Photo

Will the wii u's real rival be the new ouya console?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

The ouya is a android based console funded by individual investers and promises the same games many of us are playing on our our phones, and a good few developers have signed up so the console should get some big titles. It may not be as powerful as wii u but it will only cost £99. So im kinda thinking a big chunk of the casual gamers mite rather spend there money on ouya. If its android powered it will never run out of games, so its not even a gamble! Im not slagging off nintendo im just curious if people think the same

#2 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

I doubt it. I don't think it will be that big to be a rival of the big three.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#3 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

I heard the Ouya is about as powerful as an iPad, so I wouldn't expect it to but up much competition for the Wii U. Plus it is really meant to be a platform for indie developers to be able to publish on.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#4 Varg

Varg

Spiny

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Fandom:
    FInal Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Zelda

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

Ouya will have its own niche share of the market. Im sure many people will end up buying one due to the cheap price. I myself, will be picking one up after the initial release and impressions. Just knowing i can put all of my emulators and android games i have onto one tiny system and play with controllers on my big screen is enough to jusify the purchase. It will sit right next to my WIi U. But other then that... noones going to being gaming soley off of a ouya.

Edited by Varg, 09 August 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#5 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

Ouya is an awesome looking system, but because of it's low price and goal, I feel like it'll be an extra console that you get along with a main 3 console.

#6 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

I don't think Ouya is a real competitor at all... It's for much smaller, low budget games which is the reason for it being based off Android tech. I can't see most of the big companies doing much more than porting some older games to it, like Square Enix which recently announced an Ouya FF3 port I think. But I can see a lot of indie devs taking interest, if anything it could draw attention away from XBL Arcade.

Posted Image

#7 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

No match.
No sig.

#8 Zebra

Zebra

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Cave Story

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

I can't see Ouya lasting that long.

#9 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

Ouya is basically stupid at the concept level.

Let's take games that were meant for limited, lower power, niche devices and make a dedicated, underpowered console out of it ... Stupid as all get out.

You play those games because your iPhone or Android phone can handle it.

When you want a real game, you fire up a real console with real horsepower like Wii U.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 09 August 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#10 Press

Press

Thwomp

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Smash, FF, KH, Sonic

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

No. The reviewers are just spewing that nonsense for the sake of controversy. It's all filibuster in the end.

Ouya caters to indie developers that might not have something up to par with powerhouse games. Nintendo is attempting to bring hardcore players to the Wii U. They are doing two completely different things.

In the end, Ouya is just casual.

#11 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

I think Ouya is going to find a home among a much different demographic that "Gamers"
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#12 Jakester897

Jakester897

Spiny

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, puzzle games, Pikmin

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

Nope.

In the Kickstarter for Ouya, it is mentioned multiple times that the console is open to hacking.
You might think, "Well, it's nice that I don't have to void my warranty to customize my device to my exact liking. How convenient."

You might be missing the point.

This thing will be really easy to pirate on. Sure, the system might get some launch titles, but when developers realize that their games are being played but not sold, they won't return to the system. Then it's just a box that plays Android games on your TV.

i really like the concept, but it's not going to succeed.
Posted Image
What we do is, if we ever need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
We put the volume up to eleven. One louder.

#13 thehappening

thehappening

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:45 PM

NO

#14 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

I believe it has the possibility to stir things up, but as with the Wii U, it is all about the GAMES.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#15 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

we will see if eveyone's predictions are correct when it release's

personally i think it will bee pretty successful as it already has a pretty loyal backing, it wont rival the wii u but it will defiantly offer some competition.

#16 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

The only way it can match the wii u for games technically is using the onlive service which is expensive and requires a really good broadband connection. The fact the main processing for the game is done remotely means you have to rent that processing time to play the game. So you end up with a console that can run simple games directly or more advanced games remotely. It will have a tempting low price but if you were playing something like Skyrim through onlive for 100s of hours then you probably could buy the console 2x over again on the money that will cost. I buy Nintendo consoles because its the only way to play Nintendo games, I already have other consoles. Ouya won't help me play Nintendo games and its exclusive games are going to be around original xbox in cpu terms with enhanced graphics. Its going to be sub Vita performance and I'm struggling to see the point of it, if even a portable console outguns it.

#17 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:11 AM

The only thing competing with Ouya is the Kool-Aid Man. Oh YEAH!

#18 Varg

Varg

Spiny

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Fandom:
    FInal Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Zelda

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:23 AM

The only thing competing with Ouya is the Kool-Aid Man. Oh YEAH!

Posted Image

#19 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:47 AM

Posted Image

Yes

#20 coolsarahkry

coolsarahkry

Blooper

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Avatar:TLA, Glee

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

I don't even care about the iphone games, so why would I want a cheap little system to play them? I'd rather put that 100$ to my wii u!
Posted Imageby cerberuz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!