29 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

I know this is weird, but do you think Nintendo will use decent Thermal paste? I'm concerned because the PS3 and 360 both use cheap thermal paste and I'm preparing to open up my PS3 for the first time and replace the thermal paste. Previous Nintendo machines have never had an overheating issue in my experience. With the Wii U's small frame, what precautions do you think they've put in?

#2 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:11 AM

This is probably the...second or third to weirdest thread I've ever seen on this forum. But I haven't been around forever, so what do I know? :P

They're probably using parts that don't heat up very much, and are placing in good fans for the ones that do.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#3 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

It would be really strange if they didn't use any but I'm pretty sure it's a cheap one.

This is probably the...second or third to weirdest thread I've ever seen on this forum. But I haven't been around forever, so what do I know? :P

They're probably using parts that don't heat up very much, and are placing in good fans for the ones that do.

No offense but do you know what thermal paste is?

28gxdv8.png

#4 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

No offense but do you know what thermal paste is?

If I were to wager a guess, thermal paste is a paste suited for high temperatures to keep certain parts of the console from melting.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:27 AM

Well, if you look at the case, the whole dang thing is practically covered in vents. Nintendo has always made good use of heat sinks, so while I dont imagine them going out of their way to buy superior thermal paste, I dont see them releasing the product until it can adequately move heat out through all those vents.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 Varg

Varg

Spiny

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Fandom:
    FInal Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Zelda

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:38 AM

Pretty sure all this companies use cheap thermal paste :( Like you said though, i never really encountered an overheating problem with any Nintendo Console.

#7 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

If I were to wager a guess, thermal paste is a paste suited for high temperatures to keep certain parts of the console from melting.

It's a paste that increases the heat conductivity between two materials.

So what it does is conducting the heat from the processor to the processor fan.

28gxdv8.png

#8 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:07 AM

Maybe it's just that Nintendo use low wattage components? If the Wii U has overheating problems, I'm going to be disappointed. 45nm process isn't too shabby though. So I'm hoping for Nintendo's usual craftsmanship. Thinking of using Coollaboratory Liquid Pro Liquid Metal for my PS3 and PC. I've heard it's the best especially for the price. Should stop my PS3's fan whirring at max speed after 10 mins of playing a game or a Blu-Ray. :P

#9 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:53 AM

Nintendo consoles are usally built to last (unlike the Xbox 360 ;P) so I'm sure the Wii U will be OK with whatever it has in it. I haven't experienced overheating with Nintendo consoles in the past anyway.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#10 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

It's not important.
Once a fan is stuck into a console it's pretty much not going anywhere.

cheap. Never makes a difference imo anyway.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#11 Hamez

Hamez

Blooper

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • NNID:PrinceLuna
  • Fandom:
    007, Team Fortress 2, Zelda, Ponies

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

I think... it'll be ok.

It could potentially make a difference; I've had a laptop with really bad thermal paste, and it had some severe overheating issues. I had to go and buy some better paste in order for the computer to even be functional. It would be more problematic for a Nintendo console if it happens, as one does not simply open it up and mess with the components.

But I really don't think this is going to be an issue.
Posted Image

#12 bigfishcatcher

bigfishcatcher

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Let's put it this way ms Xbox 360 had a 47% failure rate and ps3 was close. Nintendo had about a 3% failure rate on the Wii. I think Nintendo makes much better hardware

#13 FreakAlchemist

FreakAlchemist

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Fandom:
    Link Samus MegaMan KidBuu Vegeta

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

The 360 and ps3 over heated faster because sony and microsoft used lead free solder for the gpu and cpu chips.Without lead in the solder for these chips they were prone to over heat more quickly.I'm guessing nintendo used solder that had lead in it which is why the failure rate was so much lower.I don't think (well i hope) that sony any microsoft will make that horrible mistake again.
Posted Image

3DS Friend code: 0602-6262-8935

just pm me if you want to friend me

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

The 360 and ps3 over heated faster because sony and microsoft used lead free solder for the gpu and cpu chips.Without lead in the solder for these chips they were prone to over heat more quickly.I'm guessing nintendo used solder that had lead in it which is why the failure rate was so much lower.I don't think (well i hope) that sony any microsoft will make that horrible mistake again.

Thats kind of a mix up of information.

Lead/tin has a lower melting point of 183 degrees celsius, whereas lead free solders have a melting point above 220 degrees, so lead tin solder would catastrophically fail before lead free solder, meaning its more prone to failure at lower temperatures.

So, yes, lead/tin soldered processors DO run cooler than lead free, but not because the lead has something to do with dissipating heat, but the processor would fail otherwise.

Lead free solder actually improves dramatically current carrying capabilities, and heat resiliancy.

While there IS a negative tradeoff, its not on the performance end, but the production end. The increased melting point means the convection ovens must be ran hotter, thus drawing more power and thus money, more stress is put on the flip chip during production, as well as other processor components that may have to be replaced to withstand the new higher temp production process.

Bit even lead free solder with its higher melting point will faill if said melting point is breached.

And crappy heat sinks and burnt up thermal paste are just some of the things the 360 had to get that job done.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:37 AM

Don't think this is a concern. Nintendo make robust hardware. Its quite possible the themal paste will be generic low cost paste that is used in most manufacturing of such devices. Nintendo will be costing the wii u quite low so don't expect a fancy fan and heatink using super expensive thermal paste. They will design a low cost robust console with as much performance as they can achieve for that low price. Clearly the small form factor is an issue. I'm still hoping for a 32nm fabrication process so a bit more performance can be achieved.

#16 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

Nintendo had always been picky on who they use to build there hardware, choosing people they trust. Which is why they had a problem keeping up with demand last time around. Hopefully, they still have that problem :)
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#17 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

Don't think this is a concern. Nintendo make robust hardware. Its quite possible the themal paste will be generic low cost paste that is used in most manufacturing of such devices. Nintendo will be costing the wii u quite low so don't expect a fancy fan and heatink using super expensive thermal paste. They will design a low cost robust console with as much performance as they can achieve for that low price. Clearly the small form factor is an issue. I'm still hoping for a 32nm fabrication process so a bit more performance can be achieved.

Nintendo tends to use pretty good heatsinks.... Their choice in fans are a little dinky though, But the heatsinks have been cartoonishly large, thick based and thick finned.

Something to consider about the wii u's form factor is that it has an external brick and no internal hard drive.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#18 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:56 AM

Its Foxconn building the wii u, its always Foxconn nowadays, the build the ps3, 360, ipad, iphone, 3DS, kindle and tons of other stuff for other companies. Last time I read they had 250,000 workers in China in one factory. They are super huge and make all the great high tech stuff we enjoy. A quick look at the wiki page shows 1.2 million people employed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn

There is no mystery where the wii u will be made.

#19 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:59 AM

I think... it'll be ok.

It could potentially make a difference; I've had a laptop with really bad thermal paste, and it had some severe overheating issues. I had to go and buy some better paste in order for the computer to even be functional. It would be more problematic for a Nintendo console if it happens, as one does not simply open it up and mess with the components.

But I really don't think this is going to be an issue.

Posted Image

It's not important.
Once a fan is stuck into a console it's pretty much not going anywhere.

cheap. Never makes a difference imo anyway.

The paste isn't for attaching.

28gxdv8.png

#20 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:09 AM

Posted Image

That made me smile and made my day so far. Thank you :laugh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic