Photo

RUMOUR: Nintendo looking to buy back Rare + franchises, Retro making Banjo Wii U

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 zzuxon

zzuxon

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • NNID:zzuxon
  • Fandom:
    Mario LoZ Kirby SSB Pikmin

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

Rare is a husk of it's former glory. Banjo Kazooie went to crap with nuts-and-bolts, and Nintendo still owns DK. As much as I love Banjo Kazooie, it simply wouldn't be worth it.

#22 Varg

Varg

Spiny

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Fandom:
    FInal Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Zelda

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

Even though this is most likely just another fake rumor, i would hope they can at least pay rare to allow nintendo to release some classic n64 games on the eshop for Wii U. DK 64, Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct Gold just to name a few. Would be really nice.

#23 SpacePope

SpacePope

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

Rare is a husk of it's former glory.

Exactly. Rare was sold in 2002, and that was 10 years ago. Since then it was all down hill for that studio...obviously the rumor is bull, except to those who can't look past a name.

#24 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:19 AM

Rare is a husk of it's former glory. Banjo Kazooie went to crap with nuts-and-bolts, and Nintendo still owns DK. As much as I love Banjo Kazooie, it simply wouldn't be worth it.

Exactly. Rare was sold in 2002, and that was 10 years ago. Since then it was all down hill for that studio...obviously the rumor is bull, except to those who can't look past a name.

You guys are funny. :T

If Nintendo buys back Rare, it doesn't HAVE to be Rare making the games. Nintendo has plenty of ready, willing, and able divisions ready to make a game in any of Rare's fantastic series.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#25 JIMBOISAJIMBO

JIMBOISAJIMBO

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

Well Crytek recently said they were working with with Nintendo on something and they have some of the old Rare team from Free Radical so you never know. If Nintendo are looking at old franchises to win back the 'core Rare certainly have a few jewels in the crown.

#26 SleepyGuyy

SleepyGuyy

Blooper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Fandom:
    DOUBLE CHEESE BURGER WENDY'S

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

This is good. I wonder if Banjo Kazooie contains "Barrel Rolls".... because the next Retro game has those, as stated in a flimsey quote a while back.

But yeah.... Killer Instinct is also something I'd like to see. And Banjo...
BUT NOT THE GHOULIES

Hopefully Nintendo can repair what Microsoft did to RARE.
Posted Image

#27 Slim Shady

Slim Shady

Pls stand up

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

I herd dis a while ago but too bad its no true :/

So I get off stage right and drop the mic

Walk up to these hot chicks and im all like

"Sup ladies, my names Slim Shady.

I'm the lead singer in D12 baby"

#28 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

While it would be awesome, its highly unlikely. And as for Rare's glory days being over - Microsoft is to blame for that. They bought them and then smothered their creativity and most the original members left. However, if Nintendo bought Rare and the rights to their IP's back...I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to bring on new developers OR return old developers to make Rare great again...Still want a new Perfect Dark on a Nintendo Console...
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#29 iShuys

iShuys

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Rare need to be bought, dismantled, and then re-hire everyone who used to work for them.....

Completely agree. RARE would be better than ever if that happened.

#30 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

If Nintendo buys back Rare, it doesn't HAVE to be Rare making the games. Nintendo has plenty of ready, willing, and able divisions ready to make a game in any of Rare's fantastic series.

This makes even less sense.

What's the point of buying a studio, if you're going to do the work for them?

#31 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

This makes even less sense.

What's the point of buying a studio, if you're going to do the work for them?

For the many valuable IPs that would practically print money that Rare's currently sitting on.

Come on, use your imagination. Don't give me the "well, they're not relevant anymore" spiel either. Such was the case with Rayman, and now that franchise is very relevant with the creation of Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends.

GameZombie44.png

#32 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

For the many valuable IPs that would practically print money that Rare's currently sitting on.

Come on, use your imagination. Don't give me the "well, they're not relevant anymore" spiel either. Such was the case with Rayman, and now that franchise is very relevant with the creation of Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends.

What valuable IPs? Banjo Kazooie and Viva Pinata? Nintendo has plenty of different IPs already. If Nintendo wants to revive an IP, they should revive the ones they aren't using - Not go through the efforts of buying a studio just so they can get their ancient IPs.

As for Rayman, Rayman is owned by Ubisoft, who has been far more active than Rare ever has this generation. It isn't a matter of whether or not the character is relevant otherwise we wouldn't have threads like this. It's all about Rare and if they're even capable of making games like they did with the Nintendo 64. Face it, Nintendo has no reason to buy Rare at this point in time - It'd be a bad investment.

Edited by Lain, 27 August 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#33 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

What valuable IPs?

Gee, I dunno, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Conker, Killer Instinct and Battletoads to name a few. Just small things like that. :rolleyes:

Nintendo has plenty of different IPs already.

So? More IPs couldn't be a bad thing.

If Nintendo wants to revive an IP, they should revive the ones they aren't using - Not go through the efforts of buying a studio just so they can get their ancient IPs.

You say "ancient IP" like it actually means something. (Huge hint: It doesn't.)

More On Topic with your sentence: They're actually doing a fairly good job with keeping up with old franchises, last I checked. Ones they haven't redone probably don't deserve to be remade, aside from Startropics that is.

As for Rayman, Rayman is owned by Ubisoft, who has been far more active than Rare ever has this generation. It isn't a matter of whether or not the character is relevant otherwise we wouldn't have threads like this.

Even so, Rayman was considered a dead series not too long ago. No, Rabbids do not count.

It's all about Rare and if they're even capable of making games like they did with the Nintendo 64.

We actually can't prove their capability because Microsoft keeps squandering any chance they get. Sure, Nuts and Bolts wasn't a fantastic entry in the Banjo franchise, but it was far from awful. They can't truly shine because they're not being given a chance.

Face it, Nintendo has no reason to buy Rare at this point in time - It'd be a bad investment.

Aside from fantastic IPs, extra manpower, and the ability to practically print money with the rights to use Rare's various IPs, I suppose you would be right.

Edited by GameCollector, 27 August 2012 - 01:57 PM.

GameZombie44.png

#34 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

No, Rabbids do not count.

BLASPHEMY!!

The rabbids are the heart and soul of what rayman is all about

#35 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

BLASPHEMY!!

The rabbids are the heart and soul of what rayman is all about

Posted Image

Edited by GameCollector, 27 August 2012 - 02:10 PM.

GameZombie44.png

#36 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

Posted Image

Lol i know this is where its at :D >>>>

Posted Image

One of my favorite N64 games when i was litte (thats not saying much sense i loved every N64 game i had but still)

In the Rabbids defense they were the best party game on the Wii, but still they were just ehh

Edited by Mitch13pavel, 27 August 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#37 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

Aside from fantastic IPs, extra manpower, and the ability to practically print money with the rights to use Rare's various IPs, I suppose you would be right.

Not quite.

Buying back Rare does not mean anything at all here. You suggest that Nintendo is some magical company that will ensure any game developed with Rare will be a great game that'll sell plenty and everyone will be happy.

I don't buy that. If so, explain Star Fox Adventures. Ever since a number of Rare's key members left to form Free Radical, Rare hasn't been in top shape. Plus, Microsoft isn't the cause for Rare's lack of quality as you also suggest - It's Rare that needs to fix themselves. To give you a better idea of what I'm refering to here, Nintendo often collaborated and compromised with Rare on their games (as they do with other studios). Microsoft often has Rare do the work themselves.

In any case, Nintendo does have plenty of IPs to work with besides the ones Rare have made. They're also more than capable of making their own new IPs.

Even so, Rayman was considered a dead series not too long ago. No, Rabbids do not count.

Rayman 2 has been ported to the Nintendo DS, the Nintendo 3DS, the PS2, and iOS.

Rayman remained relevant through a single game

Edited by Lain, 27 August 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#38 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

I honestly don't see Nintendo buying Rare for the IPs. The only reason I can see them doing it is for talent, and that is something that Rare lacks right now. Not saying the current team isn't talented, it's just not enough versus Microsoft's grip on the company.

From what I hear (I don't really follow Microsoft related material), Rare is their forefront of their Kinect gaming division. As it's one of Microsoft's current advertised materials in terms of gaming, I don't think they will let Rare go without asking for a massive sum, more than it should.

Because of that, it's not an investment that Nintendo will make anytime soon. Paying a lot more for a little less isn't the greatest business plan, at least in these terms. I'm more than certain Nintendo has all their workers on full steam ahead for other projects.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#39 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

I honestly don't see Nintendo buying Rare for the IPs. The only reason I can see them doing it is for talent, and that is something that Rare lacks right now. Not saying the current team isn't talented, it's just not enough versus Microsoft's grip on the company.

From what I hear (I don't really follow Microsoft related material), Rare is their forefront of their Kinect gaming division. As it's one of Microsoft's current advertised materials in terms of gaming, I don't think they will let Rare go without asking for a massive sum, more than it should.

Because of that, it's not an investment that Nintendo will make anytime soon. Paying a lot more for a little less isn't the greatest business plan, at least in these terms. I'm more than certain Nintendo has all their workers on full steam ahead for other projects.

I actually agree 100% with this. I think if Nintendo were to spend the kind of money Microsoft would command for Rare, I'd rather see them lock up some system exclusives by developers like Sega, Capcom, Square-Enix , etc etc. That would be a much better use of the money.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#40 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

If anything, they should buy out the talent at High Voltage. I assume it's a small studio, but the key point with this is to have FPS talented staff. I suppose you could say it's like giving Nintendo a doorway to some games more akin to mature players. The Conduit isn't exactly something I'd give to young players, but at the same time, it was silly enough to pass off as a Nintendo owned title.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!