#1 Dh00mGuard

Dh00mGuard

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Pokemon

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

What changes will nintendo introduce for the Wii2 controllers?

Will Wii controllers work?

Will the gamecube ports be removed?

Will the classic controller be back? In what form?

#2 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

Best to keep the discussion centered around one question. ;) But this works, too.

What the Wii 2's native controller will be is anyone's guess at this point. At the very least, it'll be identical to a Wii Remote Plus in function. But Nintendo has always done something new and innovative with every single controller they ever designed, so it's highly unlikely it'll be just that.

They actually have a pattern of console "pairs," which might be a good starting point. The SNES controller was a jacked-up NES pad. The GameCube controller's unique layout was building on the infamous N64 trident. So, we can expect the Wii 2 controller to be a Wii Remote with something new and awesome added to it - I'm thinking an in-strap Vitality Sensor might be pretty interesting.

That is, of course, assuming they don't skip right ahead to pure mind control. :lol:

Wii controllers will probably still work, but only for Wii games and - if my above theory is correct - Wii 2 games that don't need the advanced functionality (think Wii Remote Plus X). The GameCube ports will probably end up being removed, but compatibility with the controllers will probably be retained, considering how many people love using them. If that happens, the Wii 2 will probably remain backwards compatible with GameCube games.

Classic Controller? IDK...it'll probably still be there just as it always was, plugging into the bottom of the Wii (2) Remote (Plus/X).

#3 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, Final Fantasy, Umeniko, DeathNote

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:26 AM

I guess it will depend, but im not sure if it will be backwards compatible with Gamecube games because the Wii 2 will have to backwards compatible with Wii games and that would be acceptable.

I think motion sensor gaming is the way forward now and we will have some sort of Wii controller but there will be something extra special. I think even though it will still be an option in play, standard button mashing controlled gaming is gone.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP
Kirby Sig made by Anisaxis, thanks dude :)

#4 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:44 AM

The thing about backwards compatibility with the Wii is that it pretty much automatically includes compatibility with the GameCube. This is because the Wii and GameCube are architecturally identical - the Wii is just a bit more powerful, that's all. They'll probably retain the compatibility simply because it's also an easy source of profit - but blah, I'm going beyond the scope of this topic. We were on controllers, amirite?

A Wii Remote with something extra special, yes. I think that might be where we're headed. Mind control will probably wait until the ninth generation of home consoles (e.g.: the Wii 3), since the technology is neither mature nor affordable yet. It should be within the next 10-15 years, though; I'll start a different topic with proof, if you're interested.

So, what do you think that something "extra special" would be, then?

#5 Revolution

Revolution

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:29 AM

I hope they'll make a regular controller aswell. Like Playstation, it has a regular controller and a Motion Controller. I want one because everyone know the Classic Controller sucked badley, and the Pro Classic Controller isn't that much better, and the GameCube controller, well, it's old, give us something new. The WiiMote doesn't feel good in your hands after an hour, because its design is too 'corner-y'. The sleeve makes it better, but after some time my sleeve began to 'melt' and left sticky plastic on my remote.

#6 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:03 AM

The two-controller strategy is working quite well with the Wii, so I don't see why Nintendo would want to ditch it anytime soon. The GCN controller is a bit old, yes; but it's a great design that has stood the test of time (no rhyme intended). Maybe a little revision to it is in order, but a lot of people absolutely love it just the way it is (myself included). A Classic Controller X, maybe, if they insist on finally leaving old technology behind.

Um...you can clean the sticky residue off a Wii Remote with a single paper towel. It's not that big an issue, considering how rarely you take the jacket off. And I find it reasonably comfortable to hold, if a bit sparse on buttons (never try to play Smash with it!), and a little on the small side overall.

#7 Revolution

Revolution

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:11 AM

I didn't try yet without water. With a dry piece of paper it won't go off. But the problem is that the sleeve itself sticks aswell. And yes, playing sideways with the sleeve on is annoying as hell. But no problem for me, I play Smash with the GC controller.

Edit:
And with the GC controller being old I mean no new technology, like the tilting sensors in the DualShock3 (god, I love that controller).

#8 Gamer

Gamer

Blooper

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Mario, Wii, DS

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:20 AM

This one is a real mind boggler. Nintendo always makes strange controllers. The Wii, and SNES to name a couple.

I have no clue. Maybe a remixed Wii controller?

#9 SonofMrPeanut

SonofMrPeanut

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

Noting how it's a slightly upgraded Gamecube, it's kind of funny to think that the Wii remote was initially designed as an accessory for the GCN.

As for crazy controllers, check out a few of these prototypes:

Attached Thumbnails

• wiiproto.jpg

"Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins." - Ricardo Montalban, Freakazoid!

Posted Image

#10 Gamer

Gamer

Blooper

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Mario, Wii, DS

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

As for crazy controllers, check out a few of these prototypes: http://pressthebutto... ... iproto.jpg

Those are... COOL! :roll:

I like the star one. It's going to be a crazy system if that was the controller :lol:

#11 Mark

Mark

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

I'm not quite sure about what the controllers will be like. But I do expect a gimmick, I'm hoping Nintendo will go back to their hardcore roots. Maybe a controller as good as the DualShock3 (It's a pretty awesome controller).
Posted Image

#12 Shnuk

Shnuk

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Gamecube, 3DS, Wii and Mario,

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

Noting how it's a slightly upgraded Gamecube, it's kind of funny to think that the Wii remote was initially designed as an accessory for the GCN.

As for crazy controllers, check out a few of these prototypes:
[attachment=0]wiiproto.jpg[/attachment]

I would have absolutlely no idea what to do with that star one. ;) i see three little buttons plus the star. But, nintendo could proble make it kickass.

Hey, I'm Jordan. I don't feel like I have a witty comment that won't sound really forced so I'm just going to have this sort of lame looking.
This is as exciting as it's goin to get:
My Name is Jordan and I come from Canada.

#13 CaptainFalco311

CaptainFalco311

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound/Mother, Metroid, Zelda

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

I don't care what the controller is, just give me back my VMU and I'll be fine.

#14 dannyboy

dannyboy

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Fandom:
    all nintendo characters

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:05 PM

I'm not quite sure about what the controllers will be like. But I do expect a gimmick, I'm hoping Nintendo will go back to their hardcore roots. Maybe a controller as good as the DualShock3 (It's a pretty awesome controller).

well the way consoles are going there probably won't be many more controllers cause gaming is going controller less with the likes of kinect unless Nintendo go some other way that doesn't copy that and Nintendo haven't been disappointing us on the original ideas front
http://amazing-nintendo.blogspot.com/
my new blog all about Nintendo so go and have a look though its not just as good as here but go for a look and sign up to the forum if you want

#15 Bartman2

Bartman2

The Ultimate Nerd

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, LoZ, The Simpsons

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

is this what could they could look like? there is a logo. i'm definitely hoping this, because it looks good.

EDIT: it's official. i found another picture of this. it looks awesome, and real.

Attached Thumbnails

• Wii-2-Remote-Assures-A-Lot-More-Fun2.jpg
  • Wii-2-Remote-Assures-A-Lot-More-Fun1.jpg

Posted Image
Like a Boss

#16 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

Oh God, PLEASE BE REAL!

I wouldn't even mid the name... As long as those... WERE REAL!
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#17 Bartman2

Bartman2

The Ultimate Nerd

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, LoZ, The Simpsons

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

YESSSSSS, please......
Posted Image
Like a Boss

#18 BOB

BOB

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Fandom:
    stuff

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:31 PM

Hav you ever wondered if those where Photoshop generated? you guys are being kind of crazy over something that might not exist.

#19 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

No, we're going crazy BECAUSE they might not exist. We really REALLY REALLY want them to exist.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#20 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

Hate to break it to you, guys, but they're only a fan concept. Fear not, however; I think Nintendo will give us something better than a Wii Remote redesign. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!