• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Ramon3MR

Ramon3MR

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

Wondering if you guys had thoughts on how Nintendo can attract (again) the casual gamer with the Wii U?

Here's a column on that same topic: http://gotgame.com/2...-casual-gamers/

#2 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

No they will be fine what there challenge is attracting hardcore gamers.

#3 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

Casual gamers will have no interest in this thing. Why would they? They don't care about HD, or technical specs. All they want is to play Wii Sports, and they can do that one the Wii that they already have. I think it will be interesting to see how, and if they can pull of what they intend to do.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#4 Stephen

Stephen

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Fandom:
    mario, mariokart, minecraft

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:58 AM

This is the reason they called it WiiU, so that people who liked the wii will buy this if they buy another console. However for People who don't see the need to Buy a WiiU It wll be difficult for them to attract them. It will be to see what Nintendo does. On the bright side, There not likely to buy a ps3 or Xbox instead of a wii (!!!!opinion!!!!)

Posted Image

PM me if you want to add me on 3ds

#5 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Time will tell. Why would they have issues gaining casual gamers? They all bought the Wii. They will buy this to. It's new and innovative like the Wii before it.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#6 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

I rather Nintendo focus on getting the core gamer than casual.

#7 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

they just need to name it the wii u.... o wait they already did that, well then here comes the casuals.

Now lets focus on the real problem how will they attract the core.

#8 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

Wondering if you guys had thoughts on how Nintendo can attract (again) the casual gamer with the Wii U?

Here's a column on that same topic: http://gotgame.com/2...-casual-gamers/

They have PIKMIN, 3, AT LAUNCH (or Window). trust me, they'll do fine, lol
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#9 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

yah they will. touchscreens usually equal accessability in a normal consumer's eyes

Signature_Fox.png

#10 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

I like to think that Ramon has a valid point.

From one perspective, casuals may not feel as inclined to get a Wii U because they are content with the Wii. They may also look back at the Wii and think "Well, I bought this for one or two games, but the effect is gone."

There may be casual games in the lineup, but nothing I see a casual thinking to themselves "I must buy it". And since this is casuals we are talking about, they practically need a must buy game in order to buy the console. I don't think they buy a console in advance for a game later down the line.

Don't forget. A lot of casuals thought this is just a touchscreen for the Wii, so don't go thinking that they've got that audience bought. Nintendo still has work to do.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#11 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

They have PIKMIN, 3, AT LAUNCH (or Window). trust me, they'll do fine, lol

Most casual gamers don't even know what Pikmin is.

#12 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

Most casual gamers don't even know what Pikmin is.

Correct don't confuse Casual Gamers with Nintendo gamers , Casual Gamers don't care about Nintendo titles they like games like wii sports and Zumba Fitness . This is also the reason why I don't think the Wiiu will sell as much to Casuals as some people think so since they are not going to think wiiu = motion controls instead this time it is wiiu= Tablet which they already have and to them 99cent game is just as equal as a 50 dollar game so their is no reason for them to buy it .......Which I am perfectly Ok with the Casual Market is a fickle bunch and I would Prefer Nintendo go more towards the Nintendo gamer and the Regular Gamer.

#13 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

All I want Nintendo to do is put out innovative games and get third party support. Quality over quantity, please. We don't need shovelware like the Wii was plagued with. So, try to attract who you want. Good games is all that matters.

#14 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

Either I'm the smartest casual ever, or you guise have no idea what a casual gamer is. It's hard to tell nowadays. Even then I'm still going to buy either a Nextbox or a PS4 to go with my WiiU. Probably a Nextbox.

Not to mention once they stop producing casual games on the Wii, the average casual consumer is going to have to upgrade to a WiiU at one point or another.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#15 JD2995

JD2995

Blooper

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc.

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

I hope that they want to attract more the real gamers than the casual gamers.
Posted Image
Sorry for my bad english

#16 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

I'm probably in the minority that think that Nintendo should continue to attract casual gamers. Yes, it's important to earn back trust of core gamers but it's also important to earn/keep as large audience as possible. Sony and Microsoft are in more than just the Video Game market. Out of the big three, I've always felt Nintendo would be the first to die out because this.

That aside, I think marketing the controller and "together" interactive games would do them good. Things like the Wii U Sports or a dance-karaoke title. We seem to be in a tablet trend at the moment, so the interactive, tablet like qualities would be a good marketing point for them. Not to mention (as someone else said) the decline of Wii games will help, and the idea that all Wii accessories and such will work for the Wii U is a plus. Has Nintendo ever had issue attracting casual gamers though?

Edited by Noonabites, 03 September 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#17 thehappening

thehappening

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

here we go again with the casual falacy that never was

#18 Lord N

Lord N

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, Zero Escape

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

No they will be fine what there challenge is attracting hardcore gamers.

I agree with you. Nintendo has never had a problem attracting the casual gamers. On the contrary, the core gamers market has been suffering due to lack of 3rd party support. Sure the 3DS is booming with excellent 3rd party support now, but this wasn't always the case with the Wii. The Wii U, having the capabilities that it has, I think has a better chance at grasping the core gamers market and succeeding where it's predecessor failed. It will be interesting how this all plays out but lets look at what we know about the Wii U and its launch titles so far:

Nintendo Land - A very casual gamer friendly variety of games. Nothing that can be taken too seriously.
New Super Mario Bros. U - Another casual gamer staple. Mario is a timeless plumber.
Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition - Bad ass game just got better. This is a great title to attract core gamers.
Ninja Gaiden 3 - Another great slice and dice ninja speedy game made for mature audiences.

There are ofcourse many more titles but this is just a brief example of how launch date software can affect the first impressions of a console. This can usually determine who will be attracted to the new console. The Wii U ofcourse carries it's own great specs that also simply make life easier for the average person. I personally feel this is the big break Nintendo needs to get back their core gamers.
Free the pokemon!

"I cannot see the future yet... The world is still to be determined..."

#19 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Correct don't confuse Casual Gamers with Nintendo gamers , Casual Gamers don't care about Nintendo titles they like games like wii sports and Zumba Fitness . This is also the reason why I don't think the Wiiu will sell as much to Casuals as some people think so since they are not going to think wiiu = motion controls instead this time it is wiiu= Tablet which they already have and to them 99cent game is just as equal as a 50 dollar game so their is no reason for them to buy it .......Which I am perfectly Ok with the Casual Market is a fickle bunch and I would Prefer Nintendo go more towards the Nintendo gamer and the Regular Gamer.

He's obviously not confusing Casual with a Nintendo gamer. He is thinking A non mature gamer. Like if you play Super Mario, Pikmin, and Kirby you are a casual gamer. If you play Metroid, Gears of War, Halo, etc you are a hardcore gamer. That's what he may be thinking, it has nothing to do with Nintendo.

#20 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

Why must we define gamers?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!