• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 giggity3000

giggity3000

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:44 PM

(i'll post link when my laptop is done bieng repaired.)
I've recently heard rumors about the Xbox 720 bieng shown at E3 next and Microsoft always releases hardware a few months after announcing, if this is true then the Wii U may not get enough time to capture the market.
Discuss.

1367065580450s.jpg

#2 Marik

Marik

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:48 PM

It depends on what you want. Do you want to pay a wad of cash for online to be able to play with a bunch of 13 year olds who trash talk, and play games that are generic, or do you want to play a console that will undoubtedly be an innovative success and has games made by the big N? I don't think there will be much of a problem with competition.

#3 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:49 PM

(i'll post link when my laptop is done bieng repaired.)
I've recently heard rumors about the Xbox 720 bieng shown at E3 next and Microsoft always releases hardware a few months after announcing, if this is true then the Wii U may not get enough time to capture the market.
Discuss.

I highly doubt it, they just showed how dedicated they are with their Kinect stuff, they are treating it as a new console. I'm guessing we'll see new console reveals E3 2013 and releases 2014.
Both Microsoft and Sony said this gen life cycle will be considerably longer, Sony even saying 10 years.

you have a link to go with those rumours?

#4 Camcam281

Camcam281

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kid icarus, Mario kart, and OoT :)

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

Yeah, even how dumb Microsoft is, they are smart enough NOT to release a console to early. Same goes for Sony. Don't expect another console from either until at least 2013.
Posted Image

#5 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

I beleve that was a fake rumor you was hearing since if it was the same one I seen a couple of days ago it was fake.

#6 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

I beleve that was a fake rumor you was hearing since if it was the same one I seen a couple of days ago it was fake.

Agreed. Crytek are the ones who supposedly said that. They also said they didn't have a dev kit from Microsoft and they wouldn't say they did if indeed they had a dev kit. Nintendo is in competition with themselves. They only look at what try are trying to do. Media make it a competition when it is clearly not.

Edited by Tre, 19 June 2011 - 07:09 PM.

#7 Jabob

Jabob

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:32 AM

Microsoft definitely weren't planning to release another console soon, we can see that with what they've done with Kinect. If they release a new console soon it will evidently be rushed, I wouldn't be surprised if they show something at E3, but we won't be seeing a new console till 2013.

#8 raney150

raney150

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:40 AM

I highly doubt it, they just showed how dedicated they are with their Kinect stuff, they are treating it as a new console. I'm guessing we'll see new console reveals E3 2013 and releases 2014.
Both Microsoft and Sony said this gen life cycle will be considerably longer, Sony even saying 10 years.

you have a link to go with those rumours?

STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP!!!!

Sony has never said they won't release new consoles for 10 more years. They just said the PS3's life cycle will be 10 years. That's a HUGE difference. The PS2 is in it's 11th year of it's lifecycle.

#9 Jabob

Jabob

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:41 AM

STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP!!!!

Sony has never said they won't release new consoles for 10 more years. They just said the PS3's life cycle will be 10 years. That's a HUGE difference. The PS2 is in it's 11th year of it's lifecycle.

I hate to break it to you but the PS2 is not in it's 11th year, it went out back in 2008 (about a year after PS3's release), just because people still play it, or there might be a game ported to it every now and then doesn't mean it's still on it's lifecycle.
If they want the PS3 to last till 2017 then the PS4 can't come out until late 2016.
The NES wasn't officially discontinued in Japan until 2003, but that was after the GCN came out (3 consoles later!) does that mean it had a life cycle of 18 years? No.

Edited by Jabob, 20 June 2011 - 01:46 AM.

#10 raney150

raney150

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:25 AM

I hate to break it to you but the PS2 is not in it's 11th year, it went out back in 2008 (about a year after PS3's release), just because people still play it, or there might be a game ported to it every now and then doesn't mean it's still on it's lifecycle.
If they want the PS3 to last till 2017 then the PS4 can't come out until late 2016.
The NES wasn't officially discontinued in Japan until 2003, but that was after the GCN came out (3 consoles later!) does that mean it had a life cycle of 18 years? No.

There are still games made for the PS2
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PS2-New-Titles-2010-2011

If they are still making games for it, it's life cycle hasn't ended.

#11 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:32 AM

They just said the PS3's life cycle will be 10 years. That's a HUGE difference.

funny that.

anyway, they still said it would be longer so that still means they'll be focusing on it longer than the PS2, longer being the key word here.

#12 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:32 AM

Sony's CEO recently said that the PS4 is still a long way off and a Sony VP said we shouldn't expect a massive leap in graphics for the next-gen. If that is true, then it looks like Nintendo have been pretty smart, in their timing, if not their presentation.

I'm beginning to think that the next-gen might well be about cloud-gaming rather than just a powerful console. such a move would make it easier for the console/service provider to upgrade tech, at least the game processing parts, and subscriptions tend to bring in more than one-off payments.

#13 giggity3000

giggity3000

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:36 AM

Sony's CEO recently said that the PS4 is still a long way off and a Sony VP said we shouldn't expect a massive leap in graphics for the next-gen. If that is true, then it looks like Nintendo have been pretty smart, in their timing, if not their presentation.

I'm beginning to think that the next-gen might well be about cloud-gaming rather than just a powerful console. such a move would make it easier for the console/service provider to upgrade tech, at least the game processing parts, and subscriptions tend to bring in more than one-off payments.

If this is true then Nintendo has this generatiion in the bag.

1367065580450s.jpg

#14 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:20 AM

No offense, but only an idiot would trust these rumors. And if they're true, then Microsoft are idiots for doing such a thing. The Kinect has only just released and they're going to milk it as much as possible. If the Wii U doesn't attract enough third parties there isn't much point, so they probably won't release until Wii U has been in the market for at least a year.

#15 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:04 AM

It depends on what you want. Do you want to pay a wad of cash for online to be able to play with a bunch of 13 year olds who trash talk, and play games that are generic, or do you want to play a console that will undoubtedly be an innovative success and has games made by the big N? I don't think there will be much of a problem with competition.

To be honest, I'd pay a fat stack of cash for Xboxlive if the WiiU's online is crap, 13 year olds or no 13 year olds.

#16 Oni-Link

Oni-Link

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • Fandom:
    Phantasy star,Kingdom hearts,pokemon,Loz

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

There are still games made for the PS2
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PS2-New-Titles-2010-2011

If they are still making games for it, it's life cycle hasn't ended.

Well,If you Wanna Get Technical Then Sure,There Still making Ports and What not for the PS2.

but At the Same time the Focus is On This Gen. And the Next one.You really think the PS2 is going to Be that Important with the Current and future systems? People may still play the systems at there Home,But market,Sale,and Gen. Wise the Systems "Life Span" Has Ended.Bringing Ports and acouple of games to it,But lets face it,Even if Sony makes a Anouncment saying "Our PS2 life cycle is Still going as long as Games are made for it" Its Known for a Fact that Once the New system Comes out,the Previous gens is Over,Unless Both Are still Fully Alive as Part as there Plans.You Really Think sony's going to release a PS4 While Running the Life cycle of the PS3 on-Par with eachother? They claimed there system is Pretty much Advanced at its best and that its Time isnt Close to Being over,making a New system and planning to Keep the ps3's Lifecycle open Would Be a Waste of Money and a Loss.Making a Game for the PS3 and PS4,"hmmmmm i have a ps3,so Buying a ps4 just to Get updated graphics on the same game will be a waste,ill stick with my ps3 since the same games are coming out for it.". Or it could go the Other Way around,Either Way,There Going to Drag the PS3 Out until they Finally say Ok We need a Major Next gen Update All Around.

Edited by Oni-Link, 20 June 2011 - 10:46 AM.

Posted Image

#17 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

To be honest, I'd pay a fat stack of cash for Xboxlive if the WiiU's online is crap, 13 year olds or no 13 year olds.

Ya, me too... I was really angry, at first, about the idea of paying for online functionality. But I'm remarkably happy, in a way that really surprises me, with my experience on Xbox Live... if a monthly fee is what it takes to make and maintain a truly first-class online hub of connectivity, then Nintendo needs to do it. I will be a big N fan regardless... I just won't use the WiiU to connect with information and with other gamers, and that will definitely cut down on the time that I play it.

As far as "competition" goes, I really do believe that Nintendo's biggest competition is itself at this point. Will the company utilize its influence and its potential, or will they fall back on the security of what has worked before when push comes to shove. They need to be bold and daring - to take some big leaps (which is not really in the history of their corporate culture, strangely enough, though it has been in the culture of many of their designers).

The hardware worries are, I believe, a red herring and a non-starter in terms of prophecies of apocalyptic doom for Nintendo. Until they figure out how to put light on silicon, they're not going to revolutionize processing power in terms of raw potential for gaming... and the prohibitive costs involved with increasingly powerful high-end gaming rigs will effectively keep what increased potential there is out of the reach of console makers (build me a high-end gaming PC for $400 or less, and show me what you are able to come up with) - which, in turn, means that game developers are not going to be making games with a revolutionary increase in visuals (because the consoles can't handle it).

Now, this might mean that console gaming is on its way out (and I've heard such fears expressed)... but that's the topic of another thread.

#18 Oni-Link

Oni-Link

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • Fandom:
    Phantasy star,Kingdom hearts,pokemon,Loz

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

Im Trying to Have faith in Nintendo That There Online Features will be better this Time.
Posted Image

#19 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

Ya, me too...

We seem to agree on a lot of things! lol

Yeah, if a few dollars a month are what it takes to provide a quality online service than count me in, again (I've been happy with xbox live, worth the money).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!