Photo

"Wii U's GPGPU Squashes Xbox 360, PS3;Capable Of DirectX 11 Equivalent Graphics"

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Finally someone who realises. Look at the game Gun.. looks like a GC game.

All Xbox 360 launch titles looked like GCN games.

that's the point.

It wasn't for a year that a great dev (Epic) had enough time with the final console build and optimized Unreal 3 Engine that they could really show what the system could do. Before that, the games looked like GCN or Xbox games. The one game that showed a hint of potential was the King Kong game. Even Halo 3 looked like Halo 2 on xbox.

the Wii U was finalized far later in the game than the 360 was, so the studios went with the lowest common denominator, which is the wise thing to do, otherwise you risk a surprise at the end, which could break your entire game, forcing a rushed downgrade or causing you to miss launch. but the real story is the ports. there are a lot. and they all are basically no different than the current gen games. Port are quick ways to make money. and even they look better than the current gen for which they were optimized.

There is literally NO game in the launch window that has been procedurally, specifically built from the ground up, ambitiously aiming to showcase the consoles hardware. None.

That will change in one year. And that is quite normal.

If this were MS or Sony, people would say "Wow! Look at that! Power7! that's insane! They can take over the universe with that! 2 GB RAM! that's more than you will ever need for a game! It's so powerful, it can drive 3 screens at once - and one is even at 1080P!" etc.

But it's Nintendo, so people automatically think it can't be that great, even when the hardware is staring them in the face.

One year. that's the difference between Kameo and Gears of War. You'll see the same thing with Wii U.

#22 00stevo

00stevo

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Fandom:
    Resi,Halo,Metroid,Mario

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

Yeah i was actually shocked at the gfx of 360 games,apart from gears of war which looked amazing.

If Wii-U is putting out 1080p60 versions of games out now,ive got very very high hopes for it. In fact i dont have to hope,i will wait impatiently for it to make 360 and ps3 look stupid. I think Bayonetta 2 will make DMC look very average. Lets wait and see.

#23 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

Finally someone who realises. Look at the game Gun.. looks like a GC game.

The Uncharted series is a WONDERFUL example of console power.

Posted Image

#24 parallaxscroll

parallaxscroll

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

Again a gpu has a feature set and it has a performance level. We know the wii u gpu has a superior feature set to 360 and ps3. We are fairly sure the wii u has 32 megabytes of dedicated high speed video memory which allows 1080p to be achieved much more easily. What we don't know is the performance level of the gpu. How much it can render and texture compared to other gpus. I would say the current assesement of the wii u is a console with superior gpu and memory but likely weaker cpu performance but we really don't know for sure. I'm still going with my overall 2x performance figure over ps3/360 but understand some cpu intensive games may be harder to achieve on wii u but most games don't have such high cpu requirements. Some games that have cpu intensive graphic routines may be reduced on wii u but then other features will be enhanced. I think if you are expecting the wii u to outperform the 360/PS3 in all areas you may be disappointed.

I sure hope the Wii U has 32 megabytes of high speed (embedded) memory. That would be more than triple what the Xbox 360 has (10 megabytes).

#25 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

I sure hope the Wii U has 32 megabytes of high speed (embedded) memory. That would be more than triple what the Xbox 360 has (10 megabytes).

It's looking to be around 3-4x more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Posted Image

#26 parallaxscroll

parallaxscroll

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

It's looking to be around 3-4x more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3.

I've heard anywhere from 1.5-2x more powerful on the low-end to 4-5x more powerful on the high-end.

I suspect it's somewhere in the middle, which would still be a very nice bump in power over the current HD consoles.

#27 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

I've heard anywhere from 1.5-2x more powerful on the low-end to 4-5x more powerful on the high-end.

I suspect it's somewhere in the middle, which would still be a very nice bump in power over the current HD consoles.

Yep. It will be able to compete WAY better than the Wii.

Edited by DR4G0NB0RN, 21 September 2012 - 10:31 PM.

Posted Image

#28 parallaxscroll

parallaxscroll

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:35 PM

Cannot wait for Wii U, and I'm saying this not as a Nintendo fan, but as a SEGA fan.

I grew up on SEGA, not Nintendo. I'm really excited about Wii U.

#29 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

All Xbox 360 launch titles looked like GCN games.

that's the point.

It wasn't for a year that a great dev (Epic) had enough time with the final console build and optimized Unreal 3 Engine that they could really show what the system could do. Before that, the games looked like GCN or Xbox games. The one game that showed a hint of potential was the King Kong game. Even Halo 3 looked like Halo 2 on xbox.

the Wii U was finalized far later in the game than the 360 was, so the studios went with the lowest common denominator, which is the wise thing to do, otherwise you risk a surprise at the end, which could break your entire game, forcing a rushed downgrade or causing you to miss launch. but the real story is the ports. there are a lot. and they all are basically no different than the current gen games. Port are quick ways to make money. and even they look better than the current gen for which they were optimized.

There is literally NO game in the launch window that has been procedurally, specifically built from the ground up, ambitiously aiming to showcase the consoles hardware. None.

That will change in one year. And that is quite normal.

If this were MS or Sony, people would say "Wow! Look at that! Power7! that's insane! They can take over the universe with that! 2 GB RAM! that's more than you will ever need for a game! It's so powerful, it can drive 3 screens at once - and one is even at 1080P!" etc.

But it's Nintendo, so people automatically think it can't be that great, even when the hardware is staring them in the face.

One year. that's the difference between Kameo and Gears of War. You'll see the same thing with Wii U.

I agree with everything you said, but COD 2 showed obvious improvements.
No sig.

#30 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

Cannot wait for Wii U, and I'm saying this not as a Nintendo fan, but as a SEGA fan.

I grew up on SEGA, not Nintendo. I'm really excited about Wii U.

That's obvious by your Genesis inspired username. Lol

#31 parallaxscroll

parallaxscroll

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

That's obvious by your Genesis inspired username. Lol

LOL. It is, isn't it :D

#32 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

I agree with everything you said, but COD 2 showed obvious improvements.

True but the original wasn't exactly a graphical showcase on gcn or xbox. There was no where to go but up for the sequel.

You look at halo 2 which was a good looking xbox game and compare to halo 3. Not much difference. some things have a few more polls, slightly better lighting, a little "shinier" but overrall, it looks like halo 2.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 21 September 2012 - 11:06 PM.

#33 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:39 AM

If you want a sneak peak what the true power of the Wii U just take a look of the best two tech demos on E3 2011.

Those were completely beautiful and they couldn't even be replicated on current gen platforms. And remember that they ran on early/prototype hardware and were still able to achieve that. The amount of things happening on the screen at the same time is simply amazing.

For those of you who didn't get a chance to see them, take a look:

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#34 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

If you want a sneak peak what the true power of the Wii U just take a look of the best two tech demos on E3 2011.

Those were completely beautiful and they couldn't even be replicated on current gen platforms. And remember that they ran on early/prototype hardware and were still able to achieve that. The amount of things happening on the screen at the same time is simply amazing.

For those of you who didn't get a chance to see them, take a look:

The Zelda demo always amazes me. It's just breathtaking. I always forget how good the bird demo looks, too. Knowing these are IN-GAME graphics, I'm really content with the Wii Us power, especialy knowing these were quickly made games, without the developers having even the slightest experience with the console. While there is nearly no doubt in MY mind that the other next gen consoles might run all over this, I'm still really contend with it. These are next-gen graphics, even if it's not what people hoped it to be (aka, some huge quantum leap). Add the fact that the Wii U can produce graphics in 1080p/60FPS AND on two screens, and there is very few needs to worry.
No sig.

#35 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Those demos are good for being quickly put together and being on weaker hardware.

But they don't represent the full capabilities of the system at all.

The garden demo looked like an upscaled Japanese skyrim. That's a good thing.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 22 September 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#36 parallaxscroll

parallaxscroll

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

Those demos are good for being quickly put together and being on weaker hardware.

But they don't represent the full capabilities of the system at all.

The garden demo looked like an upscaled Japanese skyrim. That's a good thing.

I agree.

#37 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

The Zelda demo always amazes me. It's just breathtaking. I always forget how good the bird demo looks, too. Knowing these are IN-GAME graphics, I'm really content with the Wii Us power, especialy knowing these were quickly made games, without the developers having even the slightest experience with the console. While there is nearly no doubt in MY mind that the other next gen consoles might run all over this, I'm still really contend with it. These are next-gen graphics, even if it's not what people hoped it to be (aka, some huge quantum leap). Add the fact that the Wii U can produce graphics in 1080p/60FPS AND on two screens, and there is very few needs to worry.

totally agree.i would be happy myself with the zelda demo in 1080p 60 fps if all wii u games were that great looking im ok. im not the biggest unreal engine fan or supporter... but i would like to see the samaritan demo level graphics on the wii u that would be great also. I swear if nintendo switches the artstyle for zelda wii u and doesnt use the one in the hd demo.... you guys will see a grown man cry and throw a tantrum on the internet.

Edited by TRON, 22 September 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#38 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

totally agree.i would be happy myself with the zelda demo in 1080p 60 fps if all wii u games were that great looking im ok. im not the biggest unreal engine fan or supporter... but i would like to see the samaritan demo level graphics on the wii u that would be great also. I swear if nintendo switches the artstyle for zelda wii u and doesnt use the one in the hd demo.... you guys will see a grown man cry and throw a tantrum on the internet.

I'm pretty sure we will see a Zelda that graphically eclipses that demo. With a more realistic art style but with a character that doesn't just look like a highly detailed crysis or unreal game.

The cryengine has hit the wall on 360/ps3 because it is do ambitious. It's apparently amazing on the wii u.

The Zelda demo was not all that great in reality. If it was gears 4 or something we wouldn't be that impressed. It's just because we've never seen link like that. But the wiiu will exceed that.

The things to take from the Zelda demo are the amazing lighting and crisp picture. The polygon count wasn't crazy and the textures were very good. But not amazing or anything.

Nothing taxes the system currently.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 22 September 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#39 parallaxscroll

parallaxscroll

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

Wii U is certainly capable of 1080p graphics however most games are going to be 720p and that's just fine by me.

#40 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:29 PM

I'm pretty sure we will see a Zelda that graphically eclipses that demo. With a more realistic art style but with a character that doesn't just look like a highly detailed crysis or unreal game.

The cryengine has hit the wall on 360/ps3 because it is do ambitious. It's apparently amazing on the wii u.

The Zelda demo was not all that great in reality. If it was gears 4 or something we wouldn't be that impressed. It's just because we've never seen link like that. But the wiiu will exceed that.

The things to take from the Zelda demo are the amazing lighting and crisp picture. The polygon count wasn't crazy and the textures were very good. But not amazing or anything.

Nothing taxes the system currently.

it looked amazing to me. the thing about nintendo is their artstyle. their games (mark my words) will look just as good as sony and microsoft next gen titles because they have amazing artstyle. pair artstyle with solid CPU and modern arichtecture GPU and our jaws as soon going to be hitting the floor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!