• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

First off, this isn't a generic "which order should I play these in?" This is really just looking for info on which Zeldas are stand alone titles, or at the beginning of a timeline.

I've already played OoT and I know that MM is its sequel. But I'm considering waiting for a remake instead of playing the original. (Unless people think I really need to play it before the rest...) Which causes my problem on figuring out which game I can allow myself to play next.

On hand I have both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Are these unsuitable? (Require another game to be played first because of references or story line?) If they are I'd love suggestions on which games I need to play before them, or which Zeldas are completely standalone. Thanks!

Disclaimer: Yeah, I know it doesn't really matter since most of the games are pretty disconnected but I just hate doing anything out of order. Thanks!
Posted Image

#2 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

Skyward Sword is the first game in the chronological series. Have you played it? I know you have it.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#3 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are stand-alone titles. You'll be able to understand them without much knowledge of the rest of the series. Wind Waker Is also a title on it's own, except for some references to the events of Ocarina of time. The DS games require some knowledge of Wind Waker to fully understand their events. Minish Cap on the GBA is also a stand-alone story (and my favorite 2D game). A Link to the Past also doesn't require any knowledge of other games. And of course Zelda I is a stand alone title, and Zelda II really doesn't need too much of an explanation of the original's events.
Posted Image

#4 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

If you want to play it in the order of the timeline, it goes like this: Skyward Sword --> Minish Cap --> Four Swords --> Ocarina Of Time.

Here it splits into two different timelines: the adult timeline and the child timeline.

The adult timeline is after OoT ends, and Link goes back seven years, forever leaving this timeline. Ganon escapes, and the gods flood the world. Then the games start. They go like this: Wind Waker --> Phantom Hourglass --> Spirit tracks

The child timeline is after Link goes back seven years, before the door of time is opened. He warns everyone about Ganondorf. The games go like this: Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, Four Swords Adventures

the final timeline is purely theoretical, and is if you die against Ganon at the end of OoT. it's basically an escape route of sorts for the devs, as the titles in this timeline don't fit in exceptionally well had they stuck with only two timelines, though many people have tried. This timeline consists only of 2D titles. Here we go: A link to the past --> Oracle of Ages/Seasons --> Link's Awakening --> Zelda 1 --> Zelda 2

But uh.... long story short, go with SS first. It;s the very beginning of the series, chronologically speaking.

#5 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

Play A Link to the Past. it is a great game. It has a sequel called Link's Awakening and to me they are both the best Zelda games out of the whole series.

Don't worry about all the timeline crap out there. I know Nintendo has now created a timeline, but honestly these games weren't meant to have one. Nintendo just made it as a huge fan service since everyone was going crazy and begging Nintendo to release one. And now they are making games with it in mind to make it coincide with the ridiculous timeline they have now. So don't worry about it. For games like OoT/MM and ALttP/LA it's good to play the first one before the other, but even then they don't refer to each other that much.
zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#6 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

From there, though, I'd play MM, then TP. Then I'd go start the adult timeline. And then do whatever, none of the 2D games were made with the timeline in mind.

Play A Link to the Past. it is a great game. It has a sequel called Link's Awakening and to me they are both the best Zelda games out of the whole series.

Don't worry about all the timeline crap out there. I know Nintendo has now created a timeline, but honestly these games weren't meant to have one. Nintendo just made it as a huge fan service since everyone was going crazy and begging Nintendo to release one. And now they are making games with it in mind to make it coincide with the ridiculous timeline they have now. So don't worry about it. For games like OoT/MM and ALttP/LA it's good to play the first one before the other, but even then they don't refer to each other that much.

BOO! the timeline makes everything so much more fun, IMO. connecting all the little pieces online can be almost as fun as playing the games.

#7 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

Don't forget hand held classic like Oracle of Ages/Seasons!
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#8 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

-snip-

Oh, then I might go with SS to save myself the trouble. Can't go wrong with that. ^^;; No I haven't played either SS or TP. They were gifts I left untouched until I finished OoT.

-snip-

Oh I thought TP was part of a timeline? Thanks for the help though. It seems Wind Waker is also safe to play, and the handheld ones after it. So I shouldn't have too much trouble waiting for a new MM. As for the oldies, I have the 3DS Ambassador one but I'm finding it hard to get into. xD

-snip-

Bwah. That's a little hard to follow, the fact that OoT splits into... Three timelines, is it? I'm gonna have to look into that so I understand it better. (Like how does Ganon escape after OoT? IIRC you kill him...) Very informative post though, thanks a lot! I agree I may as well go with SS as I already have it and it's the beginning.

-snip-

It's not that I necessarily want to follow the timeline put together by Nintendo. Usually I like playing games by release order, but because I can't do that, now I have to switch to chronological and dance around MM. I'd really rather play them in Chronological than just in any order. I like recognizing hints and plot elements of past games.

-snip-

Can't play MM though since a remake isn't out yet. D: And other people were nice enough to guide me around that particular gap. So I think I'll be busy until it happens. Which I'm pretty sure it will just to follow up on OoT for the newer gens who never played the originals.

Don't forget hand held classic like Oracle of Ages/Seasons!

I wasn't planning to! I'm unsure about the nes/snes ones but I'll definitely get around to the handheld ones!
---

Thanks everyone for your help! :D
Posted Image

#9 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

Bwah. That's a little hard to follow, the fact that OoT splits into... Three timelines, is it? I'm gonna have to look into that so I understand it better. (Like how does Ganon escape after OoT? IIRC you kill him...) Very informative post though, thanks a lot! I agree I may as well go with SS as I already have it and it's the beginning.

Can't play MM though since a remake isn't out yet. D: And other people were nice enough to guide me around that particular gap. So I think I'll be busy until it happens. Which I'm pretty sure it will just to follow up on OoT for the newer gens who never played the originals.

Actually, Ganondorf is trapped in the sacred realm and vows to kill your descendants. :P

As for MM, it's probably my least favorite of the 3D Zelda games (I still love it though :P) so I wouldn't be in TOO much of a hurry to play it. However, if you can play Skyward Sword you must have a Wii. You can download Majora's Mask on the VC via the Wii Shop channel.

#10 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

Actually, Ganondorf is trapped in the sacred realm and vows to kill your descendants. :P

As for MM, it's probably my least favorite of the 3D Zelda games (I still love it though :P) so I wouldn't be in TOO much of a hurry to play it. However, if you can play Skyward Sword you must have a Wii. You can download Majora's Mask on the VC via the Wii Shop channel.

Whaaaat? Haha it's been a few months since I've beaten it but I didn't think I'd forget that much. Maybe I should watch the end of a let's play :P

MM looks so scary. D: But it's good I don't need to play it right away. I know I can buy it on VC... or ask to borrow my bro's copy and dust off the 64 (or even emu it)... but all those rumours of a MM remake got it in my head that it'll be released soon enough that I'll regret not waiting for the sparkly upgrades. If there's still no talk of it after I've played every game except MM's line then I may give in. xD

Edited by Ixchel, 22 September 2012 - 12:24 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

BOO! the timeline makes everything so much more fun, IMO. connecting all the little pieces online can be almost as fun as playing the games.

Yeah it was fun to do that. Me and my friends would watch videos about it a lot at some point, then come up with our own theories. But that's all they were theories, a fun thing to think about to pass the time.

I think the timeline is the most unnecessary thing created for the Zelda series. We don't need it, never did. It amazes me that they even created one. What does having this timeline do for us? Does it help us understand the story better? No, it hardly does that. It just seems like it was made to shut fans up already. The Zelda series never needed or should have gotten a timeline. It was better when it was all over the place.
zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#12 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

I still need to buy TP and SS. ARGHUAHGFH.

#13 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

I still need to buy TP and SS. ARGHUAHGFH.

O_________________________________________O

#14 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

Play Majora's Mask. It's a wonderfully unique game to play. ;)

Posted Image

#15 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

I'm sure they said they were bringing out an original Zelda title on 3DS before thinking about doing majoras mask.
You should play SS. It is very close to being the best zelda game (OoT just beats it) IMO. The gameplay with motion plus is just amazing.

#16 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:24 AM

Play Majora's Mask. It's a wonderfully unique game to play. ;)

MM isn't required in anyway, shape, or form.. but I would play it just because it is quite a different Zelda game. Other than this, I would follow the suggestions of Andy.

#17 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Calm down and re-play zelda ocarina of time

wjapt2.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Zelda, Order

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!