#1 Stormage09

Stormage09

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dexter, Walking Dead

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:34 AM

Apparently a guy who mailed amd to ask about the wii u's gpu got this response...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Features & Benefits
GPU and memory in one MCM BGA package
Desktop level graphics, multimedia and compute capabilities
480 shader processors
128-bit memory interface with 1 GB GDDR5
Microsoft® DirectX® 11 support
Third generation unified video decoder
Support for H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2/4 decode
Dual HD decode, Blu-ray & stereo 3D
Up to 6 displays with AMD Eyefinity1 technology
AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP)2 technology for supercomputing capabilities
5 year supply with dedicated support3

source:

http://zonaforo.meristation.com/foros/viewtopic.php?t=1990125&sid=
Posted Image

#2 Ravyu

Ravyu

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Batman, Link and NINTENDO

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:37 AM

I was expecting this.. Appeared many times in the rumour thingy.
A rare 12 Year Old that thinks Nintendo is godly.
PC Specs- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hUYw

#3 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:20 AM

Nintengen.com was the first website to speculate this and they probably nailed it.

Let's hope that we don't find out that this fake or rolled back by AMD in the near future (like IBM Watson's twitter feed and that Power PC/Power 7 novel happening here in the forums)
If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#4 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:22 AM

Not bad I say. For a console this GPU would work wonders.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#5 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:27 AM

"Delivering 576 GFLOPs of peak single precision floating point performance, the AMD Radeonâ„¢ E6760 GPU is ideal for general purpose, graphics processing unit (GPGPU)" - Spec Sheet

The E6760 is a GPGPU... which means that this is yet more proof that this chip is the one inside Wii U.

And the good news is that it's roughly 3x more powerful than PS360. Not a full generation leap, but we were all expecting this.

Posted Image

#6 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:40 AM

"Delivering 576 GFLOPs of peak single precision floating point performance, the AMD Radeonâ„¢ E6760 GPU is ideal for general purpose, graphics processing unit (GPGPU)" - Spec Sheet

The E6760 is a GPGPU... which means that this is yet more proof that this chip is the one inside Wii U.

And the good news is that it's roughly 3x more powerful than PS360. Not a full generation leap, but we were all expecting this.

Any GPU release in the last few years is a GPGPU.

Not going against this, just pointing it out. I am opening my arms to this rumour, I know someone else posted their speculation, and looks like it was true.

#7 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

If this is true coupled with a true power 7 multicore CPU... Wii U will easily be able to keep up with ps4 and 720. The difference will be like what you saw this gen with ps360 1st party titles. Ps4 and 720 will outshine wii u but wii u should easily get multiplatform ports with this setup

#8 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

Well now, lookie here.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#9 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

If this is true coupled with a true power 7 multicore CPU... Wii U will easily be able to keep up with ps4 and 720. The difference will be like what you saw this gen with ps360 1st party titles. Ps4 and 720 will outshine wii u but wii u should easily get multiplatform ports with this setup

But keep in mind that it's customized, and while I'm not a big tech guy, I don't think it necissarily means something good. But it sounds not bad at all.
No sig.

#10 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Forza, Gears of War

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

Everything in the technical specs seems to line up with the details Nintendo has publicly announced or said in official interviews. 1GB dedicated VRAM, 3D capabilities (play games in 3D if you have a 3D TV - the Wii U uses HDMI instead of proprietary connector.. definitely looking solid), low TDP to be "green", and 40nm fabrication sounds 100% spot on given the time the Wii U was being developed. If this is all correct, the Wii U will not have any problem running the same games as the PS4/720 ... the main problem will be getting developers to utilize the GamePad, which is going to require extra time and energy for one console specific functionality. If the Wii U just uses the wand still, the only difference between it and the Wii is the graphics. If all you want is better graphics, undoubtedly you'll want the PS4 or 720. I love Nintendo but the Xbox 360 is my favorite console. I want the Wii U to get great games and utilize the GamePad which sets it apart from all the other consoles, and I hope it's not too much to ask from game developers to actually make it happen.

I need a reason to play the Wii U over the 360/720 (I hate the PS3 controller and psn so I traded in my PS3 towards the Wii U), graphics being better is great and all but we NEED less shovelware, every AAA game (and a high percentage of "good" games) to use the GamePad, a gamertag-esque system, and some GOOD exclusives.
Posted Image

#11 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:08 AM

But keep in mind that it's customized, and while I'm not a big tech guy, I don't think it necissarily means something good. But it sounds not bad at all.

Even better. I can't wait to see faces and meltdowns when wii u gets same games as 720 and ps4

#12 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

If these are the specs then What's with all these reports that it only supports dx10?
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#13 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Forza, Gears of War

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

If these are the specs then What's with all these reports that it only supports dx10?

There's been no official confirmation that it doesn't support DX11, nor affirmation that it does. At this point, since DX11 was released in late 2009, I'm inclined to believe it does.

Edited by bornsupercharged, 21 September 2012 - 08:46 AM.

Posted Image

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

It would be pretty hilarious if this turns out to be real and not a faked email.

It would be pretty hilarious if this turns out to be real and not a faked email.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

Hey, let's all calm down a bit here.

If Sony comes up with a 3 TFLOPS GPU for PS4 the Wii U is going to be severely under powered. We're talking a 5x time difference in horsepower here.

But yes, most games could be ported down to the Wii U by just removing some heavy load visual features (like particles, lightning, tesselation, etc.) since its GPU already has the most recent feature set, but I don't really see a big open world game like "TES VI" being ported down to the Wii U unless it sells really really well on the system.

Don't forget that this isn't out of the realm of possibility since that Unreal Engine 4 demo used 3 TFLOPS peak performance.

Edited by Arkhandar, 21 September 2012 - 09:36 AM.

Posted Image

#16 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

My old graphics card ran DX9 perfectly at 30FPS at 1080p, but only run DX10 games at 15FPS at 1080p. However it technically supported DX10 on the box because at 720p it could run DX10 at around 30FPS with a little help with turning some effects off.

I presume the Wii U will support the OpenGL (DX10.1) 3.2 at 1080p at 30FPS (720p at 60FPS). However will only support OpenGL 4.1 (DX11) at 15/20FPS at 1080p, and 25 - 30FPS at 720p.

Edited by Penguin101, 21 September 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#17 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

My old graphics card ran DX9 perfectly at 30FPS at 1080p, but only run DX10 games at 15FPS at 1080p. However it technically supported DX10 on the box because at 720p it could run DX10 at around 30FPS with a little help with turning some effects off.

I presume the Wii U will support the OpenGL (DX10.1) 3.2 at 1080p at 30FPS (720p at 60FPS). However will only support OpenGL 4.1 (DX11) at 15/20FPS at 1080p, and 25 - 30FPS at 720p.

DirectX is just an API, which means it has nothing to do with FPS. How the developer uses that API and its feature set is what's going to influence the amount of FPS.

Posted Image

#18 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

Hey, let's all calm down a bit here.

If Sony comes up with a 3 TFLOPS GPU for PS4 the Wii U is going to be severely under powered. We're talking a 5x time difference in horsepower here.

But yes, most games could be ported down to the Wii U by just removing some heavy load visual features (like particles, lightning, tesselation, etc.) since its GPU already has the most recent feature set, but I don't really see a big open world game like "TES VI" being ported down to the Wii U unless it sells really really well on the system.

Don't forget that this isn't out of the realm of possibility since that Unreal Engine 4 demo used 3 TFLOPS peak performance.

I will put all the money I ever make on that not happening. Please don't set yourself up to think that's going to happen. Like the delusional people out there thinking ps4 is going to support 4k when the first 4k tv were just released for wait for it......25000. Lets be serious here guys.

#19 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

Those aren't reports. Those are trolls.

There is a bit of truth to this hoax without the faked email (with very bad sentence structure - "this is based around the obviously been modified..." what? LOL).

But if you know much about how tech support is run...

There is no way on Earth a tech support staff (the equivalent of the Wal-Mart courtesy desk) would know the detailed inner workings of the Wii U.

aT&T, HP, Verizon, AMD, etc. do not make a habit of training their tech support personal in the knowledge of such things.

Add to that the fact that AMD wouldn't offer support for the Wii U. Nintendo would.

this is a gullibility test.

Not the idea that the GPU (or concepts from it...) is what is indicated.

But the idea that this is a real email.

What is sad is how many people automatically downplay Nintendo power. They just cannot comprehend that the Wii U has good hardware.

Is anyone really going to be surprised by Shader Model 5? By DX 11?

C'mon now.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 21 September 2012 - 11:05 AM.

#20 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

Those aren't reports. Those are trolls.

There is a bit of truth to this hoax without the faked email (with very bad sentence structure - "this is based around the obviously been modified..." what? LOL).

But if you know much about how tech support is run...

There is no way on Earth a tech support staff (the equivalent of the Wal-Mart courtesy desk) would know the detailed inner workings of the Wii U.

aT&T, HP, Verizon, AMD, etc. do not make a habit of training their tech support personal in the knowledge of such things.

Add to that the fact that AMD wouldn't offer support for the Wii U. Nintendo would.

this is a gullibility test.

Not the idea that the GPU (or concepts from it...) is what is indicated.

But the idea that this is a real email.

I'm assuming it is. But rumors are flying all over the internet right now. I just wish Nintendo would reveal the official specs already. I want to know how well this new system could run Zelda! :D

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!