• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MOFO

MOFO

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

"Foxconn found itself embroiled in yet another labour controversy this week, after it emerged the company employed school kids, some as young as 14.

Now a Chinese gaming website has learned that the school kids were involved in the manufacture of Nintendo’s new Wii U consoles. The kids, aged 14 to 16, worked overtime and at night to help churn out the consoles, which will be bought for spoiled brats in the west by their guilt ridden parents. And no, it’s not ironic, it’s nothing short of disgusting.

After the reports of underage interns emerged, Foxconn was quick to point out that they were free to leave whenever they liked. However, this does not seem to have been the case. Games QQ claims the kids used in Foxconn’s generous internship program were practically forced to participate. If they refused to do so, they were threatened by their teachers, who told them they might be kicked out of school or lose their graduation diplomas.

One 14-year-old worker told the site that he worked in the night shift, from 7:40PM to the morning.

“Whenever the work is done is when you get off your shift. If you don't finish the work, he (the production line foreman) won't let you end your shift. Usually, you can get off by 7 AM. My arms would hurt from the work," he is reported as saying.

The teen worked several consecutive night shifts and asked for sick leave, which he didn’t get. Eventually he was sacked and allegedly told that he would be kicked out of school. One student claims no days off were given at all.

Nintendo told Kotaku that it is investigating the matter and taking the allegations very seriously."

Link:
http://kotaku.com/59...cture-the-wii-u

#2 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:22 AM

I swear I've heard this before....

Posted Image

#3 MOFO

MOFO

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:34 AM

It's news to me and not very good news, now I know it's not NINTENDO's fault but it does leave them not looking good.

#4 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

It's news to me and not very good news, now I know it's not NINTENDO's fault but it does leave them not looking good.

I'd suggest scanning the forums before posting stuff. There has been a couple posts on this already. But it seems even though Foxconn makes products for several companies, Nintendo is going to look the worst. :/

Posted Image

#5 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:53 AM

Odds are these kids were working on everything from Wii Us to iPads. This problem lies more with Foxconn than with their partners. If you're going to look down on Nintendo for this, you'd better look down on Apple, Sony, Microsoft and kindle as well.
Posted Image

#6 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

Odds are these kids were working on everything from Wii Us to iPads. This problem lies more with Foxconn than with their partners. If you're going to look down on Nintendo for this, you'd better look down on Apple, Sony, Microsoft and kindle as well.

Definitely. But being Nintendo, stuff for them is blown out of proportion.

P.S. I love your sig

Posted Image

#7 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

This is disgusting. I can't believe it. I will think about those poor kids when opening my Wii U. I think that some of the money should go to those poor children.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#8 MOFO

MOFO

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:08 AM

I'd suggest scanning the forums before posting stuff. There has been a couple posts on this already. But it seems even though Foxconn makes products for several companies, Nintendo is going to look the worst. :/

Did and didn't see anything even used the search function, thanks for the suggestion

#9 Etkar

Etkar

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:56 AM

Great, now I won't be looking at a Wii U console without thinking of those kids...

Edited by Etkar, 21 October 2012 - 02:57 AM.

#10 Kuta∞sthA

Kuta∞sthA

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:17 AM

http://youtu.be/inuLCC--sfY?hd=1

Edited by Kuta∞sthA, 21 October 2012 - 03:23 AM.

#11 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:19 AM

What those kids need is a spokesperson for them. One that will say "If you want these kids to do this, they should receive the end product for free."

And then get the support from millions of people.

I shall feel glorious that I was able to get some disadvantaged kids in China a Wii U for Christmas.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#12 Stephen

Stephen

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Fandom:
    mario, mariokart, minecraft

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:42 AM

This is disgusting. I can't believe it. I will think about those poor kids when opening my Wii U. I think that some of the money should go to those poor children.

Although I am against this entirely, I think you and other people are taking this out of proportion.
in China, ALOT of school children work under age, and although it is illegal. It is quite normal. They get away with it. these Schoolchildren work for MONEY (And many of there parents actually encourage this because they want them to get experience)
They get paid a fair amount, In fact, From real schoolchildren in China, they said that these children get paid allot and can afford the brand new phones and other stuff. MOST of These children work out of free will and it happens everywhere in China and is accepted accross China as a normal thing.

I would like to stress again that I am definitely AGAINST THIS AND ALL child labour, but I want to point out that the media is blowing things out of proportion too much.

Posted Image

PM me if you want to add me on 3ds

#13 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:32 AM

Although I am against this entirely, I think you and other people are taking this out of proportion.
in China, ALOT of school children work under age, and although it is illegal. It is quite normal. They get away with it. these Schoolchildren work for MONEY (And many of there parents actually encourage this because they want them to get experience)
They get paid a fair amount, In fact, From real schoolchildren in China, they said that these children get paid allot and can afford the brand new phones and other stuff. MOST of These children work out of free will and it happens everywhere in China and is accepted accross China as a normal thing.

I would like to stress again that I am definitely AGAINST THIS AND ALL child labour, but I want to point out that the media is blowing things out of proportion too much.

I agree 100%

I'm not a heartless jerk...but this has been going on in China for a long time. If you guys guys are upset over them making your Wii U then you might as well just get depressed for the rest of your lives since probably half of what you own comes out of China and a lot of that is from child labor.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#14 unleashedknight

unleashedknight

Bob-omb

• Banned
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:30 AM

Poor Children? lol. Its not slavery and stuff like that, its a program. I kinda like this idea. Showing kids how the work is done.

#15 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

Poor Children? lol. Its not slavery and stuff like that, its a program. I kinda like this idea. Showing kids how the work is done.

I agree I've been working in the escavating business since I was five, it was a good way to learn what it meant to earn money.

#16 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

Foxconn, and even Nintendo, are in some hot water at the moment. As you said it does put both companies into hot water. But, it's not like Chinese companies breaking laws/rules is anything new. Hell, a Chinese company released a iPhone 5 based on the leaked specs, and even patented the product. That's why this action does NOT at all surprise me. It's China.

Still, nothing short of ridiculous.

#17 MOFO

MOFO

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

It's not so much kids working at 14 it's the fact the console could have been built by kids forced to work nights and overtime, just so they wouldn't get kicked out of school.
Some of you guys seem to be missing that point.

#18 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

How the hell was Nintendo supposed to know this was happening? Nintendo shouldn't be a target of the blame, Foxconn should be the one who takes all the negative press for this.
On top of that, as everyone has pointed out above me, this is China. Nothing new for them.

Edited by Mignaga, 21 October 2012 - 08:23 AM.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#19 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

The sad thing is Foxconn conditions are much better than many smaller chinese manufacturers, people are actively moving from the smaller companies to Foxconn because of better pay and conditions. Foxconn never have any trouble getting people to work there and the migration of workers away from Foxconn is non existant. Remembering that Foxconn employ a huge number of people, 100s of thousands possibly million plus.

China is a corrupt country and not a democracy. It has questionable ethics and its madness that the world is making such a country soo rich but its likely Foxconn is actually one of the better employers in China overall.

Big business isn't nice. Samsung built the Burj Khalifa and the migrant workers were practically slaves there in Dubai.

Nintendo used to operate love hotels which were basically brothels.

These companies aren't our friends and they can be quite ruthless in the way they pursue profit but if you listen to their marketing departments they are lovely people trying to do their best for the world.

If you want to be on morally high ground you are probably wise not to buy Goods from China but thats where 99% of electronic goods are coming from.

#20 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

It makes the WiiU more relatable because now the targeted demographic is not only purchasing the Wii U but it is also building it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!