• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 abbe

abbe

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:20 AM

When i first saw the bottom of the wii u controller, i thought it was a USB port for charging the controller like the mini usb port on the ps3 controller. But no, it IS a hdmi port, and i know we pretty much know that now. but there is also another thing i noticed in this video: (at 1:24), he reveals an AC port that i havent seen yet. he also confirms the hdmi port.

....Soo..what could the hdmi port be for??

Edited by abbe, 21 June 2011 - 07:48 AM.

#2 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:04 AM

It doesn't really make sense. HDMI ports on devices like phones are used to transfer the screen on the phone to the tv or vice versa. Seeing as how the controller already does this wirelessly, who knows what it's for.

#3 Camcam281

Camcam281

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kid icarus, Mario kart, and OoT :)

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:04 AM

It doesn't really make sense. HDMI ports on devices like phones are used to transfer the screen on the phone to the tv or vice versa. Seeing as how the controller already does this wirelessly, who knows what it's for.

Exactly what I was going to put. Thanks for saving me some time :D
Posted Image

#4 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

hooking it up to a tv in a different room streaming the content from the Wii U console to the controller back to a different tv...?

lol I have no idea, maybe there'll be a difference in quality with streaming it wireless?

#5 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:34 AM

Hooking up extra controllers by cable, to save compressing the signal for wireless streaming?

#6 abbe

abbe

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

Hooking up extra controllers by cable, to save compressing the signal for wireless streaming?

the thing is, (if thats the case), it wouldnt be there if nintendo wont sell seperate controllers.

wierd...

#7 logitech

logitech

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

Maybe we will be able to stream other things into the controller... Like a Blu-Ray player maybe?

How funny would it be if we could play a PS3 on the Wii U controller!

#8 Storm

Storm

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

Best use of the Wii U yet.

#9 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

Maybe we will be able to stream other things into the controller... Like a Blu-Ray player maybe?

I could definitely see this as a possibility. But Nintendo has, strangely, been known to include mysterious ports that never get used... remember the expansion ports on your SNES and N64 (the ones on the bottom)? Some of those get used for Japan-only releases (like the Famicom disc-drive)... but this? I can only assume that it's a way to link the WiiU to another player, or a yet-to-be-named peripheral like a video camera... weird.

#10 CapeOfSuperman

CapeOfSuperman

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:48 AM

hooking it up to a tv in a different room streaming the content from the Wii U console to the controller back to a different tv...?

lol I have no idea, maybe there'll be a difference in quality with streaming it wireless?

Streaming to a different TV would make sense if the streaming capability can handle it. Lets say you want to play a Zelda game in co-op, one player can use a Wii remote and nunchuck on the regular HDTV while the other player sits in the bedroom and plays on a second TV with the Wii U controller. Or he/she can also connect it to a computer screen and sit really up close (HDMI->DVI converters would also work with this scenario).

If the Zelda game supports 1080p in single player it would push 2.073.600 pixels/sec (1920*1080) and two screens with 720p would push 1.843.200 pixels/sec (1280*720*2). The controller and console probably wont be able to handle that kind of streaming power but we might get 480p for the second TV/monitor.

Right now we can really only make some wild speculation on what this extra HDMI port will be used for...

Edited by CapeOfSuperman, 22 June 2011 - 03:51 AM.

#11 logitech

logitech

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

Or what about playing another Wii U on your Wii U controller?!

Posted Image

#12 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

The only thing that really makes sense is hooking it up to a different TV for wireless multiplayer on separate (big) screens.

#13 Tony Bradshaw

Tony Bradshaw

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:10 AM

Interesting hoping for new features from the hdmi port that we havent thought of

Posted Image
For all the latest Wii U News: http://wiiuupdates.com/

#14 Oni-Link

Oni-Link

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • Fandom:
    Phantasy star,Kingdom hearts,pokemon,Loz

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

Who knows. hope its something good! :)
Posted Image

#15 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:03 PM

The only thing that really makes sense is hooking it up to a different TV for wireless multiplayer on separate (big) screens.

Aye thats what I figured, could be nice tbh, or some local co-op games.

#16 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:54 PM

There is only one problem here, its clearly NOT an HDMI port, it looks nothing like one.
mini-hdmi-port.jpg hdmi-port-type-a.jpg WiiU-controller-port.jpg

Its still very interesting they included a port there at all though. Its not for charging, as you can clearly see charging pads either side of it. So it still has potential to be something interesting.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 24 June 2011 - 05:13 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#17 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:11 AM

There is only one problem here, its clearly NOT an HDMI port, it looks nothing like one.
mini-hdmi-port.jpg hdmi-port-type-a.jpg WiiU-controller-port.jpg

Its still very interesting they included a port there at all though. Its not for charging, as you can clearly see charging pads either side of it. So it still has potential to be something interesting.

Believe it or not, that just convinces me more that it is a HDMI port.

If it's not a HDMI, why would they model is so much like one.

Edited by Dementis, 25 June 2011 - 12:14 AM.

#18 SurrealLimit

SurrealLimit

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:18 PM

it was probably used just so they could get a direct video feed of what was on the screen for the demos at e3. May not even be in the final product. whether its an HDMI doesnt look like one to me.

#19 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:57 PM

it was probably used just so they could get a direct video feed of what was on the screen for the demos at e3.

It's not. They had a separate wire for that.

#20 giggity3000

giggity3000

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

Mabye they plan on making an add-on and when the console is upgraded it needs to plug something into the controler. Idk alright, i'm not that good with technology

1367065580450s.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!