Photo

"Wii U's GPGPU Squashes Xbox 360, PS3;Capable Of DirectX 11 Equivalent Graphics"

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 Stormage09

Stormage09

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dexter, Walking Dead

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:49 AM

I dont know what to think about this

http://www.cinemable...hics-47126.html
Posted Image

#2 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:09 AM

I'm not sure either, he doesn't really say its gonna crush Xbox and PS3, that was more of the writers perspective. If it is true though, we'll, good for Nintendo!
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#3 thehappening

thehappening

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:20 AM

well thats obvious the gpu its based on is at least dx 10.1 and with the customization and the bandwidth offerd by edram its sure to do that level but please remember dx 11 is a api its not graphics power its a interface middleware standard nothing more nothing less

a dx11 tablet gpu cannot do a dx 9 level graphics in a dask top gpu dont read to much into a interface software

#4 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

I guess it's good news.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#5 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:17 AM

Again a gpu has a feature set and it has a performance level. We know the wii u gpu has a superior feature set to 360 and ps3. We are fairly sure the wii u has 32 megabytes of dedicated high speed video memory which allows 1080p to be achieved much more easily. What we don't know is the performance level of the gpu. How much it can render and texture compared to other gpus. I would say the current assesement of the wii u is a console with superior gpu and memory but likely weaker cpu performance but we really don't know for sure. I'm still going with my overall 2x performance figure over ps3/360 but understand some cpu intensive games may be harder to achieve on wii u but most games don't have such high cpu requirements. Some games that have cpu intensive graphic routines may be reduced on wii u but then other features will be enhanced. I think if you are expecting the wii u to outperform the 360/PS3 in all areas you may be disappointed.

#6 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:30 AM

lol, its going to be pretty hard to have a crappier real world cpu performance than the ps3/360.

They were good at highly optimized simd loops and sucked balls at anything else.

Had lousy branch prediction, and a KILLER 500 cycle penalty for a taken branch, and even WORSE penalties for running out of cache and falling on a call to main.

Its funny, devs complained CONSTANTLY about the xenon (and thus cell).... All the way up till the wii was known.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#7 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

POPULAR

:o an 8th generation console being more powerful than a 7th generation one?!
WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!?!??!?!

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#8 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

Meanwhile in an alternate universe...
If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#9 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

lol, its going to be pretty hard to have a crappier real world cpu performance than the ps3/360.

They were good at highly optimized simd loops and sucked balls at anything else.

Had lousy branch prediction, and a KILLER 500 cycle penalty for a taken branch, and even WORSE penalties for running out of cache and falling on a call to main.

Its funny, devs complained CONSTANTLY about the xenon (and thus cell).... All the way up till the wii was known.

Errrr.... this has actually been widely reported and some wii u conversions are already reported to be missing cpu intensive features compared to 360/PS3!

Its not just a question of architecture but of actual speed the cpu is run at in mhz.

Not forgetting the wii compatibility issue that may require at least one cpu core to be configured for wii mode.

I'm certainly hopeing the cpu will be more powerful than current gen but thats not what is being reported. If the rumoured 1.6ghz speed is true it will need to be a much improved architecture and not that enhanced broadway x3 rumour.

#10 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

Again a gpu has a feature set and it has a performance level. We know the wii u gpu has a superior feature set to 360 and ps3. We are fairly sure the wii u has 32 megabytes of dedicated high speed video memory which allows 1080p to be achieved much more easily. What we don't know is the performance level of the gpu. How much it can render and texture compared to other gpus. I would say the current assesement of the wii u is a console with superior gpu and memory but likely weaker cpu performance but we really don't know for sure. I'm still going with my overall 2x performance figure over ps3/360 but understand some cpu intensive games may be harder to achieve on wii u but most games don't have such high cpu requirements. Some games that have cpu intensive graphic routines may be reduced on wii u but then other features will be enhanced. I think if you are expecting the wii u to outperform the 360/PS3 in all areas you may be disappointed.

Errrr.... this has actually been widely reported and some wii u conversions are already reported to be missing cpu intensive features compared to 360/PS3!

Its not just a question of architecture but of actual speed the cpu is run at in mhz.

Not forgetting the wii compatibility issue that may require at least one cpu core to be configured for wii mode.

I'm certainly hopeing the cpu will be more powerful than current gen but thats not what is being reported. If the rumoured 1.6ghz speed is true it will need to be a much improved architecture and not that enhanced broadway x3 rumour.

LOL

Tekken guy misrepresented again... that sure got a lot of mileage

Edited by Socalmuscle, 20 September 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

Actually NOTHING you have said is REMOTELY true.

NO clock speed has been reported, the closest thing reported was the tekken producer saying it was clocked slightly slower than ps3/360. I dont think half the clock speed qualifies as 'slightly lower'.

NO cpu intensive features have been dropped from ANY game with weak cpu being given as a reason.

And in pre-emptiveness of the bs i already know you are going to try and pull, both fifa and madden teams have stated tge missing ai and physics were not included because of time constraints. They explucitely stated in their interviews they chose gamepad specific modes as a higher priority over something far less.notable as fifas attack intelligence.
"
Touching again on the theme of directing limited resources to a wide set of
possible uses, Prior detailed how developing the Wii U version of the game
required covering more ground than on the other consoles.
"With new hardware, one of the challenges is—unlike PS3 and 360, where
you've got a game, it's finished, it's done, and you build on top of it next year—
we don't have a game. So we have to build that foundation, and just like building
anything, you need a solid foundation that's stable on which to build."
This is the reason some new features in FIFA 13 found on the Xbox 360 and PS3
won't make it to the Wii U version, despite the new console's better graphical
fidelity."

THIS is why things like attack intelligence, fifa unity mode etc. arent in the wii u version.

But nice try.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 MrMonopolyguy13

MrMonopolyguy13

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

I think people are stuck on the whole "Wii= Underpowered" debacle. Just because it has Wii in the name doesn't mean it's underpowered and behind competitors. Nintendo know what they are doing they have done there research and have design there console around modern tech.

#13 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

You should give a source if you're going to claim something. It will make it much more believable.

And don't reply with something along the lines of "Use your search engine", as I have dealt with that many of times. All ended up being people who follow rumors.

Posted Image

#14 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

You should give a source if you're going to claim something. It will make it much more believable.

And don't reply with something along the lines of "Use your search engine", as I have dealt with that many of times. All ended up being people who follow rumors.

dude is literally a broken record.

Every post follows the same theme:

1) Express a love for Nintendo and its products.

2) Pretend to "Keep it real" by not expecting anything truly good from Nintendo, while at the same time expecting greatness from anyone not named Nintendo.

3) Settle on the idea that it's OK to love Nintendo even thought there is really no good reason to do so (i.e: the whole "It's Zelda! Who cares if it looks like garbage!" Trojan Horse argument) - all the while trying to sound like the noble guy protecting people from getting their hopes up (despite confirmed Power7, 2GB RAM, etc.)

Rinse, lather, repeat.

The Wii U isn't an overpowered, super crazy console. but it is noticeably more powerful than current in every way than the current gen. It is a true next gen console that will compete well with new systems released by its competitors. This will not be a wii vs 360 situation. Not even close.

And just like the 360 didn't show its chops for about a year, the same thing is to be expected with Wii U - and for the same reasons.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 21 September 2012 - 12:11 PM.

#15 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

dude is literally a broken record.

Every post follows the same theme:

1) Express a love for Nintendo and its products.

2) Pretend to "Keep it real" by not expecting anything truly good from Nintendo, while at the same time expecting greatness from anyone not named Nintendo.

3) Settle on the idea that it's OK to love Nintendo even thought there is really no good reason to do so (i.e: the whole "It's Zelda! Who cares if it looks like garbage!" Trojan Horse argument) - all the while trying to sound like the noble guy protecting people from getting their hopes up (despite confirmed Power7, 2GB RAM, etc.)

Rinse, lather, repeat.

The Wii U isn't an overpowered, super crazy console. but it is noticeably more powerful than current in every way than the current gen. It is a true next gen console that will compete well with new systems released by its competitors. This will not be a wii vs 360 situation. Not even close.

And just like the 360 didn't show its chops for about a year, the same thing is to be expected with Wii U - and for the same reasons.

Look at the 360 launch lineup. Not one of them looks even remotely close to Skyrim. I love how most people assume 100% of the power is being used at the beginning of the console's life.

Posted Image

#16 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

Look at the 360 launch lineup. Not one of them looks even remotely close to Skyrim. I love how most people assume 100% of the power is being used at the beginning of the console's life.

Exactly! It's good to know that I'm not alone :D

And thank God we won't have another Wii situation with multiplats. We might as well get ourselves m any more [timed or not] exclusive next gen games like Bayonetta 2 until the other consoles show up.

Posted Image

#17 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

Exactly! It's good to know that I'm not alone :D

And thank God we won't have another Wii situation with multiplats. We might as well get ourselves m any more [timed or not] exclusive next gen games like Bayonetta 2 until the other consoles show up.

Considering that Nintendo has pretty much funded half of Bayonetta 2's development, I'd say the chances are very slim of it being on PS4 or the 720. I get what you're saying, but I just thought I'd point it out.
Posted Image

#18 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

Considering that Nintendo has pretty much funded half of Bayonetta 2's development, I'd say the chances are very slim of it being on PS4 or the 720. I get what you're saying, but I just thought I'd point it out.

Of course! Especially considering that Bayonetta 2 will probably use the Gamepad a lot, that experience can't be replicated on other platforms, unless...

PS4 and 720 have a controller just like the Gamepad... but MS/Sony would never do that... right?

(P.S.: Bayonetta 2's publishing rights belong to Nintendo now so no, it can't be on other platforms unless Nintendo authorizes it)

Edited by Arkhandar, 21 September 2012 - 02:15 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

Finally someone who realises. Look at the game Gun.. looks like a GC game.
No sig.

#20 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

LOL standing ovation for that very well performed sarcasm! :D
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!