• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:59 AM

Sure believe what you want, the director has said a $500 console with current hardware running games like Crysis 3 can be on a powerfull pc is simply not possible. Yes CryEngine 3 will run on wiiU, but that doesn't mean you can run it all maxed out. Just the gpu you need to max out crysis 3 on pc will cost you over twice the total cost of a wiiU.

Oh ok. So you're adding your own thoughts to flesh things out. Thanks for the update.

No one is saying a maxed out crysis.

But cryengine on a pc level.

#42 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

Oh ok. So you're adding your own thoughts to flesh things out. Thanks for the update.

No one is saying a maxed out crysis.

But cryengine on a pc level.

Well then the statement is vacuous as pc level can literally scale from less then 1 fps at the custom resolution of 1x1, to it maxed out at whatever fps and resolution your hardware can handle. The director is referring to the performance you get when it is maxed out (people with high end hardware), hence my point. When people refer to pc level of fidelity they are referring to the maximum it can output, not the minimum or something else as the maximum as that is what the hardware is known to be capable of.

Edited by PedanticGamer, 03 March 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#43 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

Well then the statement is vacuous as pc level can literally scale from less then 1 fps at the custom resolution of 1x1, to it maxed out at whatever fps and resolution your hardware can handle. The director is referring to the performance you get when it is maxed out (people with high end hardware), hence my point. When people refer to pc level of fidelity they are referring to the maximum it can output, not the minimum or something else as the maximum as that is what the hardware is known to be capable of.

When we are talking a great looking pc game, using 1080 p resolution, not 4k, not whatever retina display is out, etc. but the same textures the OC is using, the same geometry, etc, at 1080p resolution.
Maybe in your own mind, OC quality refers to the maximum a given rig can spit out. But in the real world that's bologne because the macimum pc capabilities change every few months. Besides, I had already qualified what was meant.
It's cut and dry. You can pretend to not understand by throwing out resolutions not supported by wii u or ps4 all you want. But the bottom line is the wii u won't have a problem running crysis at pc/1080p/quality, using the same assets as pc, versus older gen systems requiring compressed/ less textures, less effects, etc. And no, the crytek CEO never shot that down since the wii u has been finalized. He also didn't shoot it down when early wii unhardware was being tested. Thanks for playing.

Hope that helps.

P.s. apologies for typos. Smartphones are so smart they have a personality of their own. Lol

Edited by Socalmuscle, 03 March 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#44 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

We aren't talking about any great looking game on pc, we are talking about the very best. The maximum capabilities a pc can throw out changes every few months you say, true, but how often do we see that change? How long do you have to go back before you got the best looking game out there before crysis 3... that would probably be Battlefield 3 well over a year ago. How long was the first Crysis the king of graphics... it was years, Crysis 3 is expected to not be topped for two years etc. The interview I am referencing Yerli is referring to the capabilities of high end pc hardware, you can make any assumption you like, but the fact remains the pc levels Yerli is talking about on the wiiU or any console for that matter are simply not attainable in a $500 or under console.

The comments where made in February this year btw, after the wiiU was released, the wiiU simply doesn't have the hardware to run Crysis 3 utilizing all the pc's assets and features and even maintain 30fps at 1080p (hell a 680 can barely do that whilst using no antialiasing). I can see the wiiU maybe handling 1080p at medium/low settings (which does still look notably better then the ps3/360 releases), but that is a far cry from using what the pc has available to it.

Edited by PedanticGamer, 03 March 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#45 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

We aren't talking about any great looking game on pc, we are talking about the very best. The maximum capabilities a pc can throw out changes every few months you say, true, but how often do we see that change? How long do you have to go back before you got the best looking game out there before crysis 3... that would probably be Battlefield 3 well over a year ago. How long was the first Crysis the king of graphics... it was years, Crysis 3 is expected to not be topped for two years etc. The interview I am referencing Yerli is referring to the capabilities of high end pc hardware, you can make any assumption you like, but the fact remains the pc levels Yerli is talking about on the wiiU or any console for that matter are simply not attainable in a $500 or under console.

The comments where made in February this year btw, after the wiiU was released, the wiiU simply doesn't have the hardware to run Crysis 3 utilizing all the pc's assets and features and even maintain 30fps at 1080p (hell a 680 can barely do that whilst using no antialiasing). I can see the wiiU maybe handling 1080p at medium/low settings (which does still look notably better then the ps3/360 releases), but that is a far cry from using what the pc has available to it.

The argument here isn't the Wii U is able to run the game at full settings. But that the Wii U can play the game at all. The Wii wasn't able to play any modern engine because it simply did not have the resources. You guys are essentially saying the samething.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#46 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

... wiiU runs crysis 3 'beautifully'.  it was planed to be released on wiiU till EA through a fit and sayed no. the game was finished. this may also have something to do with y cinturian was alot more public with their version of NFSMW, so EA couldnt pull the plug without guaranteed backlash.  i dont see a issue with running any major engines, maiby not on max settings but pretty much every high end engine is scaleable, only reason not to run them is outdated hardware that cant use the assets which isnt a problem.

#47 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

... wiiU runs crysis 3 'beautifully'.  it was planed to be released on wiiU till EA through a fit and sayed no. the game was finished. this may also have something to do with y cinturian was alot more public with their version of NFSMW, so EA couldnt pull the plug without guaranteed backlash.  i dont see a issue with running any major engines, maiby not on max settings but pretty much every high end engine is scaleable, only reason not to run them is outdated hardware that cant use the assets which isnt a problem.

I agree it will run it, just at levels lower then the pc can. That is really all I have said regarding this.

#48 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:37 AM

Without reading much but the first post, I honestly think Nintendo should have one to one discussions with Crytek to make a new third party exclusive. So long as Nintendo publishes it and retains the publishing licence they should just allow Crytek to go nuts with their imagination, push the Wii U to its limits, visually aurally, and gameplay wise. Just allow any age rating, any subject matter, any genre.

That I think would work great. Not only does Nintendo get an exclusive game series, but we hopefully get a visually stunning one too.

#49 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

Without reading much but the first post, I honestly think Nintendo should have one to one discussions with Crytek to make a new third party exclusive. So long as Nintendo publishes it and retains the publishing licence they should just allow Crytek to go nuts with their imagination, push the Wii U to its limits, visually aurally, and gameplay wise. Just allow any age rating, any subject matter, any genre.

That I think would work great. Not only does Nintendo get an exclusive game series, but we hopefully get a visually stunning one too.

Good idea! Nintendo should do that with other independent studios, not just Crytech!

I agree it will run it, just at levels lower then the pc can. That is really all I have said regarding this.

PS4 and nextBox would not be able to run Crysis 3 like PC, Cryteck's words, not mine:

http://www.eurogamer...r-of-gaming-pcs

#50 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

Good idea! Nintendo should do that with other independent studios, not just Crytech!

I'm sure that if Regie and Iwata personalty just sat in a room face to face, one to one with these people asking what "Wii can do for U", cut out the publishers. Even brainstormed with them creatively rather than just talking business it'd bring a lot of developers moods up when it came to Nintendo. Bring in a personal touch

Edited by Penguin101, 04 March 2013 - 07:57 AM.

#51 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

PS4 and nextBox would not be able to run Crysis 3 like PC, Cryteck's words, not mine:

Nintendo is doin this. Look at Wonderful 101, Boyaneta 2, Lego City Underground. This is how Nintendo is solving the third party problem, and we will see more at E3. It is purely the smartest move yet.

#52 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

Nintendo is doin this. Look at Wonderful 101, Boyaneta 2, Lego City Underground. This is how Nintendo is solving the third party problem, and we will see more at E3. It is purely the smartest move yet.

Nintendo need more publishers outside Japan! Nintendo needs one exkluzive TPS game (Uncharted, Gears of War) , one exkluzive modern FPS game (Halo, Killzone)... People like this kind of games, and i know Nintendo can make best FPS and TPS out there, they just need will to do it. Crytek can make excellent FPS game, Nintendo just need to ask them, and give them money!

#53 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Sorry, the WiiU will not be able to run what Crysis 3 looks like at 1080p (or higher) at 60fps (or higher), therefore it will no look like it does on pc. If you don't believe me, thaty is what Cevat has said it is impossible  the CEO of the company who also is the director for the Crysis games.

This was your original statement that I corrected you on.  No backtracking please.

CryEngine 3 runs great on Wii U and has the ability to look as great at the PC version does at 1080P.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 04 March 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#54 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

I reckon that of course 1080p is doable it just depends if you use directx9 equivalent visual effects, 10.1 equivalent or 11+ equivalent visual effects, and if you upscale from 720p to 1080p. However there's no way that any next gen console could run Crysis 3 at its max settings at 1080p at 60fps. It just isn't going to happen. Not that there would be much noticeable unless you pause the game and run all three on different HDMI ports....In which case that's sad. 

My bet is Wii U will be very comfortable running beautiful next gen visuals at 720p at 30 frames, but I wouldn't put any money on getting a next gen game at 1080 unless it's upscaled. However I'd love Nintendo or a third party to prove me wrong. I mean it took criterion games 10 minutes to switch to DX11 equivalent visuals (yes they're not as good as the Crysis games but it's still progress) at 720 at 30 frames. they didn't bother tweaking any further as far as I know so it could mean with a little more experimentation we could have pushed the polygon and frame-rate at least hell maybe even upscaled it from 720 to 1080 who knows?

#55 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

This was your original statement that I corrected you on.  No backtracking please.

CryEngine 3 runs great on Wii U and has the ability to look as great at the PC version does at 1080P.

#56 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

LOL

that has nothing to do with the discussion.

No one said the new consoles are as powerful as gaming PC's.

But the CryEngine and Crysis 3 can look just as good as the PC version at 1080P.

Please keep it relevant to the actual subject at hand.

And the quote about how it is possible to build PCs to inifinity and back is why I mentioned what I did earlier.

But again, the Wii U, PS4, etc. will be running these games at a known 1080P.  not 4K, not Retina, etc. so there are less pixels to throw around, but the pixels that are there will be looking very nice.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 04 March 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#57 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

LOL

that has nothing to do with the discussion.

No one said the new consoles are as powerful as gaming PC's.

But the CryEngine and Crysis 3 can look just as good as the PC version at 1080P.

Please keep it relevant to the actual subject at hand.

And the quote about how it is possible to build PCs to inifinity and back is why I mentioned what I did earlier.

But again, the Wii U, PS4, etc. will be running these games at a known 1080P.  not 4K, not Retina, etc. so there are less pixels to throw around, but the pixels that are there will be looking very nice.

I do enjoy shiny pixels!

#58 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Nintendo need more publishers outside Japan! Nintendo needs one exkluzive TPS game (Uncharted, Gears of War) , one exkluzive modern FPS game (Halo, Killzone)... People like this kind of games, and i know Nintendo can make best FPS and TPS out there, they just need will to do it. Crytek can make excellent FPS game, Nintendo just need to ask them, and give them money!

i agree.

Why do you do thie? For arguments sake? Look, you two are essentially saying the samething. No one says the Wii U will be uber powerful. But will be able to run the game. With the same engine.Which isn't a problem. Developers use low, med, high settings for different pcs. But the Wi U will look just as good. Most people can't tell the difference. You and I can, sure. But most can't.

#59 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

set streight right on crysis 3 once duex ex is done. they can release almost imediatly, and actualy advertise. 

EA has so many of their own developers going against them =/.  heard (i think battlefield) devs hating on EA for treating them like crap.

#60 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

With EA in the room? No chance.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!