#1 Matten

Matten

Red Koopa Troopa

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii this site.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

I only briefly owned the original Wii before selling it to a friend, let me get that out of the way first. I didn't like the fact that I had to aim a controller at the screen at all times to play my games, browse the options or even look at Netflix. The controller was shaky and never aimed properly. It was a huge hassle and made my entire Wii experience feel like a giant gimmick. Needless to say I felt like I could skip a generation of Nintendo and wait for the improvements of the next gen. After a long time waiting, we are almost at that stage of the game now with the imminent release of the Wii U. So here comes my main issue, I want to be able to play my games with the gamepad or a normal controller like the gamecube once had or any other console currently has (pro controller and classic controller I suppose they are called now).

So I come to you today to gather your opinions. Will the Wiimote and nunchuck (is that what it's called?) still be as crappy as they were back then? Is the wiimote plus a large improvement? Will I be able to play all of my games with the gamepad or a regular controller? Do I have to even own a wii mote and nunchuck?

I really don't want to have to aim something at a screen at 2 am in the morning after I just got done working a 9 hour shift. I want to lay in my bed and enjoy a relaxing game. I know a lot people who feel the same as me. I don't want to hold the stick-shaped wiimote in my hands to play a game, that is just absurd. Give a controller that is designed for the human hands, please, not a horizontal stick with two buttons.

TL;DR Will I like this console if I hate pointing my controller at the screen to use it? Could the Pro controller or Classic controller be a possible permanent fix to this issue? I am totally fine with the gamepad, btw. I actually like it a lot.

Edited by Matten, 03 August 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

If you point the wiimote at the ground, you can use the arrow keys to navigate menus usually.

You should have tried to calibrate your sensor bar in the options if it was shaky.
The wii u will support the wiimote and nunchuck.
Wiimote+ only added an extra sensor for detecting movement, the IR camera will still be the same in them.
There might be improvements to the ir sensoring due to HD, but i doubt it'd be a big deal enough as to solve whatever issues you're having.

The upad is the main controller, and a lot of games will likely support the gamepad pro, which is a wireless controller without a screen.
You should be able to relax with either of those in your hands.

Posted Image

If I was you, I'd wait and see. Try one out at a friends place or something first.

Edited by Nollog, 03 August 2012 - 10:13 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

Most games will use the gamepad but some games like Nintendo Land and Pikmin 3, you have to use the Wii Remote and Nunchuck.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#4 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

Most games will use the gamepad but some games like Nintendo Land and Pikmin 3, you have to use the Wii Remote and Nunchuck.

You can play Pikmin 3 with the GamePad.

You can also play Nintendo Land with the GamePad, but the multiplayer experiences require (a) Wiimote(s) and Nunchuk(s).

#5 Matten

Matten

Red Koopa Troopa

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii this site.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

Perhaps I had a crappy Wii or censor bar that was not calibrated correctly. I did buy it previously-owned after all. The problem may have also lied in the fact that I had a piece of crap tv at the time that was positioned high up on a dresser and I was playing from a much lower position. I don't know if these three or four issues caused my poor experience but I have a brand new 32" LCD TV at a reasonable height and I plan on buying the Wii U brand new and taking any steps necessary, including calibration to make it as precise and stable as possible. I'll also be using the wiimote plus instead of the original one I once had.

Do you think that may solve the issue? Although, I watched my roommate use his wiimote last week on Netflix and it was just as shaky and inaccurate as it was for me years ago. I know for a fact his isn't calibrated right now, but I'm unaware of how much of a difference it makes. It was disappointing to say the least, especially after I have been hyping the Wii U up for quite some time now, lol.

Any insight/information on this subject is greatly appreciated. Thank you to both of you for responding already. I didn't know you could calibrate it so that is some good news.

Edited by Matten, 03 August 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

Calibration definitely helps. I've had some real problems myself in the past, with my TV near a window.
The level of light around bother the wiimote and the sensor bar makes it more/less accurate, which causes the shaking.

It's a simple matter of going into the options, and setting it up until the lights blink slowly.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 Matten

Matten

Red Koopa Troopa

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii this site.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

I can't help but feel like this lol. It's definitely worth a watch.

http://youtu.be/VY88ybT13zQ

I think the Gamepad is awesome though so please don't flame me for my opinion or trying to seek information on a forum. That is why we are here, right? Discussion and what not :)

Edited by Matten, 03 August 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#8 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

firstly, i never had an issue with the wiimote in my life BUT i totally get why someone wouldnt want to use one to play games.

to answer your question: i hardly think you will ever need to own another wii mote again to be honest. if you get the wii u, your main controllers will gamepad and pro controller, some people like the wiimote for shooters but its never going to be compulsory for a game, just an option. you wont need to navigate any menus with wiimote again either, the gamepad is the new main controller :)
Posted Image

#9 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Most games will use the Gamepad, and even if it's not the primary controller will probably still be able to use it. So yes, you will most likely enjoy the Wii U.

#10 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

I can't help but feel like this lol. It's definitely worth a watch.

http://youtu.be/VY88ybT13zQ

I think the Gamepad is awesome though so please don't flame me for my opinion or trying to seek information on a forum. That is why we are here, right? Discussion and what not :)

lol, that was pretty funny.

I don't think Nintendo are to blame for the casual market, both types of markets have co-existed since FIFA was first made into a video game.
All Nintendo did was give that market some stuff as well as the current gamers.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#11 Matten

Matten

Red Koopa Troopa

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii this site.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

This thread has been very encouraging. I think I may even be able to get used to the wiimote in the future if I ease myself into it slowly. Man, I've had a hell of a night and this thread is just the icing on the cake. I'm gonna have to give you guys my Wii friend's name or Mii name or whatever the friends list thing is for Wii U when it comes out :)

#12 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

the wiiu will support the pro controller which is just a normal controller which you will probably prefer, but overall i dont think you'll need it s many people experiencing the wii u have said the pro controller is almost no different except for the missing screen. the gamepad will probably be fine for you so i wouldnt even bother to get the pro controller or wii mote and nunchuck as they probably wont be much different anyway. also as far as i know wii mote and nunchuck wont barely be supporting outside of nintendo. sadly

Signature_Fox.png

#13 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:56 AM

for the most part its up to the developers. im hoping nintendo are pushing developers to develop for the gamepad pro. i felt like that was one of the reason Wii (along with not being powerful enough to get 3rd party support) failed with the "core" gamers. there were many games i played on the Wii that did feel gimicky and would have been better on the classic controller. all in all "IMO" nintendo has given developers all they nedd from a control standpoint to make any type of game better. i think most developers feel a need to try and make this bi game defining feature do to the uniqueness of nintendo controllers.

#14 Matten

Matten

Red Koopa Troopa

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii this site.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

I already play the FPS, RTS, RPG, and Simulation games on PC. I do the majority of my gaming on PC but I want to play the Nintendo Wii's first party games, exclusives and other fun things on the Wii U that I could share with friends and family and stuff. I'll use the gamepad and pro controller :) I'll get the wiimote plus and nunchuck just incase...but I'll try to avoid using them as much as possible.

Edited by Matten, 04 August 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#15 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

OH HI, YOU JUST SAID WHAT MIGHT BE MY WORSE FEAR TOO
im ok with wii remotes being used, but the problem with em last time was that there was never an actual calibration, and the movement tracking was slow
what i freaking hope for is some sort of improvement (most likely the software and sensor bar) that could make it so that you could calibrate and aim directly at whatever you find on the screen
if the wiimote/components can be patched to have the same precision as firing a bullet at the t.v. i would buy it and hug it and ___________(nvm)__________
:laugh:

#16 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:18 AM

I've never found aiming on the Wii easy unless you dig your elbow into a pillow or something so that you can relax your arm while you play.

I doubt I could've obtained all the challenges in Modern Warfare Reflex otherwise.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#17 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:11 AM

The onscreen keyboards you have to point at on the Wii are just EVIL which is why I am happy about the Wii U's touch screen keyboard.

#18 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:16 AM

Ah yes. I remember those... no longer being a pain when I plugged in a spare USB keyboard I had.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: controller, wii u, gamepad, classic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!