#1 00stevo

00stevo

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Fandom:
    Resi,Halo,Metroid,Mario

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

Hi all,ive been following this site for about a month,and tbh some of the people posting about the Wii u's specs have me quite amused.

First off,everyone keeps banging on about the CPU inside the console,saying its not as powerful/is/ or isnt a match for the 360.

Can i just say a CPU does not need to be stupidly fast,its mainly the system RAM and GPU that bottlenecks the CPU. (at least in console history)

Lets get this straight: XBOX 360 CPU is 3.2ghz,tri core,with 6 threads total. When it was first released,it was a 90nm design,it was stupidly hot even PC's were running higher ghz with better more efficient technology.

Nowadays M$ has got it to 45nm,it runs cooler,more efficient,but its still the same cpu,and do you hear ANYONE complaining about its performance?
Even M$ have stated its mainly the system RAM/V-RAM and GPU processing that are the main bottlenecks.

That was like 7 years ago. So thats is an ice age in PC terms,and you know what?.....CPU's have come a long way. Even if the Wii-U's cpu is 'only' 2.9ghz,it WILL still outperform the 360 and most certainly the PS3 because its simply got more efficient clock cycles plus advances in cache etc etc.

How do you think they can squeeze a tri/quad core into a little box like that and not be fast/efficient?

And a educated guess will tell me the GPU will be a 6670,which is quite a bit inferior to a 6770. But thats another story.. Cheers.

And also,the 360 and PS3 have a total of 512mb ram,split between system and gpu respectively.

If the Wii-U does actually have 1.5gb ram shared,that is a HUGE increase and rest assured will demolish 360 and PS3.

And if its 2GB? Even better.

Lastly id like to state im no fanboy,i did own a wii and sold it,i also had a ps3 on 2 occasions and sold them both. I am a 360 gamer currently,but im definetily getting a Wii-U because i see the huge potential it has.

#2 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

First off, welcome to the forums. You appear to be a dude (chick maybe?) of some intelligence. Glad to have you here. :P

Second off, very good comparisons and statements. All of them make sense, and I see nothing to object about. Very good job. :)

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#3 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

its all up in the air but we have a basic understanding ,,and its next gen dont worry ,just wait and see like the rest of us and the cpu is likely a lot lower than 2.9ghz people are obsesing on clockspeeds not architecture of how something actually works...i think the closest leak is the vgleaks ,it makes a lot of sense ,but it might all be bull

and as for cpu @ 45nm powerpc can take up a tiny space as can ibm edram ,i think 2 pools of ram is a maybe like gamecube / wii

with compute shaders and edram etc i think the gpu is were its at for future consoles and very efficent cpus,powerpc 3xcore could be as little as 5 watts xenon of x360 was a pee poor design that shouldnt even have ran at 3.2ghz

Edited by silverismoney, 21 July 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#4 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

Welcome to the community!!! Oh and thank you very much for this topic, people have to understand this.
Posted Image

#5 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

Finally someone makes tech talk understandable to me. Normally it just sounds like blahblahblahblahblahblahblah.

#6 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:14 AM

Welcome, and thanks. Amazing post!
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#7 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:26 AM

it all comes down to fun games. yes i do want 3rd party titles to be there because i for one dont believe in buying more than one console per generation. im not concerned about the graphics the console will be able to output. for me personally if the Zelda HD demo graphics can be achieved 1080p 60 fps real time im good. the best games i have experienced this generation looked good(smash brother brawl, DKCR as examples) but the graphics were secondary to the gameplay, fun, and overall experience of playing it. yes i do want developers to take advantage of the power the wii u has to make amazing graphics but seriously its all about the gameplay experience.

#8 eugoreez

eugoreez

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:21 AM

finally tech talk that make sense.. haha
urhhh.. potatoes?

#9 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:45 AM

Finally someone makes tech talk understandable to me. Normally it just sounds like blahblahblahblahblahblahblah.

you mean

tflops blah blahblah ram speed I'm speculating it's blablahblahbolajb 5231342MHz. I don't care if it's a enficent system since the I like dram blahblahblah tlflops.

1.21GIGAWATTS!

The conclusion is that the wii u is a banana.

Edited by Hinkik, 22 July 2012 - 06:46 AM.

28gxdv8.png

#10 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

The conclusion is that the wii u is a banana.

yup
i hate how little actual news we have
but this is at least the most believable
:laugh:

#11 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Elder Scrolls, LoZ

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

Agreed. Nice job 00Stevo

#12 AwesomeAustin

AwesomeAustin

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo franchises and characters

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

The Wii U was stated by some developers to be far powerful than the 360 or PS3. I'm getting the Wii U anyways despite what ANYONE says about processing power. Just hope its not too expensive. :'D

The Wii U was stated by some developers to be far powerful than the 360 or PS3. I'm getting the Wii U anyways despite what ANYONE says about processing power. Just hope its not too expensive. :'D

#13 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:32 AM

I wish developers would show just how much more powerful in their games, sure Zombi U is showing off the gamepad nicely, but it's not a great example of 1080p, 60FPS, ultra-detailed graphics, alongside better A.I and physics. Not to say those are the most important thing, but the Wii U needs to prove nay-sayers. Right now Nintendo's silence, and saying "specs aren't important" really starts to show Nintendo as a guilty party of providing a 7th gen console in an 8h gen console, a bit like the Atari-Jaguar did with its 64-bit, next generation - today talk.

I have faith in Nintendo (for the last time if it turns out it can't play all the third party games I want it to play) that they'll provide not the most powerful, but one that is powerful enough to allow developers to easily port a game there without it being developed at another studio who makes an inferior product.

I need to see that it CAN produce next gen game visuals similar to the Samaritan demo, while not completely dying on me cause it can't handle power of that magnitude on a tv AND a gamepad (screw two gamepads). I just need a developer to announce a true 8th gen game and be blow away. Now I'm not expecting it to have the same poly-count or frame rate as an xbox 8, but if it can run graphics similar to CryEngine 3's near max settings and Unreal's Samaritan demo at 720p at 30fps - smoothly. That will be amazing.

Edited by Penguin101, 23 July 2012 - 01:36 AM.

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:32 AM

I wish developers would show just how much more powerful in their games, sure Zombi U is showing off the gamepad nicely, but it's not a great example of 1080p, 60FPS, ultra-detailed graphics, alongside better A.I and physics. Not to say those are the most important thing, but the Wii U needs to prove nay-sayers. Right now Nintendo's silence, and saying "specs aren't important" really starts to show Nintendo as a guilty party of providing a 7th gen console in an 8h gen console, a bit like the Atari-Jaguar did with its 64-bit, next generation - today talk.

I have faith in Nintendo (for the last time if it turns out it can't play all the third party games I want it to play) that they'll provide not the most powerful, but one that is powerful enough to allow developers to easily port a game there without it being developed at another studio who makes an inferior product.

I need to see that it CAN produce next gen game visuals similar to the Samaritan demo, while not completely dying on me cause it can't handle power of that magnitude on a tv AND a gamepad (screw two gamepads). I just need a developer to announce a true 8th gen game and be blow away. Now I'm not expecting it to have the same poly-count or frame rate as an xbox 8, but if it can run graphics similar to CryEngine 3's near max settings and Unreal's Samaritan demo at 720p at 30fps - smoothly. That will be amazing.

The things you are requesting take several years to create all the assets for.

Zombi 2 has had a few scant months to change from killer freaks to what you saw at e3.

and it is progressing quite rapidly. The build at comic con was quite the improvement.

Look at 360's launch games.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 Hamez

Hamez

Blooper

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • NNID:PrinceLuna
  • Fandom:
    007, Team Fortress 2, Zelda, Ponies

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

And also,the 360 and PS3 have a total of 512mb ram,split between system and gpu respectively.

If you want to get more technical with it, PS3 has 256MB of main system RAM, and 256MB of GPU memory. The 360 has 512MB, that can be allocated between the main system and the GPU however the developer wants it for their game.

Regardless, Wii U will still have AT LEAST 1GB of main system RAM, which will indeed demolish what the current gen has.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!