• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Falconberg

Falconberg

Spiny

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

There seems to be some complaining among game reviewers that the 8 or 32GB memory is simply not enough in this day and age.
I thought this is a little silly since they enable you to use any usb based memory device. It seems to me like this will save costs in a big way. And memory is only getting cheaper.
Why weren't these people whining when Microsoft decided.to force us to use only special 360 harddrives that cost an arm and a leg? If anything they should be praising nintendo for not trying to milk even more $ out of us than they will already be getting.
-falconberg (Nintendo Network ID)

#2 Coreykun667

Coreykun667

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

I heard something about SSDs being used instead of HDDs. Not exactly sure if that's true, but maybe that's the reason for little memory? :huh:

The Joestars always have a strategy. And that is to...
RUN AWAY joestar-run.gif

#3 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Reggie explained that memory is constantly getting cheaper. he said that if u buy a wii u with 80GB for example, you would pay 2012 price for 80GB. but this way you only pay 2012 price for 32GB and next year or or two years later you can buy more memory for cheaper prices. so basically, they are saying they don't want to force us to buy all the memory at launch, instead we can buy it over the years which will be cheaper for us
Posted Image

#4 Falconberg

Falconberg

Spiny

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

That's so true. look at the cost of xbox memory. I could bee wrong but $160 for 250GB seems a little pricey even for 2012. I mean, there are companies out there who do nothing but memory for as cheap as they can do it. I love that Nintendo let's them do that so it can focus on what it does. Hardware and software
-falconberg (Nintendo Network ID)

#5 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

There seems to be some complaining among game reviewers that the 8 or 32GB memory is simply not enough in this day and age.
I thought this is a little silly since they enable you to use any usb based memory device. It seems to me like this will save costs in a big way. And memory is only getting cheaper.
Why weren't these people whining when Microsoft decided.to force us to use only special 360 harddrives that cost an arm and a leg? If anything they should be praising nintendo for not trying to milk even more $ out of us than they will already be getting.

People have a valid point and good reason to complain. Even though the storage capacity can be increased by using external USB hard drives and SDHC cards it's hardly convenient. Also the fact that storage space gets cheaper over time is a very poor excuse. If Microsoft and Sony can include 320GB hard drives so can Nintendo. As for people not whining about Microsoft using proprietory casings and connections for their hard drives I don't know where you got that from as people have been complaining about that ever since the console launched. At the end of the day people have every right to complain about the small storage capacity in the Wii U. The only reason why it doesn't bother me is because the Wii U like the Wii is primarily for the Nintendo exclusives for me and the Xbox 360 and PS3 are my primary consoles.

#6 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

People have a valid point and good reason to complain. Even though the storage capacity can be increased by using external USB hard drives and SDHC cards it's hardly convenient. Also the fact that storage space gets cheaper over time is a very poor excuse. If Microsoft and Sony can include 320GB hard drives so can Nintendo. As for people not whining about Microsoft using proprietory casings and connections for their hard drives I don't know where you got that from as people have been complaining about that ever since the console launched. At the end of the day people have every right to complain about the small storage capacity in the Wii U. The only reason why it doesn't bother me is because the Wii U like the Wii is primarily for the Nintendo exclusives for me and the Xbox 360 and PS3 are my primary consoles.

I have a ps3 with 160 gb. Ive used 6 gb and I've played 30+games. So i don't think the small storage space is going to bother me. I mean I don't think I had any with my wii and I got along fine with my 30$ SD card. And the wii u is going to be way more than just a Nintendo exclusive console, it already has the best version of Blops 2 and developers are praising it. And there are 50+ games in the launch window, I don't think I have ever seems a launch with that many games.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#7 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Yes, it's a valid reason to complain, but there's also a VERY simple solution. Buy the extra memory yourself. Reggie is right in saying memory is getting cheaper and putting it on the system would cost US more money than simply buying the amount we need. (For instance, I will most likely be spending an extra 20 bucks for an extra 32 gb). The amount of backlash this has been getting makes no sense in comparison to the backlash both SONY and Microsoft have been getting for their issues. They contradict each other.

#8 nfzeta007

nfzeta007

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

I think this was a good move, as KillerMario pointed out not everyone needs a butt load of storage, i myself don't download full titles, just the occasional demo and few small games (2-4) and even when you think about DLC and updates it doesn't take u that much space so if they were to cut down on production price anywhere i think storage would be the best as not only is it easy and cheap to get an additional hard drive but it says some of the people who don't need all the extra space from paying extra and all that space within the system is freed up for other tech and cooling uses.

Edited by nfzeta007, 16 September 2012 - 12:50 PM.

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

I heard something about SSDs being used instead of HDDs. Not exactly sure if that's true, but maybe that's the reason for little memory? :huh:

It's using a similar memory type to ssd.
The storage space is there to provide a 100% install base for having space on the console. It doesn't matter how much they give you, just that developers now know that every single game they make, can use at least 4 or 5 GB or hard drive space if they think the game needs it.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

I have a ps3 with 160 gb. Ive used 6 gb and I've played 30+games. So i don't think the small storage space is going to bother me. I mean I don't think I had any with my wii and I got along fine with my 30$ SD card. And the wii u is going to be way more than just a Nintendo exclusive console, it already has the best version of Blops 2 and developers are praising it. And there are 50+ games in the launch window, I don't think I have ever seems a launch with that many games.

What makes you so sure the Wii U version of Call Of Duty Black Ops II is going to be the best. It's still in development as are the other versions and no one can say yet which version or versions will be the best. As far as I can see so far the only advantage the Wii U version has is that you can play co-op using the tablet and the TV for two separate players. That alone doesn't in any way make it better.

Yes, it's a valid reason to complain, but there's also a VERY simple solution. Buy the extra memory yourself. Reggie is right in saying memory is getting cheaper and putting it on the system would cost US more money than simply buying the amount we need. (For instance, I will most likely be spending an extra 20 bucks for an extra 32 gb). The amount of backlash this has been getting makes no sense in comparison to the backlash both SONY and Microsoft have been getting for their issues. They contradict each other.

Whether its a simple solution or not is not the point. It's still inconvenient and ridiculous to expect people to provide their own external solutions when storage capacity is so cheap these days. They are promoting their online eShop including the ability to download retail games yet they are only offering a maximum of 32GB internal storage. In this day and age that is not acceptable. As for the backlash compared to what Sony and Microsoft have been getting I have no idea what you're referring to.

I think this was a good move, as KillerMario pointed out not everyone needs a butt load of storage, i myself don't download full titles, just the occasional demo and few small games (2-4) and even when you think about DLC and updates it doesn't take u that much space so if they were to cut down on production price anywhere i think storage would be the best as not only is it easy and cheap to get an additional hard drive but it says some of the people who don't need all the extra space from paying extra and all that space within the system is freed up for other tech and cooling uses.

That's a poor and inexcusable reason considering how cheap internal storage is these days.

#11 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Whether its a simple solution or not is not the point. It's still inconvenient and ridiculous to expect people to provide their own external solutions when storage capacity is so cheap these days. They are promoting their online eShop including the ability to download retail games yet they are only offering a maximum of 32GB internal storage. In this day and age that is not acceptable. As for the backlash compared to what Sony and Microsoft have been getting I have no idea what you're referring to.

So you would rather pay more for built in storage than go out and buy something that'll cost cheaper altogether? It's not inconvenient considering all major retailers sell some from of external storage. In fact, it's convenient on our pockets.

Sony included no internal memory on the Vita and sold proprietary solutions that were expensive. Microsoft is almost completely proprietary and expensive. Both receive backlash. Nintendo offers cheap solution, receives backlash. It's contradicting (and annoying).

#12 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

What makes you so sure the Wii U version of Call Of Duty Black Ops II is going to be the best. It's still in development as are the other versions and no one can say yet which version or versions will be the best. As far as I can see so far the only advantage the Wii U version has is that you can play co-op using the tablet and the TV for two separate players. That alone doesn't in any way make it better.

That's a poor and inexcusable reason considering how cheap internal storage is these days.

32 unacceptable? Worlds best selling tablet says hi.
No sig.

#13 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

It is the best because it runs at 1080p 60fps. It has a better split screen gameplay that won't cause
Me and my brother to fight about screen looking. I think that justifies it being the best version.

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#14 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

You people amaze me. Nintendo gives us the greatest solution in terms of memory capacity and money saving, and you complain? Are you guys kidding me? You complain that both Sony and Xbox have proprietary memory and that it is expensive. Nintendo is giving us the option of expanding however we see fit. And it will be extremely cheaper on us. SD cards with high capacities are fairly cheap, and so are external hard drives. Honestly people just look for something to complain about. Shut up and accept the fact that a company is trying to help you out in terms of price on a console by trying to make it affordable for you.
zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#15 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

So you would rather pay more for built in storage than go out and buy something that'll cost cheaper altogether? It's not inconvenient considering all major retailers sell some from of external storage. In fact, it's convenient on our pockets.

Sony included no internal memory on the Vita and sold proprietary solutions that were expensive. Microsoft is almost completely proprietary and expensive. Both receive backlash. Nintendo offers cheap solution, receives backlash. It's contradicting (and annoying).

What makes you think internal storage is going to be more expensive then external. Yes Microsoft used a special enclosure making it hard to upgrade the internal storage and charging a lot for their proprietory hard drives. Sony didn't. They included a standard 2.5" laptop style hard drive and made it very easy to upgrade it which a lot of people did. That said I rather pay a bit more for larger internal storage then worry about the practicality of external storage. I already have loads of bits and pieces on my AV rack as I own a Wii, PS3, Xbox 360, Mac Mini with an external DVD drive and two external hard drives, a DVD player, a Sky satellite TV box and my surround sound amp. I already have a lot of cables dangling from the back and I don't want another one or the necessity to find space for another external hard drive. Not to mention all the various controllers and input devices for the consoles and my Mac. As for sony selling proprietory external cards that's all a result of the rampant piracy on the PSP so blame the pirated and not Sony. At the end of the day 32GB of internal storage is not enough and there is no justification to have so little. There should be at least 320GB at the bare minimum.

32 unacceptable? Worlds best selling tablet says hi.

Absolute rubbish. It's ridiculous comparing a tablet to a games console. The file sizes are significantly different for applications/ games on both. Besides I have a 64GB iPad and I'm already running out of space.

#16 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

Can somebody give me an estimate on how many retail games I could download onto a 32 GB Wii U.

#17 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

It is the best because it runs at 1080p 60fps. It has a better split screen gameplay that won't cause
Me and my brother to fight about screen looking. I think that justifies it being the best version.

Sorry but that's not a valid reason to make it outright better then the other versions. That's just your opinion and very subjective. Like I said the different versions of the games are still in development and until they are finished and we've had a chance to play and find out how they compare no one can say one is better then the other.

You people amaze me. Nintendo gives us the greatest solution in terms of memory capacity and money saving, and you complain? Are you guys kidding me? You complain that both Sony and Xbox have proprietary memory and that it is expensive. Nintendo is giving us the option of expanding however we see fit. And it will be extremely cheaper on us. SD cards with high capacities are fairly cheap, and so are external hard drives. Honestly people just look for something to complain about. Shut up and accept the fact that a company is trying to help you out in terms of price on a console by trying to make it affordable for you.

Stop telling people to shut up. Everyone is entitled to their views and opinions. You may be satisfied with Nintendo's decision to go with a small storage capacity and dissolusioned that it's cheaper and practical to go with additional external storage but not everyone is. It makes no sense what so ever not to include larger storage capacity in this day and age. Nintendo have come a long way to offer parity with their competitors with regards to the Wii U in many ways but storage capacity is not one of them and they have no excuse. Internal hard drives are cheap and a dime a dozen these days.

#18 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Sorry but that's not a valid reason to make it outright better then the other versions. That's just your opinion and very subjective. Like I said the different versions of the games are still in development and until they are finished and we've had a chance to play and find out how they compare no one can say one is better then the other.

Ummmmm. So 1080p 60 fps doesnt mean anything compared to 720p 60fps??? Maybe the gamepad combo is opinion, but it is optional so that is an added feature not on PS360 so if it isnt as good, fine, don't use it. But it being in a native higher definition does in fact make it superior.

#19 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

Heres a solution to the harddrive... go buy this.... make so many Miis :P

http://www.google.co...ved=0CH0Q8wIwAA

#20 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

@Gamejunkie you must have some money to spend then. Had they made a console with plenty of memory it would likely have cost 450 to 500 just for the system alone.

I don't see what the problem is going out and buying extremely cheap storage elsewhere. You would rather pay a large amount of money just to have it built in then pay a small amount to have more externally? It doesn't make sense.
zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!