#1 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:24 AM

I'm fed up with reading comment after comment on THIS forum about Wii U being slightly better than ps360!! it's so frustrating, it just isn't true and no one wants to believe the truth even though it's positive!! And what's more, is that people keep saying that if the xbox720 and ps4 are powerhouses then the Wii U will end up like the Wii, this is impossible!!

watch this video, it explains why this is impossible. the point about Wii U's up to date hardware is the most important.

the only way that xbox720 and ps4 will create a Wii situation for Wii U is if they both release in 2016/17.

(skip to 1:12)

if you don't want to watch, i'll sum it up, the wii used tech that was 7-8 years older than tech in the ps360, but the Wii U is using 2010 tech or even more modern. this means the difference between the next gen consoles and the Wii U's tech couldn't possibly be close to 7 years, it's impossible

spread this around so people who miss this topic will know
Posted Image

#2 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:32 AM

It really depends on your definition of only slightly more powerful.

The cold hard truth ofbthe matter is, with the size of the case, knowledge from confirmed respected devs, and hands on with official devkits....

The wii U IS only going to be a little more powerful than 360/ps3....

The ballpark seems to be around 2-3x.

Compare that to the 40-50x jump between ps2-ps3.

Of course, the important thing to realize is.... 720 and ps4 are looking to be doing the same thing.

Confirmed Durango alpha kits put the system at only 5-6x more powerful than the 360.

Again, I bring up the 40-50x jump between xbox/ps2 and 360/ps3.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#3 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:51 AM

Sigh..., this will never end.

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:24 AM

Sigh..., this will never end.

Its pretty much already over.

Verified devkits of all 3 systems have been leaked... And they are all in the same ballpark of just a little bit more powerful than last gen.

The only thing that's left is to see how the internet gamer handles this realization.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 blu gamepad

blu gamepad

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:50 AM

Its pretty much already over.

Verified devkits of all 3 systems have been leaked... And they are all in the same ballpark of just a little bit more powerful than last gen.

The only thing that's left is to see how the internet gamer handles this realization.

Assuming this news is legit, we are looking at the 6th Gen all over again in terms of comparative specs from one system to another. I figured as much.

#6 Mensrea

Mensrea

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid,Zelda ,Pikmin ,Resistance

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

Have you guys seen pikmin 3? It's good enough for me.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

#7 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

Compare that to the 40-50x jump between ps2-ps3.

Again, I bring up the 40-50x jump between xbox/ps2 and 360/ps3.

40-50x??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Presents your facts. That sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Posted Image

#8 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

What everyone forgets is that the Wii U's gamepad is gonna drain a lot of computing power.

The Wii U is maybe 1.5-3x stronger than XBOX 360 and PS3. But because of the gamepad (talking games that use it for some type of graphics and innovation not just a map) is gonna look just slightely better than PS360.

Guys just wait until the devs make use of the new features of the Wii U's 2010-2011 GPU. That my friends plus optimizaiton is gonna be amazing.

We are talking Zelda games that look like this:

Posted Image

Edited by Hinkik, 13 August 2012 - 07:56 AM.

28gxdv8.png

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

What everyone forgets is that the Wii U's gamepad is gonna drain a lot of computing power.

The Wii U is maybe 1.5-3x stronger than XBOX 360 and PS3. But because of the gamepad (talking games that use it for some type of graphics and innovation not just a map) is gonna look just slightely better than PS360.

Guys just wait until the devs make use of the new features of the Wii U's 2010-2011 GPU. That my friends plus optimizaiton is gonna be amazing.

Gamepad doesn't seem to have quite the devastating impact most people were afraid of in recent builds. Worst case scenario is rendering the entire screen over again from a different angle... Its almost like the system was designed with this feature in mind.

Seems like a drop in framerate (game pad side only) and minor effects like aa being cut seem to cover the overhead pretty well. Nintendoland does it, a lot of people tend to dismiss Nintendo land because it pissed them off at e3, or because of its deceptively simple art style. But its no slouch. Particularly the hub world, its large, full of npc miis, full of crazy complex geometry, Just tons of zany contraptions and colors, and incredibly slick real time lighting and shadowing... EVERYTHING is accounted for, all moving lights and shadows, Global illumination, and real time reflections out the wazoo.... Its insanity to watch all the crap that's going on.

That being said... 2-3x IS only slightly better than 360/ps3. So is 5-6x better. Being 2-3x more powerful doesnt equate to 2-3x better visuals.

You need a good 40-50x jump in general performance to match the jumps we've seen in most generations. With the most powerful systems of next gen looking at 5-6x general performance increases.... We aren't looking at a typical next gen jump.

Edited by 3Dude, 13 August 2012 - 08:22 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:22 AM

Have you guys seen pikmin 3? It's good enough for me.

i did lol its amazing!

We are talking Zelda games that look like this:

Posted Image

the processor they are using is made for streaming on 2 devices, if anything durango will have less power because of kinect 2 running with the console.

Edited by hardcoreUfan, 13 August 2012 - 08:23 AM.

Signature_Fox.png

#11 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

I'm not worried. I know the Wii U is next gen, when everyone else figures it out i don't care.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#12 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

I'm not worried. I know the Wii U is next gen, when everyone else figures it out i don't care.

Its impossible for it to be anything BUT next gen.

Its the first system released after the seventh generation of game consoles.

Its the first system of the eigth generation.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#13 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

Gamepad doesn't seem to have quite the devastating impact most people were afraid of in recent builds. Worst case scenario is rendering the entire screen over again from a different angle... Its almost like the system was designed with this feature in mind.

Seems like a drop in framerate (game pad side only) and minor effects like aa being cut seem to cover the overhead pretty well. Nintendoland does it, a lot of people tend to dismiss Nintendo land because it pissed them off at e3, or because of its deceptively simple art style. But its no slouch. Particularly the hub world, its large, full of npc miis, full of crazy complex geometry, Just tons of zany contraptions and colors, and incredibly slick real time lighting and shadowing... EVERYTHING is accounted for, all moving lights and shadows, Global illumination, and real time reflections out the wazoo.... Its insanity to watch all the crap that's going on.

That being said... 2-3x IS only slightly better than 360/ps3. So is 5-6x better. Being 2-3x more powerful doesnt equate to 2-3x better visuals.

You need a good 40-50x jump in general performance to match the jumps we've seen in most generations. With the most powerful systems of next gen looking at 5-6x general performance increases.... We aren't looking at a typical next gen jump.

40-50 times stronger... lol whut. Maybe in some department but I don't think the PS3 can run Gran turismo 4 in 24000p

28gxdv8.png

#14 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Elder Scrolls, LoZ

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

... can we... not care about what people think about this? is that an option?

I mean this argument is so silly on both sides.

#15 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

40-50 times stronger... lol whut. Maybe in some department but I don't think the PS3 can run Gran turismo 4 in 24000p

Man marketing did a great job brainwashing people about resolution bbeing the be all end all of graphics when it should be the LAST thing considered.

Despite the obvious sarcasm your point is irrelevant.

The only reason Ps3 can't run gt4 in 24000p is because its frame buffer is only large enough to hold a 1080p image. That has nothing to do with system power.

When people talk about increases in GENERAL PERFORMANCE they mean GENERAL PERFORMANCE and not SPECIFIC PERFORMANCE OF A SINGLE AREA.

General performance would be things like floating operations performance per second, ram capacity, ram bandwidth, integer performance, instructions per cycle, cycles per second.

These affect things like polygon throughput, simultaneous number of ai scriptings and complexities, simultaneous applied physics and complexity of physics number of texture layers, resolution of textures, number and resolution of simultaneous real time shadows, number of simultaneous real time lights.... AND pixel fill rate.

The 360 abd ps3 has a 40-50x superior ability to crunch the instructions required to do these things over the ps2 xbox and cube.

Things that actually matter instead of the exact same crap at an increased image quality.

It doesn't matter how much you increase the resolution to an n64 game. It's still an n64 game, and it still looks like crap compared to uncharted at 480p.

Edited by 3Dude, 13 August 2012 - 09:50 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#16 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

Ok, as long as I get Mario, Zelda, and pikmin i don't give a * how powerful the counsole is. However it would be nice to only buy one system for all games. Althought endless TES comes out on the wii u I will probably buy another console for it

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#17 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

Man marketing did a great job brainwashing people about resolution bbeing the be all end all of graphics when it should be the LAST thing considered.

Despite the obvious sarcasm your point is irrelevant.

The only reason Ps3 can't run gt4 in 24000p is because its frame buffer is only large enough to hold a 1080p image. That has nothing to do with system power.

When people talk about increases in GENERAL PERFORMANCE they mean GENERAL PERFORMANCE and not SPECIFIC PERFORMANCE OF A SINGLE AREA.

General performance would be things like floating operations performance per second, ram capacity, ram bandwidth, integer performance, instructions per cycle, cycles per second.

These affect things like polygon throughput, simultaneous number of ai scriptings and complexities, simultaneous applied physics and complexity of physics number of texture layers, resolution of textures, number and resolution of simultaneous real time shadows, number of simultaneous real time lights.... AND pixel fill rate.

The 360 abd ps3 has a 40-50x superior ability to crunch the instructions required to do these things over the ps2 xbox and cube.

Things that actually matter instead of the exact same crap at an increased image quality.

It doesn't matter how much you increase the resolution to an n64 game. It's still an n64 game, and it still looks like crap compared to uncharted at 480p.

I want a source of the 40-50x stronger thing.

And of course I'm not an idiot, resolution isn't everything. I just used resolution as an example and excluding the framebuffer limit. I meant that 40-50x is just a very high value.

Edited by Hinkik, 13 August 2012 - 10:04 AM.

28gxdv8.png

#18 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

I like chocolate mill and I think this post is redundant.

#19 Mensrea

Mensrea

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid,Zelda ,Pikmin ,Resistance

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

Power isn't everything. By the way a bit of interesting convo I had with some friends of mine who are avid xbox users who would trash the wii.

I told them the basics about it, and then I offered them a scenario. 6 player local COD. (They're big cod fans) 2 people on gamepads, 4 people with pro controllers on the television. That is how they should market the wii u. They were sold, they both want it now. I even told them that while it was far more powerful than the xbox, it probably would be outclassed by the ps4 and xbox 720 in terms of graphics, but they didn't care. They saw the vision of the wii u. I think that this console can really thrive with the right application.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

#20 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

The Wii U has a CPU that wipes the floor with Cell and Xenon. It is a very, very nice processor.

The GPU does as well. People have been lowballing this aspect of the system for a while. It is quite the performer.

The RAM allows both to work with a lot more resources and will allow for greater variation in textures, animations, larger assets, higher texture res, etc. this will be the first time a videogame system can actually truly benefit from the greater storage capacity of Blu-ray derived media as the RAM allows for larger chunks of that media to be in play.

The Wii U is quite a bit more powerful than the 360 and PS3.

Old dev kits from last year featured a quad core Power chip clocked at 3 ghz.

Today, the chip has been upgraded (not clocked higher).

The GPU used to be from 2010. It now has the foundation of a card released in early 2011 that has been enhanced and tailored to the console.

I wouldn't rule out a 10x performance jump from current systems when the overall hardware is factored in (in this case, the performance of the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts). And it will be noticeable. Not like the 360 from the PS2, but similar to the GCN from the N64. There will be some small similarities - especially at first - then there will be major differentiators. We won't see this until about a year after launch however due to political games and development time with final kit.

At launch, the Wii U will look slightly better than 360 and PS3. A year later, it will look far better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!