13 replies to this topic

#1 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

What do you think the file size will be?
Ps3 are on bluray so thats 20gb. And some where more compress on disc.
Xbox 360 are on dual layer so that around 7.5gb, which is why some games have mutil disc.
Wii was normal dvd 4.3gb and dual layer 7.5gb. Only the big long ges where dual layer. Zelda skyword sword was normal dvd but super mash bros was dl.

So what will the wii u games be on?
I heard it wont be bluray since its sony tech.
And how will the disc effect graphic for the more details games?
A 32gb memory isnt alot to uncompress games to system, unless its on the fly.

Also will the disc read outside in like the wii? wii mainly had the index on the outside.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#2 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

Its high capacity disk that holds 25 gig per layer it has already been talked about and is based I believe on bluray but won't play movies and won't accept anything other than wiiu and wii disk.

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 11 October 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#3 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

Thats good to know it will have the needed space. I didnt see any information on it so i posted.
xile06 "N" ID

#4 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

Yes. They are new proprietary discs that hold up to 25 gb
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#5 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

the disc read speed is so high that you never need to install games onto the system
Posted Image

#6 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

The only information given so far I believe is its a 25GB high capacity optical disc likely based on bluray. Not seen any mention of supporting multiple layers though so could be 25GB only as well as wii disc support. Its possible it features both a dvd laser and bluray laser. To be honest 25GB is enough anyway. The 360 gets by with less than a third of that. I think 25GB will not be limiting unless you create a game full of 1080p pre-rendered video and to be honest such a game would likely be awful anyway. The great thing about the wii u optical drive is its likely to be much faster than either 360 or PS3 and thats the improvement many gamers want. The wii u's extra built in memory also means more of a game can be kept in permanent memory. Both these factors will likely more than compensate for the lack of hard drive. I know people are stating you can use a hard drive with the wii u usb 2.0 ports but lets face it usb 2.0 is really poor speeds and won't compare with the sata speeds of ps3 and 360.

#7 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

The average sized game this gen is probably 6-8 gigs (on the 360/PS3 anyways), so I would expect a lot more now that everything will most likely be able to hold more.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#8 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

The average sized game this gen is probably 6-8 gigs (on the 360/PS3 anyways), so I would expect a lot more now that everything will most likely be able to hold more.

Some ps3 games are on 50GB blurays like a metal gear solid and uncharted 3. Not many though. Its not really needed. Microsoft have some sort of terms and conditions that prevent games having less content on the 360 platform. So it tends to be exclusive ps3 games that benefit from blurays or games that are multiple disc on 360 but single disc on ps3.

In some ways the wii u could be good for ps3 as its another format with large capacity discs. We may get games developed for wii u and ps3 that simply don't get ported to 360 due to disc capacity. Especially as both are japanese.

#9 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

So if usb 2.0 is to slow for the wii u games, and there file size can be upward to 25gb.
How does nintendo plan to pull off there eshop for wii u release games?
Just wondering. Im a hard copy kinda of guy so ill only be buying games in store and not online.
I just remember nintendo saying first party games will be on there store day one for digital buy.

Also while we are talking about space.
Does anyone know how save games will work? Have they dont away with the block system?

Some ps3 games are on 50GB blurays like a metal gear solid and uncharted 3. Not many though. Its not really needed. Microsoft have some sort of terms and conditions that prevent games having less content on the 360 platform. So it tends to be exclusive ps3 games that benefit from blurays or games that are multiple disc on 360 but single disc on ps3.

In some ways the wii u could be good for ps3 as its another format with large capacity discs. We may get games developed for wii u and ps3 that simply don't get ported to 360 due to disc capacity. Especially as both are japanese.

Mgs 4 is 50gb on disc, but was more then that. it had a 4-5gb space needed on harddrive. So it uncompress. I believe it was aroynd 65gb.
And yea ff13 was 1 disc ps3 and 3 disc xbox 360.
So was the bf3 (xbox 2dics for textures). And halo 4 is 2 dice. Main game and muiltplayer.

Edited by xile6, 11 October 2012 - 11:13 AM.

xile06 "N" ID

#10 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

While usb 2.0 is slow for hard drives in comparison to the sata interfaces of ps3 and 360 its still usable just not great and certainly not practical to operate as virtual memory. You wouldn't want to download large 25GB games. Many eshop titles will probably be much smaller. Some wii games were really small at only about 300 megabytes but you wouldn't know unless you analysed the disc. The fact is the 360 and ps3 have very fast hard drive access which the wii u doesn't have. What the wii u has is a faster optical drive and more memory. Its likely the built in 32GB or 8GB of flash memory is pretty fast though.

I don't buy downloadable games generally. I prefer a physical copy of a game which has resell value.

#11 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

Wii U discs are 25 GB, Blu-ray discs. These are not proprietary tech, they are not HD-DVD (which uses a process similar to DVD). They are physically Blue-ray discs.

But they are not called "Blu-ray", because they will not be used to replicate movies, etc. And because Nintendo did not license playback.

I currently have stacks of Blu-ray discs in 25 GB and 50 GB quantities looking me in the face.

If Nintendo wanted, they could go with 50 GB, but 25 GB is beyond plenty. However, it's nice to know that the option is there.

While usb 2.0 is slow for hard drives in comparison to the sata interfaces of ps3 and 360 its still usable just not great and certainly not practical to operate as virtual memory. You wouldn't want to download large 25GB games. Many eshop titles will probably be much smaller. Some wii games were really small at only about 300 megabytes but you wouldn't know unless you analysed the disc. The fact is the 360 and ps3 have very fast hard drive access which the wii u doesn't have. What the wii u has is a faster optical drive and more memory. Its likely the built in 32GB or 8GB of flash memory is pretty fast though.

I don't buy downloadable games generally. I prefer a physical copy of a game which has resell value.

The SSD in the Wii U easily offers greater speed than the 360 HDD. USB 2.0 is obviously not 3.0, but it's not slouch. so the external hard drives will be fine.

I also buy physical media for the same reason. Value.

But also for security. No server issues or system glitches saying that I don't own something I actually do.

The download system is better for distributors, publishers, and content creators, because there is less work to do, less overhead, and less time to market.

But it's not the best for consumers. It's convenient. But it's a win-lose proposition.

One of the major issues that not many talk about with downloads is that they are often priced on par with retail media. This is ridiculous. graphic designers, the replication process, the printing, the silkscreen, the packaging, the shipping, etc. all costs (though in massive quantities, it's a lot less than you might think.). when going digital, those savings should be passed on to the consumers. Most often, they are not.

Even very old games often cost more than they should in download format. You can look at games on Xbox live On Demand for example and find a game selling for $29.99 and then go into any Gamestop and find the same thing for $14.99.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 11 October 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#12 Se7en

Se7en

Goomba

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:23 AM

I know people are stating you can use a hard drive with the wii u usb 2.0 ports but lets face it usb 2.0 is really poor speeds and won't compare with the sata speeds of ps3 and 360.

Wii U disc read speed is 22.5 MB/s as stated on this page. USB 2 is 35 MB/s so playing games from the hard drive should not be a problem. Installing the game to the hard drive might take a few minutes though.

I will purchase all my games digital for the Wii U if I can, to avoid having my kids shuffling the discs and damaging them in the process. Most likely I will pay a higher price than retail for this, but it is totally worth it.

#13 thehappening

thehappening

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

CUSTOM BLU RAY as was gamecube and wii custom use of DVD the nintendo priority bluray will read from disc in a totally differant way to a standard bluray drive and dsic just like wii and gamecube did

this makes piracy very hard and it also allows VERY VERY FAST data streaming not slow loading like ms and sony sysems gamecube couldnt be matched by xbox or ps2 in data loading as gamecube was far far faster at disc to ram streaming a custom version of disc and drive was used

the same thing again will be used in wiiu and again likely by panasonic as wii and gamecube were both custom panasonic drives

the iwata wii u reveal clearly stated a per second load speed 2.5 x ps3s bluray and other tweeks could see wiiu real world loading speed to be very very fast THE WAY A CONSOLE IS SUPPOSED TO BE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!cough cough sony and ms

ps3s drive was god awful at streaming for games wii vs x360 and ps3 was lightning fast due to great design and no HD wiiu will offerbthis high speed and the HD

also remember nintendolove compression and real time de compresion of data so even more can stream into ram

Wii U disc read speed is 22.5 MB/s as stated on this page. USB 2 is 35 MB/s so playing games from the hard drive should not be a problem. Installing the game to the hard drive might take a few minutes though.

I will purchase all my games digital for the Wii U if I can, to avoid having my kids shuffling the discs and damaging them in the process. Most likely I will pay a higher price than retail for this, but it is totally worth it.

YEP 2.5 X PS3 DRIVE

Edited by thehappening, 12 October 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#14 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

Wii U discs can be dual-layered for 50 gb of data, and usb 2.0 should be fine, even if you plan on digitally downloading every game (which you will be able to do)

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!