Photo

What graphics processor will the Wii U have?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CapeOfSuperman

CapeOfSuperman

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:16 AM

So far we don't know what gpu will be in the Wii U but it's been rumoured that it’s from the Radeon HD 4000 family of cards. Still wouldn't it make more sense for them to choose a card from the 5000 or 6000 generation of cards instead and get more performance per watt?

I've been doing some digging and looking at numbers for different cards, performance wise and tdp numbers to get an idea of what kind of heat the really fairly small console will be able to handle compared to it's much bigger cousins. Now given that the 360 and PS3 use really old and inefficient gpus there should still be room left to keep the Wii U really powerful but I'm still really interested in what’s in the guts of this new Wii console.

I found the following site to compare the different choices based on what kind of tdp they will generate:
http://www.geeks3d.c...r-tdp-database/

I've looked at the 5770 as a possible choice but it would draw about 108 watts, the 5750 has 86 watts but I doubt the Wii U will be able to handle that kind of heat. The 5670 can probably handle it with its 61 watts.

Looking at the 6000 generation the 6670 makes the most sense it has 66/72 watts of tdp and is one of the most power efficient cards on the market. Check out the following site:
http://www.techpower...HD_6670/23.html

Looking at this site but going back a page gives you “Relative Performance (all resolutions)” and shows that the 5770 is 46% faster and the 5850 is 94% faster then the 6670.

But then I went back to the 4000 generation of cards to take a closer look since this was the gpu generation that was in the very first rumour about the next Nintendo console (all that about 6 inch touchscreen, no multitouch etc, etc). Looking at the 4770 in particular and comparing it to the 5770 which is a pretty decent card (it’s the same gpu that’s in the 6770 for some reason). Take a look at the following site which compares these two cards and remember that the Radeon HD 6850 is only about 30 % faster then the 5770:
http://www.hwcompare...radeon-hd-5770/

( If you don’t believe me about the 6850 only being 30% faster then the 5770 then see this:
http://www.anandtech...duct/296?vs=291 )

So the 4770 has 80 watts tdp, at first I thought the 4770 was on 55nm and that AMD would simply shrink it to 40nm to get some lower temps buts apparently it was 40nm from the beginning.

So what do you think? which route will they go? gpus can most of the time handle much higher temps then cpus so mayby this console can handle much more then I think it can.

(Sorry if you think my post is too long or irrelevant for some reason…)

(Edit1, 1,5 hours later):
I've noticed that the Anandtech link I gave didn't really show what I intended with it - instead view this link that I talked about beforehand:
http://www.techpower...HD_6670/22.html

Doing the calculations the Radeon HD 6850 is about 33% faster then the 5770.

But the most important part I've now realized is a really good alternative to the gpus I've mentioned: the 6790 but it would probably have to be clocked down to get down from its 110-115W tdp. (the tdp number from my first post and that link is in error - it doesn't have 150w tdp).

Maybe if AMD can offer some kind of middle path between the 6670 and the 6790 we could get something really nice, been given this some more thought and since I wrote my first post I actually think that 80w tdp would be the max they could get away with and the new Wii console looks to have increased its size - it's thicker, wider and longer. Plus the pictures show more ventilation holes on the right side so they could get away with it. Seeing as how Apple can throw in 95 watts Core i5 and i7 quad core CPUs in fairly low profile iMacs - Nintendo probably can squeeze in an 80 watt GPU in their next console.

Edited by CapeOfSuperman, 21 June 2011 - 11:23 AM.

#2 Camcam281

Camcam281

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kid icarus, Mario kart, and OoT :)

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:29 PM

Don't know what you just said be ause I can't understand that jumbo jumbo, but hopefully an amazing one!
Posted Image

#3 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

Good to see someone knowledgeable about tech on this board.

I'm no techie, but I know a few things and understood everything you said.

The only thing is you forgot to take price into consideration. Nintendo will not sell at a loss.

From all the rumours we've received so far, I'm expecting one of the high end 4000s (maybe a 4850) that is customized with features of the 5000s (like better tessellation). It would be nice if Nintendo made it support DirectX11 features instead of Direct X 10.1.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be something like a customized 5770 but I'm leaning towards a 4850/4890 right now.

Edited by Play4Fun, 21 June 2011 - 03:17 PM.

You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#4 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

Although I have a limited understanding of all this technical stuff, I hope nintendo puts in the best graphics processor they can while still making a profit like they like to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!