#21 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:17 AM

I can already see Paper Mario using the Sensor strip with his Hammer.

Dear god, you better not be serious.

#22 logitech

logitech

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:50 AM

I AM CONTRIBUTING, I AM CONTRIBUTING THE REASON WHY YOU ARE WRONG

:RAGE:

Also, are you serious? It's there because even if there are like 2 ideas of what can be done, it's still useful and it's only 2 tiny LEDs so it would be ridiculous not to.

Why are you raging? LOL.

What I'm saying is, instead of telling us our ideas don't work, come up with some of your own, like the TC asked us to do. If all you are going to do is tell everyone here that our ideas don't work, then you aren't really contributing to what the TC wanted us to do.

Also, I don't get why you are asking me if I'm serious. We both know if it's there, it has a function. They aren't going to stick something on the controller without having an idea about how it could used. I don't get why you are telling me using the Wii-remote on the WiiU controller is a bad idea, when Nintendo but the sensor bar there to be used.

Does anyone know if the controller comes with a stand? So that it can act as a secondary display while we play with the Wii-remote?

Edited by logitech, 23 June 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#23 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

Why are you raging? LOL.

What I'm saying is, instead of telling us our ideas don't work, come up with some of your own, like the TC asked us to do. If all you are going to do is tell everyone here that our ideas don't work, then you aren't really contributing to what the TC wanted us to do.

Also, I don't get why you are asking me if I'm serious. We both know if it's there, it has a function. They aren't going to stick something on the controller without having an idea about how it could used. I don't get why you are telling me using the Wii-remote on the WiiU controller is a bad idea, when Nintendo but the sensor bar there to be used.

Does anyone know if the controller comes with a stand? So that it can act as a secondary display while we play with the Wii-remote?

Your ideas are good and make perfect sense. It could be use that way in certain games. Let the imagination roll.

#24 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

Why are you raging? LOL.

Just, think, please. Did you see the distance between the Wiimote and the sensor strip in the only video that shows a use for it? About half a meter. Sensor bar are awkward as hell and I presume that being 40 centimeters closer than that to the screen will mess it up. And just think about it, in most games where you need a game with a Wiimote you probably need to move around (in game) as well. In that case, how do you keep our hand the slide pads when you're holding a Wiimote as well? It'd be awkward to hold with one hand, judging by the size, and it'd be uncomfortable to do it any other way. The Wiimote is big and awkward, sure, in trauma center and such games, it's possible to just hold the Wiimote above the screen like a scalpel... or you could use the stylus which isn't as heavy and awkward to use. The reason I'm not suggesting any possible ideas is because I cannot think of any ideas that I would personally like to use. In an FPS I do not want to point my Wiimote at a Wii U remote, for example.

#25 logitech

logitech

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

Just, think, please. Did you see the distance between the Wiimote and the sensor strip in the only video that shows a use for it? About half a meter. Sensor bar are awkward as hell and I presume that being 40 centimeters closer than that to the screen will mess it up. And just think about it, in most games where you need a game with a Wiimote you probably need to move around (in game) as well. In that case, how do you keep our hand the slide pads when you're holding a Wiimote as well? It'd be awkward to hold with one hand, judging by the size, and it'd be uncomfortable to do it any other way. The Wiimote is big and awkward, sure, in trauma center and such games, it's possible to just hold the Wiimote above the screen like a scalpel... or you could use the stylus which isn't as heavy and awkward to use. The reason I'm not suggesting any possible ideas is because I cannot think of any ideas that I would personally like to use. In an FPS I do not want to point my Wiimote at a Wii U remote, for example.

I agree that most control schemes do seem a bit cumbersome, but I think the WM+ has functionality that just a stylus can't replicate. We don't have to hold the WiiU controller while using the Wii-mote. And we don't really know the minimum distance it could be used from. We need more info in those areas. That's why I'm curious about a stand of some sort for the controller, so that it can act as a "second screen" while we play with WM+ controls. It would be perfect to set it up on a coffee table, for example.

Like Pikmin, or any other RTS, for example, it would be very useful to view two areas at the same time in addition to using pointer controls. Or perhaps the second screen could act as a menu screen. In these type situations, if we are playing with WM+ controls, the sensor strip will allow us to interact directly with both screens. For example, say you are playing an RTS and you have the controller set up to display an interactive mini-map and menu. Instead of scrolling with the pointer on the TV, you could simply point at a place on the mini-map on the controller and quickly move the camera to that location. Or you could quickly produce more units, or set directions, or several other things.

#26 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:41 AM

I agree that most control schemes do seem a bit cumbersome, but I think the WM+ has functionality that just a stylus can't replicate. We don't have to hold the WiiU controller while using the Wii-mote. And we don't really know the minimum distance it could be used from. We need more info in those areas. That's why I'm curious about a stand of some sort for the controller, so that it can act as a "second screen" while we play with WM+ controls. It would be perfect to set it up on a coffee table, for example.

Like Pikmin, or any other RTS, for example, it would be very useful to view two areas at the same time in addition to using pointer controls. Or perhaps the second screen could act as a menu screen. In these type situations, if we are playing with WM+ controls, the sensor strip will allow us to interact directly with both screens. For example, say you are playing an RTS and you have the controller set up to display an interactive mini-map and menu. Instead of scrolling with the pointer on the TV, you could simply point at a place on the mini-map on the controller and quickly move the camera to that location. Or you could quickly produce more units, or set directions, or several other things.

Don't say that I'm not contributing, but why not just tap the location? It's just that it'd be awkward to me. Also, the main reason I was talking about the distance with Wiimotes is that there is no way whatsoever that it'll work with the Wiimote directly over it.

You know what could be cool though? If it also includes the Wiimote tech in the sensor so instead of the Wiimote being the only input, there could be a little LED on the end of the stylus so it could also use a depth sensor. It probably wouldn't work (The amount of time the battery would last would be a nightmare), but I think it'd be pretty cool.

#27 logitech

logitech

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:56 AM

Don't say that I'm not contributing, but why not just tap the location? It's just that it'd be awkward to me. Also, the main reason I was talking about the distance with Wiimotes is that there is no way whatsoever that it'll work with the Wiimote directly over it.

You know what could be cool though? If it also includes the Wiimote tech in the sensor so instead of the Wiimote being the only input, there could be a little LED on the end of the stylus so it could also use a depth sensor. It probably wouldn't work (The amount of time the battery would last would be a nightmare), but I think it'd be pretty cool.

Well, my idea would have you controlling everything with the WM+, so tapping the screen wouldn't be very efficient, since you have to take you hand off the controller. I'm sure they could program it to work with touch as well, though, if you would prefer to control the game with only the WiiU pad.

I see your point about the distance problem. However, the sensor bar on the WiiU controller is significantly smaller than the regular one, so I think that may allow us to get closer. How much closer,though, we will just have to see.

Edited by logitech, 24 June 2011 - 10:56 AM.

#28 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:39 AM

Well, my idea would have you controlling everything with the WM+, so tapping the screen wouldn't be very efficient, since you have to take you hand off the controller. I'm sure they could program it to work with touch as well, though, if you would prefer to control the game with only the WiiU pad.

I see your point about the distance problem. However, the sensor bar on the WiiU controller is significantly smaller than the regular one, so I think that may allow us to get closer. How much closer,though, we will just have to see.

Yeah, I know, but if the wiimote is too close to the screen, and the sensor bar is above it, then it won't work and that could affect it.

But is your idea basically using pointer controls? Or the motion? If it's pointer you could always use the double slide pads.

#29 logitech

logitech

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

Yeah, I know, but if the wiimote is too close to the screen, and the sensor bar is above it, then it won't work and that could affect it.

But is your idea basically using pointer controls? Or the motion? If it's pointer you could always use the double slide pads.

Yea, the idea for the RTS is to use pointer controls, since I think they are more precise than dual analog controls for RTS games. The cool thing is that, if they program it right, people can pick between two very different control styles. People will be able to choose what feels more natural to them.

#30 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

Isn't there some sort of rule against threads with only two real contributors? Seems like back and forth posts are a rather inefficient way of having an argument of this nature...

As for the topic, it has been suggested in the past that the sensor strip could replace the separate sensor bar if you were, say, wanting to bring your WiiU over to your friend's house and play some games with only the wiimotes. I admit that having fewer wires is appealing, but this seems like a pretty limited application. I suppose that it makes sense as a simple perk (being that, as others have said, it's just a matter of a couple of LEDs)... I guess we'll have to wait to see.

#31 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

Isn't there some sort of rule against threads with only two real contributors? Seems like back and forth posts are a rather inefficient way of having an argument of this nature...

If there is such a rule then it is ridiculous because it's not our fault that we're the only ones here. We're just lonely D;

#32 logitech

logitech

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:21 PM

If there is such a rule then it is ridiculous because it's not our fault that we're the only ones here. We're just lonely D;

I agree. At least Dementis and I care enough to post. We can't help it if no one else feels like posting.

What did you expect us to do? Just quit posting because it was only us two? Bring some friends and let's make it a party! :D

#33 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

It looks like the WiiU controller is designed to be dockable, notice the two charging pads either side of the connector plus the molded sockets that would seem to be for the dock to hold the WiiU controller upright. So totally possible that it might work with the Wiimote.

However it looks like only the camera is under that strip, surely if there were LEDs they would have shown up in the third photo?
screenshot_256934.jpg screenshot_256933.jpg screenshot_256931.jpg

Of course it could be that some of the WiiU Controllers were prototypes and lacking the final feature set, but they didn't really give that impression.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 24 June 2011 - 04:04 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#34 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

I agree. At least Dementis and I care enough to post. We can't help it if no one else feels like posting.

What did you expect us to do? Just quit posting because it was only us two? Bring some friends and let's make it a party! :D

I posted but I don't have any ideas. You cover what I could have thought about and don't see any other use.

#35 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:28 AM

It looks like the WiiU controller is designed to be dockable, notice the two charging pads either side of the connector plus the molded sockets that would seem to be for the dock to hold the WiiU controller upright. So totally possible that it might work with the Wiimote.

However it looks like only the camera is under that strip, surely if there were LEDs they would have shown up in the third photo?
screenshot_256934.jpg screenshot_256933.jpg screenshot_256931.jpg

Of course it could be that some of the WiiU Controllers were prototypes and lacking the final feature set, but they didn't really give that impression.

No. The LEDS are inferred and the plastic used on the bar is used so you can't see the LEDS behind it but the light still goes through it.

#36 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:06 AM

No. The LEDS are inferred and the plastic used on the bar is used so you can't see the LEDS behind it but the light still goes through it.

Yes, but normally it hides the camera too except if light hits it at the right angle like it is in that photo. If you can see the camera you should be able to see at least the holes where the LEDs poke through as well.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#37 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:11 AM

Yes, but normally it hides the camera too except if light hits it at the right angle like it is in that photo. If you can see the camera you should be able to see at least the holes where the LEDs poke through as well.

The LEDS don't poke through. The camera does for aesthetics. A black bar with nothing on it doesn't look good (And wouldn't work for starters, because the camera would have to be black and white) and a black bar with LEDs poking through doesn't look good either. If you look at your Wii sensor bar, you don't see the LEDs, do you?

#38 Tony Bradshaw

Tony Bradshaw

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:00 AM

I can't remember seeing the sensor strip in any Wii U video, can anyone post a picture of it if they've seen it? Is it identical to the Wii?

Posted Image
For all the latest Wii U News: http://wiiuupdates.com/

#39 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:53 AM

I can't remember seeing the sensor strip in any Wii U video, can anyone post a picture of it if they've seen it? Is it identical to the Wii?

>.>

1) Do you think they would put a big black bar on the remote without a reason?

2) Don't, just don't, post in a thread without reading even the first post.

Don't want to sound like a d*ck, but for god's sake, read before you write.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!