can be anything that isn't a family/party game. So yes, games like Super Mario Bros., Pikmin and Donkey Kong are all hardcore games. A game doesn't have to have a lot of blood and violence to be hardcore, it just has to be a game that takes a lot of skill, is really challenging and isn't just a one-time thing.

So if you aren't into the games that you mentioned, that doesn't mean you don't like hardcore games. It just means you aren't into those sorts of games.

Anyways, I'm sure there'll be some casual games on the Wii U like Wii U sports and Wii U play.

I wish more people will realize that and I hate the hardcore word. To me it should be experienced gamer or avid gamer. Hardcore means nothing to me.

#11 SonofMrPeanut

SonofMrPeanut

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:21 PM

Despite the large number of "hardcore" titles, it's way too early to say those dominate the launch window. Certain "hardcore" titles were confirmed and casual titles outside of the demos were downplayed to keep the dogs at bay, but their approach with the console is to continue games for everyone and games for just you. I'm sure there will be a healthy mix.

Edited by SonofMrPeanut, 15 June 2011 - 11:05 PM.

"Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins." - Ricardo Montalban, Freakazoid!

Posted Image

#12 hohi

hohi

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:40 PM

^ This

I agree with you <_<

On Topic: Yes, there will be a mix of genres for WiiU. Nintendo concentrated on mature/bloody/etc games during the E3 is just to show to everyone that they are trying to pull gamers that likes mature/bloody/etc into WiiU.

Edited by hohi, 15 June 2011 - 09:42 PM.

#13 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:52 PM

I think that the Wii U will have a nice mix of intense and casual games. Nintendo made a lot of money from casual gamers in the last generation, so I don't think they'll want to lose those customers. They'll just want to win over some of the "hardcore" gamers who didn't like the Wii.

#14 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:20 AM

"hardcore gamer" means different things to different people. Nintendo say that Zelda is hardcore, some say that mature is hardcore and marketeers say that hardcore means those that buy more than average amounts of games.

To answer the question, I think Nintendo are going out of their way not to limit this machines appeal, it is visually designed to appeal to casual gamers, hence the sneering of those who think of themselves as hardcore, but the power and configuration is designed to make life easy for third party developers. And third party devs will bring some of the "hardcore" with them to the Wii U.

Nintendo, themselves are never going to make killer/death/zombie games, so don't think they have abandoned their fan market, they are merely holding off in house product to woo third party devs who are afraid to go up against them in direct competition.

#15 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:38 AM

You think Nintendo will suddenly stop making 1st party games?
You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#16 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:01 AM

Yeah, the terms "casual" and "hardcore" are very ambiguous. While I affirm the posters above who define "hardcore" as people who play games often or buy a lot of games, I think a helpful distinction in software would be between games that are complex (or "deep") experiences with a LOT to do, a lot to learn, and a lot to master, and games that are intentionally created as simple (or "shallow", but not in a pejorative sense) experiences (i.e. easy to understand, easy to play, not overwhelming in terms of scope).

The hardcore gamers that are not just whining incoherently are usually asking for DEEP experiences - for games that are difficult to master and have a lot to discover (by this definition, even Pokemon could count, and I think it does, but Monster Hunter is a better example). Lots of hardcore gamers also happen to want their games violent and gritty (for personal taste reasons), but I don't think this deserves to be included in the category as part of the definition. I love me some Resident Evil... but I've logged FAR more hours into Pokemon.

I think that Nintendo has already proven that they will have great support for casual gamers. There are the Mii apps (Chase Mii and Battle Mii) demoed at E3, as well as the inevitable WiiSportsU, Mario Party U, etc. I hear your worries, OP, but I think you can rest assured that Nintendo will not ignore you. They have a lot of new fans who want to play casually, with friends and family or just for some quick entertainment in the evening, and they will not ignore that fan base!

#17 AWB

AWB

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:26 AM

I wonder if CoD is really good on the Wii U, the normal "hardcore" players on the PS360 might migrate over to the Wii U.
Game History: PC, GameBoy, GameBoy Advance, Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo GameBoy Advance SP, Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DSi, Nintendo 3DS.
Buying Soon: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Mario Kart 3D, Animal Crossing 3D, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Super Mario 3D.

#18 Marc

Marc

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Fandom:
    Resident Evil, Zelda, Metroid, Mario

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:40 AM

I have always been a hardcore gamer at heart...mostly Nintendo and Sega, then played a lot of PC games like Half-Life for years as well as my N64. So FPS and what people assume as being 'hardcore' is great and all, but a good mix would be great! I'd buy what I want as Wii U can cater for everyone! SWEEEEEET!!
BANGIN!

My body is ready. ^_^

#19 Limelight788

Limelight788

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dragon Ball, Nintendo, Gran Turismo

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

I think we'll see a nice variety of casual and core games for the Wii.

The Official Mega Man for SSB4 Thread

megaman-2.gif

Want Mega Man in Super Smash Bros. 4? Click on the link in the text and show your support!

#20 Ruthie

Ruthie

Blooper

• Writers
  • 170 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Final Fantasy, Uncharted, Ratchet

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:08 PM

I think that there will be a lot of casual titles on the Wii U but maybe not as much as the Wii. Still, there will be a fair amount of them on the Wii U I'm guessing.
Assistant Writer of Wii U Go and Vita/3DS enthusiast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!