#41 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:54 AM

The "potential" means very little. What matters is what Nintendo has shown thus far, which hasn't looked amazing.

I beg to differ. Focusing on graphics... meh.

#42 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Actually, the nes was universally reviled by hardcore gamers of the time for bringing graphics back a generation and being a, and I quote 'crap system for kiddiez'.

The commador 64 had been out for 4 years, was sold at every retail and toy store, sported more WAAAAYYYY more ram, for higher quality graphics, and was capable of larger, more involved games... and by the time the nes came out, had killed off the rest of the competition in a BRUTAL price war (commador had a sizable hand in the crash of 83). The c64 was at a comparable price range as the nes, and by the time the nes released had a huge library of games.

Something kids didn't care about however, as they saw nes demo units in stores, and found the games incredible fun. While.they found the involved, complicated games of the c64 confusing and boring.

So, nintendo released an underpowered system with games enjoyable for all ages... And destroyed the high end competition relying on a small 'hardcore' demographic of males aged 16-24.... Much to the dismay of that tiny yet incredibly vocal dudebro demographic, with a product that appealed to males and females of all ages.

By the time the nes released commador had their next gen system, the 16 bit more powerful than snes amiga 500 (a stripped down version of the amiga 2000 soley for playing games).

The only time nintendo DIDNT release an underpowered product was the n64 and the cube. The two de facto worst generations for nintendo.

I remember the C64. it was cumbersome. It had better graphics and sound, but was a pain to play games.

the NES was a true console whereas the 64 was like a computer.

Also, the SNES was the most powerful console of its era.

Again, only the Wii was purposely underpowered by Nintnedo.

the other systems pursued high specs. And they attained their pursuit.

the Wii U will be somewhat different than both in that Nintendo is trying to strike the perfect balance of performance and price.

but it is markedly higher performing than the current gen machines.

#43 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

I remember the C64. it was cumbersome. It had better graphics and sound, but was a pain to play games.

the NES was a true console whereas the 64 was like a computer.

Also, the SNES was the most powerful console of its era.

Again, only the Wii was purposely underpowered by Nintnedo.

the other systems pursued high specs. And they attained their pursuit.

the Wii U will be somewhat different than both in that Nintendo is trying to strike the perfect balance of performance and price.

but it is markedly higher performing than the current gen machines.

Lol, that's quite the revisionist history there.

The commador 64 was and directly competed against game console companies like atari (famous for an advertising campaign for giving a hundred dollar mail in rebate for purchase of a commador 64 with the turn in of another game console).

To play a game on the c64, you simply inserted the game cartridge, then turned on the system. Not that complicated. You totally don't have to deal with commador basic to play games. You can enjoy commadors massive library of games without ever even thinking about 8,1.

Yes, cartridge, a proprietary format exclusive to the console, and not compatable with computers, like nes cartridges.

Commador 64 was sold at retail and toy stores, on the same shelves as atari systems.

The c64 was DESIGNED to be a video game console from its inception, and could be plugged into a television set thanks to its built in rf switch.

The c64 was no more a pc than the atari consoles. It was a videogame console.

It also cost 500 dollars less than actual computers like the apple II, and game consoles like the atari 800.

There is no way you can simply dismiss this. Its hard reality.

5 years before the super nintendo came out, the successor to the c64 was released, the amiga.

3 years before the snes came out, the stripped down low priced game console version of the amiga, the amiga 500 came out.

The snes was outdated before it came out. The snes wasn't a success because it had the best graphics and attracted all tje hardcore gamers. The snes was a success because it was an affordable family freindly console and parents bought it for their CHILDREN.

Also, because despite the amiga offering superior hardware, nintendo games whooped the ever living rainbowe out of western games of the late 80s and warly 90s. There are a lot of important and historical games on the c64, and the amiga, but not one could hold a candle to games like link to the past or super metroid. And this is coming from a big another world/out of this world fan.

Hardcore gamers of the day HATED the nes and snes.

Edited by 3Dude, 11 September 2012 - 12:52 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#44 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

What? Why? NO!

#45 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

Lol, that's quite the revisionist history there.

The commador 64 was and directly competed against game console companies like atari (famous for an advertising campaign for giving a hundred dollar mail in rebate for purchase of a commador 64 with the turn in of another game console).

To play a game on the c64, you simply inserted the game cartridge, then turned on the system. Not that complicated. You totally don't have to deal with commador basic to play games. You can enjoy commadors massive library of games without ever even thinking about 8,1.

Yes, cartridge, a proprietary format exclusive to the console, and not compatable with computers, like nes cartridges.

Commador 64 was sold at retail and toy stores, on the same shelves as atari systems.

The c64 was DESIGNED to be a video game console from its inception, and could be plugged into a television set thanks to its built in rf switch.

The c64 was no more a pc than the atari consoles. It was a videogame console.

It also cost 500 dollars less than actual computers like the apple II, and game consoles like the atari 800.

There is no way you can simply dismiss this. Its hard reality.

5 years before the super nintendo came out, the successor to the c64 was released, the amiga.

3 years before the snes came out, the stripped down low priced game console version of the amiga, the amiga 500 came out.

The snes was outdated before it came out. The snes wasn't a success because it had the best graphics and attracted all tje hardcore gamers. The snes was a success because it was an affordable family freindly console and parents bought it for their CHILDREN.

Also, because despite the amiga offering superior hardware, nintendo games whooped the ever living rainbowe out of western games of the late 80s and warly 90s. There are a lot of important and historical games on the c64, and the amiga, but not one could hold a candle to games like link to the past or super metroid. And this is coming from a big another world/out of this world fan.

Hardcore gamers of the day HATED the nes and snes.

Hardcore gamers BOUGHT the NES and snes.

The c64 was a pain. Loading games and controlling them sucked.

It was a NICHE system. It had good capability. But it wasn't a smooth ride.

That's why most preferred the snes and NES, which dominated its true competitors -not some Frankenstein machine.

I had all systems. The c64 was cool. But it wasn't a true competitor to the home consoles in the sense that we know home consoles to be historically.

And I don't care if "game stores sold it"

Even commodore called it the "personal computer with professional power."

It was a transitional machine that couldn't make up its mind whether it wanted to be a gaming OC or a console and ended up neither. It a category on its own.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 11 September 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#46 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

A bunch of text was here.

I need to clarify this... The C64 Video Game system was based off the then insanely popular C64 Home Computers. The C64 Video Game system suffered from a PLAGUE of issues from it's launch. Oddly enough, one of it's biggest issues was the lack of a keyboard. So much for trying not to be like a PC. Amiga CD32 came out with a plague of company issues. They were close to bankruptcy by this time. Their issues had nothing to do with Nintendo, as they were primary a computer company. I can't see why "hardcore gamers" at the time would hate Nintendo.. in fact, I can't even think of any game title from the C64 that are important or historical seeing as almost no one supported their video game venture.

Meh. Although, LOL at whoever said SNES was the most powerful of it's time. No. I can't think of a time where Nintendo was ever the most powerful.

#47 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

I need to clarify this... The C64 Video Game system was based off the then insanely popular C64 Home Computers. The C64 Video Game system suffered from a PLAGUE of issues from it's launch. Oddly enough, one of it's biggest issues was the lack of a keyboard. So much for trying not to be like a PC. Amiga CD32 came out with a plague of company issues. They were close to bankruptcy by this time. Their issues had nothing to do with Nintendo, as they were primary a computer company. I can't see why "hardcore gamers" at the time would hate Nintendo.. in fact, I can't even think of any game title from the C64 that are important or historical seeing as almost no one supported their video game venture.

Meh. Although, LOL at whoever said SNES was the most powerful of it's time. No. I can't think of a time where Nintendo was ever the most powerful.

Uh, the c64 and several of its popular games were just added as a display at the smithsonian musuem of videogame history.

The c64 had a fantastic run, was the most sucsessful console of its generation, wonderfully supported, and garnered commador 60% of the games market.

I never said nintendos nes had anything to do with the c64's, I said the c64 contributed quite well to the crash of 83, by running competing companies out of business. By the time the nes came out, the c64 was done with its run and its successor was out.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#48 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'm still laughing over the hard core gamer tag. Hardcore gamers as we know them didn't really exist back in the 80's and 90's since there really wasn't a casual base to compare them to yet...

In response to the SNES... it wasn't the most powerful console of It's generation.. but other than Sega at the time...No one else really posed real competition.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#49 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

I'm still laughing over the hard core gamer tag. Hardcore gamers as we know them didn't really exist back in the 80's and 90's since there really wasn't a casual base to compare them to yet...

In response to the SNES... it wasn't the most powerful console of It's generation.. but other than Sega at the time...No one else really posed real competition.

Lol, of course they existed, you are just focused on when the TERM became popular, and ognori.g that the same types of people have been there all along.

Nes WAS casual. It was made for, and easily accessible to, children.

Back then the hardcore weren't called hardcore, this was before gaming became popular enough, and game journalists existed to give themselves such a self fellating title.

They were called obsessed, freaks, basement dwellers, losers, nerds, geeks, you get the idea.

They were a demographic of upmarket consumers who had been consumers for several generations, they bought the most cutting edge tech of the time, insisted on the best, and looked down on anything less or different as crap.

When the nes began picking up steam despite the fact it wasn't cutting edge they quickly lashed out at it.

Nothings changed. Its a hilarious cycle.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#50 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

Lol, of course they existed, you are just focused on when the TERM became popular, and ognori.g that the same types of people have been there all along.

Nes WAS casual. It was made for, and easily accessible to, children.

Back then the hardcore weren't called hardcore, this was before gaming became popular enough, and game journalists existed to give themselves such a self fellating title.

They were called obsessed, freaks, basement dwellers, losers, nerds, geeks, you get the idea.

They were a demographic of upmarket consumers who had been consumers for several generations, they bought the most cutting edge tech of the time, insisted on the best, and looked down on anything less or different as crap.

When the nes began picking up steam despite the fact it wasn't cutting edge they quickly lashed out at it.

Nothings changed. Its a hilarious cycle.

Yeah. I hear ya. When I was 8 or 9...I got my Sega Genesis...friends and the outside world ceased to exist lol
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#51 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

Speaking of Sega Genesis: http://thewiiu.com/t...chaotixs-music/

#52 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

When it came out, it was. The genesis was lower specc'd. And snes had superior audio to boot.

The various cd based console failures like the 3do came later and were destroyed by play station. Then n64 came out and was every bit the most powerful console of its generation.

#53 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

Uh, the c64 and several of its popular games were just added as a display at the smithsonian musuem of videogame history.

The c64 had a fantastic run, was the most sucsessful console of its generation, wonderfully supported, and garnered commador 60% of the games market.

I never said nintendos nes had anything to do with the c64's, I said the c64 contributed quite well to the crash of 83, by running competing companies out of business. By the time the nes came out, the c64 was done with its run and its successor was out.

When I mentioned Nintendo, it was a reply to the quote you replied too.. sorry for the confusion ^^

Also, I really have to ask this, are you talk about the Video Game system or are you talking about the Computer? Because no, the C64GS did NOT generate much support at all due to publishers lack of faith.

#54 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:45 AM

When I mentioned Nintendo, it was a reply to the quote you replied too.. sorry for the confusion ^^

Also, I really have to ask this, are you talk about the Video Game system or are you talking about the Computer? Because no, the C64GS did NOT generate much support at all due to publishers lack of faith.

Well, I don't live in europe. So I actually never heard of the gs model.

Though I think the 90s may have been past the uh, hot point in the systems life. Wonder what they wete thinking.

The c64 was a video game system, though, it was no more an actual personal computer than the nes, despite their claims of it being a 'game console that does more".

With just one expansion port, and no real upgradable functionality whatsoever, it was a closed box system, a console.

Everyone called their products personal or family computers back then.

Atari branded theirs the atari family computers, Nintendo called theirs the family computer, and also had keyboards, built in monitors, basic, printers, disc drives, modems, and word processor applications.

Still not considered pc's over game consoles.

See, when people attempt to dismiss the c64 in the way they do in this thread, they try to call it a pc in the same context as pc's we have today, so it puts it in a seperate category for game consoles, so they can ignore it.

But that's just not the case, you couldn't slide open the c64 and put in a new cpu, or top line gpu, or upgrade the ram like you do with the pc's they are trying to categorize it with. It was a closed box system, designed primarily to play games. It was a game console.

Edited by 3Dude, 12 September 2012 - 04:36 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#55 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

Bunch of text was here

This isn't to dismiss the C64's accomplishments in the video game industry, but they advertised themselves as a home personal computer and even advertised the idea of work over gaming (for college students anyway). They were first and foremost a microcomputer, not a video game console. The NES (not famicom) was a Video Game Console.

Also, sorry for getting confused with the C64GS and C64. I'm actually getting confused now writing this... Blarghhh.

#56 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

This isn't to dismiss the C64's accomplishments in the video game industry, but they advertised themselves as a home personal computer and even advertised the idea of work over gaming (for college students anyway). They were first and foremost a microcomputer, not a video game console. The NES (not famicom) was a Video Game Console.

Also, sorry for getting confused with the C64GS and C64. I'm actually getting confused now writing this... Blarghhh.

The famicom was also a game console.

Computers weren't sold on toy store shelves and other retail stores, C64 was. Computers were sold at electronics stores.... C64 wasn't.

And that tag line was this.

'Why get your kids JUST a video game console when you can get them one that prepares them for college? Commador 64, video game console and more'.

And then they gave you a hundred bucks if you turned in a timex or atari or other game system or computer.

I think everything had to have at least 1 rhyme in the 80's.

From its earliest design stages, the c64 was first and foremost designed to play games.

commador wanted mos technologies to develop the graphics processor for a next gen video game console. They came up with the vic II.

As soon as it was ready cbm took the c64 to game tradeshows to bloody ataris nose by showcasing their price/performance vantage.

C64 was for games, c128 was the home business computer.... None of the machines in the 80's were pc's in the context of the conversation you joined, which excludes pc's from being grouped with consoles because they are open box systems, allowing the owner to replace cpu's, gpu's, sound cards, ram etc at will, providing an unfair advantadge over consoles.

Edited by 3Dude, 12 September 2012 - 01:12 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#57 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

NES was hardcore. If you don't believe me, go and try to beat a handful of games. Yes, gamers are lucky today.

#58 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

Um I may be just confused but isn't everything said this page or so Off-Topic?

#59 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

Um I may be just confused but isn't everything said this page or so Off-Topic?

More than likely. Grab some tea and enjoy.

#60 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

NES was hardcore. If you don't believe me, go and try to beat a handful of games. Yes, gamers are lucky today.

I dont know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal.

I beat battletoads.

I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!