The Wii U Power Debate

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:04 AM

seriously! i have heard all the rumors and different reports. i'm confused.... is the Wii U more powerful than PS360 or not? nintendo own big wig has come out and said it's not going to drastically outperform the other consoles. then someone comes out and say it's 50% more powerful than current consoles. now valve comes out and say it seems to be a lot more powerful than current gen. so at this point what am i to believe? it has been said the dev kits that developers are using now are underclocked and they are getting new ones. WTF nintendo?????

#2 SparktehFox

SparktehFox

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Splatterhouse, Sonic

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:10 AM

The console was confirmed to be 50% more powerful than the PS3 but those models were underclocked. So It's over 50% more powerful than the PS3.
Posted Image

#3 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:14 AM

The console was confirmed to be 50% more powerful than the PS3 but those models were underclocked. So It's over 50% more powerful than the PS3.

i can only hope. i mean if im going to spend 300-400 on a new console i need it to be significantly more powerful than what is available now. i felt shafted buying the Wii... looking forward to the Wii U.

#4 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:46 AM

this is the info you are on about :
"Some of the developers we spoke to indicated to us that the console will have 50 percent more processing power compared to the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360. This is yet to be confirmed by Nintendo."

Now for starters they only mention processing power, there is nothing about anything else, and on its own this is a pretty useless statistic, but besides that, it is completely unconfirmed by Nintendo. The only thing that is confirmed is that developers have indeed got not yet finalised dev kits and Sega expects new ones to be given during June or July.
It is however very safe to assume that it will be more powerful, we are 6 years down the line.

#5 SparktehFox

SparktehFox

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:22 AM

i can only hope. i mean if im going to spend 300-400 on a new console i need it to be significantly more powerful than what is available now. i felt shafted buying the Wii... looking forward to the Wii U.

I hardly believe you NEED it to be significantly more powerful. It's not gonna hurt your eyes if you play a game that looks as good as a PS3 game. You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I stopped seeing the difference in graphics when RE4 released on the GCN, and once people stop thinking graphics are important and gameplay is key, we may be able to revert back to the great thing Gaming was before it became saturated with HD.
Posted Image

#6 Tony Bradshaw

Tony Bradshaw

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

I think a 50% performance upgrade is suffice, I probably won't even notice the graphics upgrade from previous generation consoles (PS3 & 360).

Posted Image
For all the latest Wii U News: http://wiiuupdates.com/

#7 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:42 AM

I think a 50% performance upgrade is suffice, I probably won't even notice the graphics upgrade from previous generation consoles (PS3 & 360).

50% is 1½ times as powerful, right? Because that's not brilliant, but I suppose it's quite good compared to the Wii.

Also, confirmed news over writes rumors. The 50% comes from an old dev kit used to port games and build the basic structure of new exclusives. They've confirmed that they've given out new ones that are more powerful. Reggie has said that they have only shown 10% of what it'll be and Miyamoto saying it won't be dramatically more powerful won't change that. That is, it won't be extremely over powered like the PS3 was when it was released, but it'll be much more powerful than the PS3.

#8 Oni-Link

Oni-Link

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • Fandom:
    Phantasy star,Kingdom hearts,pokemon,Loz

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

I Dont care about power,But we know that its going to be More powerful than the ps3 and 360
Posted Image

#9 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

I hardly believe you NEED it to be significantly more powerful. It's not gonna hurt your eyes if you play a game that looks as good as a PS3 game. You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I stopped seeing the difference in graphics when RE4 released on the GCN, and once people stop thinking graphics are important and gameplay is key, we may be able to revert back to the great thing Gaming was before it became saturated with HD.

I'm sorry but it does matter. ok we know most people on this site loves nintendo exclusives. but if exclusives weren't an issue why pay im sure what will be 350-400 price for a new console that barely does what a ps3 can do.

#10 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

I'm sorry but it does matter. ok we know most people on this site loves nintendo exclusives. but if exclusives weren't an issue why pay im sure what will be 350-400 price for a new console that barely does what a ps3 can do.

er... barely does? I'm sorry, but this is a bit unfair (though I get that you're shouting because you feel that people are ignoring your point).

I agree that graphics matter. Crisp, detailed visuals (within any art style) absolutely add to the experience of gaming, on multiple levels, from story immersion to raw impact of the events in which you are participating. I bought an Xbox 360 because of the new gameplay experiences afforded by the more powerful system... and though I have argued in the past that graphics are not the most important thing about a game (and, indeed, still believe this to be absolutely true), I must say that visual power is a major component of the impact that games can have on a person who plays them.

The fact is, however, that the WiiU will certainly be more powerful than the current consoles on the market. This is not in doubt. That it mostly likely will not double or treble their power does not concern me, for reasons stated ad nauseum elsewhere and by everyone else here. The fact that it offers an innovative new controller, the most power on current market, and the support of some excellent franchises (1st, 2nd, and 3rd party) makes it a very appealing prospect to me, as a gamer.

Now, if you are one of those who INSIST that MS and PS have uber-awesome next-gen consoles - super machines 1000x more powerful than their current consoles and able to run spectacular game engines beyond any current developers' wildest imaginings - just waiting to be announced, well then, I just can't think of what to say. I don't think that this is likely, and I'm not even sure that it is possible from a technological/marketing point of view... but I could always be wrong, and I guess that we'll have to wait until something is actually announced by those companies to know for sure.

If such an announcement happens... good on them, and well wishing to those who can afford it. Personally, I am not ready to put down the $1000 that such a tech-beast would have to cost!

#11 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

er... barely does? I'm sorry, but this is a bit unfair (though I get that you're shouting because you feel that people are ignoring your point).

I agree that graphics matter. Crisp, detailed visuals (within any art style) absolutely add to the experience of gaming, on multiple levels, from story immersion to raw impact of the events in which you are participating. I bought an Xbox 360 because of the new gameplay experiences afforded by the more powerful system... and though I have argued in the past that graphics are not the most important thing about a game (and, indeed, still believe this to be absolutely true), I must say that visual power is a major component of the impact that games can have on a person who plays them.

The fact is, however, that the WiiU will certainly be more powerful than the current consoles on the market. This is not in doubt. That it mostly likely will not double or treble their power does not concern me, for reasons stated ad nauseum elsewhere and by everyone else here. The fact that it offers an innovative new controller, the most power on current market, and the support of some excellent franchises (1st, 2nd, and 3rd party) makes it a very appealing prospect to me, as a gamer.

Now, if you are one of those who INSIST that MS and PS have uber-awesome next-gen consoles - super machines 1000x more powerful than their current consoles and able to run spectacular game engines beyond any current developers' wildest imaginings - just waiting to be announced, well then, I just can't think of what to say. I don't think that this is likely, and I'm not even sure that it is possible from a technological/marketing point of view... but I could always be wrong, and I guess that we'll have to wait until something is actually announced by those companies to know for sure.

If such an announcement happens... good on them, and well wishing to those who can afford it. Personally, I am not ready to put down the $1000 that such a tech-beast would have to cost!

QFT
I dont understand why people think MS and Sony next gen console is going to be uber powerful ,The highest I can imagine their graphic being is next year gaming computer graphics and even that I think could be a overestimate.

#12 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

What people is forgetting that the jump from last generation to the current generation was due in fact to the changing of standard def to high def which it took roughly 40 years to do. That's why the graphics and the power of console made a huge jump. Now that the transition has been made it is not going to be a big difference with console graphics and power. High def is the new standard which should last another 40 years. People don't realize that companies don't make the standards but the governments does. High def was suppose to be the standard 15 years ago but people wasn't ready for it. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft next few generations will not be as significant in terms of mind boggling graphics and power is the only steps that will increase but that has more to do with the gameplay. History tells the future and the future will be determined by the gameplay experience. Nintendo knows this. As for TRON, the console is a year away and is a hot topic right now. You will hear confusing topic about the Wii U even when it comes to Nintendo making statements. How many new TV's are announced with the specs of the TV's being mention or the power of one TV over the other. It is about the functions of each TV. Gaming is just at a point now that the gameplay experience is the future. Game developers are happy with the Wii U and the fact that not everyone owns a PS3 and 360 should be taken into account. There are people who only have last gen consoles and prefer skipping generations. The same as people who still have standard def, 720p, and 1080p TV's. You shouldn't worry about what other people like and just concentrate on what you like. If you feel you like the Wii U buy it and enjoy it. If it is not for you then stick to what you have and enjoy it.

Edited by Tre, 23 June 2011 - 02:15 PM.

#13 Crillan

Crillan

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

Thank you!  I've been saying this in other places but it's always ignored.  This shouldn't even be an issue anymore with game consoles including the 3DS.  Focus should be on gameplay which is all dependent on developers.

#14 SparktehFox

SparktehFox

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

I LOVE what you've said here. and as for this, "if you are one of those who INSIST that MS and PS have uber-awesome next-gen consoles - super machines 1000x more powerful than their current consoles and able to run spectacular game engines beyond any current developers' wildest imaginings - just waiting to be announced, well then, I just can't think of what to say," I have this for you.

"It's hard to say right now. I do not think we'll have a console with a lot better graphics than the PS3 currently offered. I believe the future will be to offer consumers better and more accessible experience. The aim will be to make more people enter the world of video games and try to design titles for women."

- SCEE vice president of Spain/Portugal James Armstrong

Source:Sony Going Casual with the PS4
Posted Image

#15 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

"The aim will be to make more people enter the world of video games and try to design titles for women."

lol that is an incredibly sexist thing to say. He mentions people and women in 2 different categories, no need for that :D. They've probably learned from Nintendo's success in regards to giving more casual games to casual.

#16 Hardcore Brawler

Hardcore Brawler

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Punch Out!, Metroid, Zelda, more

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:33 AM

Software sells hardware ^^

Posted Image

by Cerberuz

My Wii U games wishlist:
Disaster 2 - F-Zero U - Eternal Darkness 2 - Madworld 2 - Beyond Good and Evil 2 (Wii U version)

#17 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

you guy still don't get it. for a nintendo fan... this console is going to be great! i'm not talking about nintendo fans. I'm talking about the hardcore fan out there that either has a ps360 or no console at all. why would that gamer go out and spend more money on a wii U when he can get a cheaper ps3 that has comparable power and blu-ray and a catalog that steadily rising. yes nintendo fans will eat this console up... but nintendo marketing is saying this product is for everyone. i just hope they learn... I'm seeing one major mistake right now with Wii U and if they don't fix it they will lose a lot of potential buyers.

#18 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

you guy still don't get it. for a nintendo fan... this console is going to be great! i'm not talking about nintendo fans. I'm talking about the hardcore fan out there that either has a ps360 or no console at all. why would that gamer go out and spend more money on a wii U when he can get a cheaper ps3 that has comparable power and blu-ray and a catalog that steadily rising. yes nintendo fans will eat this console up... but nintendo marketing is saying this product is for everyone. i just hope they learn... I'm seeing one major mistake right now with Wii U and if they don't fix it they will lose a lot of potential buyers.

I can understand what you are saying, right now we can't say how much more powerful the system is. We also have to wait on how well the 3rd parties support it. So for now just wait it out.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#19 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:21 PM

That debate isn't a necessary. Why would that gamer well I'm going to say why wouldn't that gamer. Every PS3 or 360 gamer isn't the same. Trying to predict what a person does is not achievable. There are people who just like what is new. There is people who are cheap. There are people who don't care either way. PS3 and Xbox 360 are near the end or middle (which ever way you want to put it) of their life cycle. Some people will risk it and some will not. Some people will be scared of the next pricing of their consoles. People can't be lumped into a category cause people are individuals. There are Nintendo fans that will skip the new consoles not just because of whether they like it but price or their own economic condition. If you try to keep thinking about it then you would go insane cause there are so many variables that can happen.

Edited by Tre, 25 June 2011 - 07:21 PM.

#20 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:55 PM

Oh for christ sake...

It's not going to dramatically out preform the system, but it will out preform them by a lot. That's all. Just shut up and let this thread bloody die already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!