Photo

IGN shows off Transparent WiiU (Shows everything under the hood)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

Looks great, doubt any future plans of releasing a transparent casing :(
Posted Image

This is where it ends

#2 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

Yeah i saw this this morning on another site, i think the transparent casing would look pretty good :)

#3 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

AWESOME :D

Signature_Fox.png

#4 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

There's already a thread about this without the video.... But I don't really care. It's too awesome. :)

Edited by jono, 13 October 2012 - 03:58 PM.

#5 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

I just now notice on the motherboard that the wiiu appears to have 4 separate things of 512 mbs of ram totaling 2 gigs I wonder why they did that instead of 2 things of 1 gig ram hmmmm I wonder could it be they hope they can optimize the Operate System so it only needs 1 of the 512 mbs of ram so they can more easily add the other 512 mb of OS ram to the Game ram. Just a quick thought I couldn't understand why else they would do it that way.... maybe to spread out the heat could also be the reason since they want it to run cool ....I like my idea better thought (Laugh).

#6 Expansion Pak

Expansion Pak

Enlightened Fanboy

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • NNID:Koopamann14
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon the Series: XY and PS4

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

"The Wii U comes out on November 18th. Are U getting one?"

Nope, I'm getting the Nextbox and PS4. The Wii U sucks.
t.jpg

I shower you with coconut cream pies.

#7 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • NNID:SpikedGoomba
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

of course i'm getting one David Hatfeild

Posted Image

I am the hero this forum needs, but not the one it deserves.

#8 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

That looks cool, but I'd still prefer the black one anyday.

#9 BountyHunter

BountyHunter

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

That looks pretty neat, I never buy more than one console, so I'm just gonna stick with my Black Wii U.

Nonetheless though, the specs still seem to impress me. :)

#10 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

That looks pretty neat, I never buy more than one console, so I'm just gonna stick with my Black Wii U.

Nonetheless though, the specs still seem to impress me. :)

Most of it seems nice and orderly ......I'm still worried about the CPU though.

#11 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

I just now notice on the motherboard that the wiiu appears to have 4 separate things of 512 mbs of ram totaling 2 gigs I wonder why they did that instead of 2 things of 1 gig ram hmmmm I wonder could it be they hope they can optimize the Operate System so it only needs 1 of the 512 mbs of ram so they can more easily add the other 512 mb of OS ram to the Game ram. Just a quick thought I couldn't understand why else they would do it that way.... maybe to spread out the heat could also be the reason since they want it to run cool ....I like my idea better thought (Laugh).

I could be wrong, but I believe that having multiple sticks of ram allows the Wii U can properly run and take advantage of DDR. But like i said i could be wrong.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#12 thehappening

thehappening

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

already threads for this but ok its nice an all that...........

clearly 4x ram chips leading into the MCM so the 2gb ram is made of 4 512mb chips, what level or type of DRAM we dont yet know but ether gddr3 or 5 will be included if not fast ram like fc ram and or some ddr2 i think one fast one slow for each 1gb is going to be the case likey main game ram will be 128bit and os ram around 32 bit ish like wiis gddr3 is.......

mcm shows system core gpu and memory conectors plus dsp and ;likey starlet arm all on a chip plus a cpu area cpu is very small = POWETPC 400 SERIES BROADWAY CORES EDRAM CATCH

gpgpu looks big forums are saying 55nm i say thats WRONG its a 45nm gpu with 32mb edram included so making it look 55nm ish in size a 5670 or a 4670 with edram 32mb at 45nm would look about the same size as a 4670 at 55nm with no edram

so im guessing its a 4670 /5670 ;like gpu plus 32mb edarm plus co processors and memory controllers at 45nm and thats why it looks so big no idea on bus but a intergrated fsb or ring bus likely used or maybe multipul buses the powerpc 400 45nm ring bus seems most likely or a standrad fsb version at the same bit and clock speed

very clean board minimul chips taking up space and power VERY LIKE GAMECUBE im sure the whole MCM is built at 45nm

Most of it seems nice and orderly ......I'm still worried about the CPU though.

why worry about a edram catch and a 3mb catch vs say x360 why worry about 5 instrutions per clock vs 2 instructions of x360 ps3 and wii why worry about 3xcores out of order why worry about a arm taking up back ground tasks why worry about a dedicated DSP

its not cpu its CPU CO CPU AND DSP AND GPGPU CO GENERAL PURPOSE CPU WORK YOUR LOOKING AT IT FROM A FUNNY ANGLE

its like calling cell ps3s cpu WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG it was a io /os/sound/graphics/cpu ---- multi purpose chip not a cpu i love how the facts are ignored

there is no cpu vs say x360s cpu its a cpu a co cpu and a dsp and gpgpu help VS  a x360 cpu LOOK AT THINGS STR8 ON NOT FROM WEIRD ANGLES

#13 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

already threads for this but ok its nice an all that...........

clearly 4x ram chips leading into the MCM so the 2gb ram is made of 4 512mb chips, what level or type of DRAM we dont yet know but ether gddr3 or 5 will be included if not fast ram like fc ram and or some ddr2 i think one fast one slow for each 1gb is going to be the case likey main game ram will be 128bit and os ram around 32 bit ish like wiis gddr3 is.......

mcm shows system core gpu and memory conectors plus dsp and ;likey starlet arm all on a chip plus a cpu area cpu is very small = POWETPC 400 SERIES BROADWAY CORES EDRAM CATCH

gpgpu looks big forums are saying 55nm i say thats WRONG its a 45nm gpu with 32mb edram included so making it look 55nm ish in size a 5670 or a 4670 with edram 32mb at 45nm would look about the same size as a 4670 at 55nm with no edram

so im guessing its a 4670 /5670 ;like gpu plus 32mb edarm plus co processors and memory controllers at 45nm and thats why it looks so big no idea on bus but a intergrated fsb or ring bus likely used or maybe multipul buses the powerpc 400 45nm ring bus seems most likely or a standrad fsb version at the same bit and clock speed

very clean board minimul chips taking up space and power VERY LIKE GAMECUBE im sure the whole MCM is built at 45nm

why worry about a edram catch and a 3mb catch vs say x360 why worry about 5 instrutions per clock vs 2 instructions of x360 ps3 and wii why worry about 3xcores out of order why worry about a arm taking up back ground tasks why worry about a dedicated DSP

its not cpu its CPU CO CPU AND DSP AND GPGPU CO GENERAL PURPOSE CPU WORK YOUR LOOKING AT IT FROM A FUNNY ANGLE

its like calling cell ps3s cpu WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG it was a io /os/sound/graphics/cpu ---- multi purpose chip not a cpu i love how the facts are ignored

there is no cpu vs say x360s cpu its a cpu a co cpu and a dsp and gpgpu help VS a x360 cpu LOOK AT THINGS STR8 ON NOT FROM WEIRD ANGLES

Ur words confuse me.

1) It's proven to be a customized embedded Radeon e6760 GPGPU. I have even got the email proving it.

2) It could be PowerPC, however the architecture is Based on Watson, which is Power7, and I wouldn't understand why they'd include Power7 architecture in PowerPC?

3) Stop being so crazy with your typing. We don't understand you and you probably don't even understand yourself
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

Ur words confuse me.

1) It's proven to be a customized embedded Radeon e6760 GPGPU. I have even got the email proving it.

2) It could be PowerPC, however the architecture is Based on Watson, which is Power7, and I wouldn't understand why they'd include Power7 architecture in PowerPC?

3) Stop being so crazy with your typing. We don't understand you and you probably don't even understand yourself

Power 7 is technically power pc.

All the power line is since they started using ppc instruction architecture back with power 4 iirc. Power 7 uses ppc architecture 2.06.

That being said, the kid has no idea what hes talking about, if he did, he wouldnt still be screaming his nonsense like this.

If he actually knew anything about the ppc400 line he was blabbing about, hed know the biggest newest member of the series came in at 3.6mm squared.

See, he knows its small, but he doesnt know how small, so he sees the comparative size of the cpu being much smaller than the large gpu, and finds conviction through ignorance. The 400 line also requires a companion die in order to have an l2 cache or 'catch' has he constantly, erroneously screams. (there is no companion die on the wii u).

a tricore ppc 476 fp at 3.6mm square a core would end up around 11mm square for a tricore, less than half the size of the already small looking cpu, which is about 30mm square. On top of that, iwata asks states they shrunk cpu footprint considerably by integrating it through the mcm. So it was at one point even larger.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 MOFO

MOFO

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

I prfefer the black console, looks sleeker and much sexier.

Edited by MOFO, 14 October 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#16 thehappening

thehappening

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

the gpu is 8 rops the size of chips as nintendo clearly stated a long time ago is 45nm the gpu is Rv7 design not TURKS and the spoecs are leaked at vgleaks add all the things i already know like powerpc 400 AS WAS TOLD TO YOU YEARS AGO IN A WII U GO ARTICLE BUT YOU REFUSE TO TAKE THE FACT AS FACT!!!!

all leads to a commonsense answer that answer is as follows 45nm MCM  8 rop gpu around the 4670 to 5670 gpus of AMD/ATI 5670 has more shaders but less texture units 4670 has more texture units and less shaders 4670 is 55nm and 5670 is 40nm so ether at 45nm with edram and extra conectors and co processors would look very large on the MCM

ibm edram confirmed mcm confirmed and clearly tiny cpus

all point to a mcm of 45nm and powerpc 4xx broadway fied cores x3 a dsp a arm and a gpgpu due to all the leaks at vgleaks and a commonsense look at heat power and die size

results in a gpu around the HD4670 and a 3x core cpu of powerpc 400 series all on a mcm

this aint rocket science its easy peasy

HD4670 at 55nm in a pc card with gddr3 uses about 59watts the same gpu at 45nm and mcm intergrated with low power heat IBM EDRAM ADDED would way in at no more than 50 watts if not less even with a 800mhz clockspeed

peak power for wiiu is 75 watts NOT ROCKET SCIENCE and ddr is just bog standard ram of course it can use it

Edited by thehappening, 14 October 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#17 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

the gpu is 8 rops the size of chips as nintendo clearly stated a long time ago is 45nm the gpu is Rv7 design not TURKS and the spoecs are leaked at vgleaks add all the things i already know like powerpc 400 AS WAS TOLD TO YOU YEARS AGO IN A WII U GO ARTICLE BUT YOU REFUSE TO TAKE THE FACT AS FACT!!!!

all leads to a commonsense answer that answer is as follows 45nm MCM 8 rop gpu around the 4670 to 5670 gpus of AMD/ATI 5670 has more shaders but less texture units 4670 has more texture units and less shaders 4670 is 55nm and 5670 is 40nm so ether at 45nm with edram and extra conectors and co processors would look very large on the MCM

ibm edram confirmed mcm confirmed and clearly tiny cpus

all point to a mcm of 45nm and powerpc 4xx broadway fied cores x3 a dsp a arm and a gpgpu due to all the leaks at vgleaks and a commonsense look at heat power and die size

results in a gpu around the HD4670 and a 3x core cpu of powerpc 400 series all on a mcm

this aint rocket science its easy peasy

HD4670 at 55nm in a pc card with gddr3 uses about 59watts the same gpu at 45nm and mcm intergrated with low power heat IBM EDRAM ADDED would way in at no more than 50 watts if not less even with a 800mhz clockspeed

peak power for wiiu is 75 watts NOT ROCKET SCIENCE and ddr is just bog standard ram of course it can use it

You should take your own advice and look at the die size, lol, the wii u cpu is WAAAAAAAY to big.

Also, the 400 series, even the most recent one, dont have embedded l2 caches, they require a seperate companion core, increasing latency, power draw and manufacturing cost. And as we have all read the iwata asks, it basicly confirms no 400 series for this very reason.

https://www-01.ibm.c...P_Embedded_Core

" Companion cores include an L2 cache
controller that supports memory coherency".

And once again, the wii u cpu is too BIG, just because it looks small doesnt mean jack squat.

The 476 is WAAAAAAAY smaller.

www.power.org/solution/ibm-powerpc-476fp-embedded-processor-core/

'The 3.6mm2 size'

Do you understand how small 3.6mm squared is? i dont think you do.

its 1.8mm a side, are you comprehending this? Grab a ruler, look at the sides that say cm, see the cm? see the tiny little lines inside the cm? those are mm, the 476fp is less than two of those tiny little lines.

No look at the tiny little lines, and look at the pic of the wii u cpu.

Good, now stop posting all the nonsense.

Edited by 3Dude, 14 October 2012 - 02:06 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#18 Slim Shady

Slim Shady

Pls stand up

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Just mai opinon but I always think transperent systems look ugly.

So I get off stage right and drop the mic

Walk up to these hot chicks and im all like

"Sup ladies, my names Slim Shady.

I'm the lead singer in D12 baby"

#19 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

Looks great, doubt any future plans of releasing a transparent casing :(

Damn that guy looks like the guy from Uncharted 3... Drake I think?

Oh and guys calm down. Many of you are flaming, just stop... This is all because of that stupid specs debate...

Edited by Alianjaro, 14 October 2012 - 06:40 PM.

Posted Image

#20 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:52 AM

So.. did you techguys discover anything new from that?
No sig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!