#21 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

There is only one problem here, its clearly NOT an HDMI port, it looks nothing like one.

Its still very interesting they included a port there at all though. Its not for charging, as you can clearly see charging pads either side of it. So it still has potential to be something interesting.

The controller does have a HDMI port though. Nintendo said this in their E3 press release:

Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.

As for the image you posted, I don't know whether or not that is the HDMI port, but if it isn't, it could still be used for charging. If you look at the 3DS, there is a port with two similar charging pads on either side. Nintendo could bundle a cradle for the controller with the Wii U as an option for charging it.

3ds.png

#22 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:04 PM

The controller does have a HDMI port though. Nintendo said this in their E3 press release:

Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.

The only time I saw that mentioned is talking about what the Wii U will support. Basically everything the Wii can plus HDMI, which we could have guessed from looking at the back of the Wii U console anyway as it seems identical to the Wii other than the HDMI port.

Sadly it seems not S/PDIF, although games like Starfox Adventures using only Pro Logic II over stereo sounded just as good as Dolby Digital to me, so its not the end of the world.

As for the image you posted, I don't know whether or not that is the HDMI port, but if it isn't, it could still be used for charging. If you look at the 3DS, there is a port with two similar charging pads on either side. Nintendo could bundle a cradle for the controller with the Wii U as an option for charging it.

Yes, that port MIGHT be used for charging but why bother when it has a DC socket in the top of the controller already? Also, the port has a LOT of contacts which would not be necessary JUST for charging.

Believe it or not, that just convinces me more that it is a HDMI port.

If it's not a HDMI, why would they model is so much like one.

Interesting logic, the fact it clearly ISN'T an HDMI convinced you that it is?

Why does it looks similar? Well I don't think it does. In fact a micro USB port looks far more similar to a micro HDMI port, than this does to an HDMI port.

That said, many ports are similar because the most efficient port design has been refined over years and you have to keep them just different enough to avoid people plugging things in that are not designed to be there. Old fashioned ports used pins, we have moved on from that because sliding contact ports take up less space and (theoretically) are more reliable.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 29 June 2011 - 05:57 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#23 Tony Bradshaw

Tony Bradshaw

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:23 PM

Or what about playing another Wii U on your Wii U controller?!

Posted Image

lol love xzibit memes

Posted Image
For all the latest Wii U News: http://wiiuupdates.com/

#24 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

Clearly THIS is what that port is for:
Posted Image

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#25 giggity3000

giggity3000

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

Clearly THIS is what that port is for:
Posted Image

Dang you beat me to it.

1367065580450s.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users