Photo

Is the "hardcore" label being used wrong?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

People often go to great lengths to argue what a "hardcore" game is. What is getting on my nerves is people saying games like Zelda are 'Caual" and not harcore because it lacks violence and guns. To me a game is only hardcore if it has a serious fanbase, in that case Mario is extremly hardcore and games like Farcry are casual. Who here feels the same?

Signature_DK.png

#2 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

Technically you're correct, but that's not how the terminology tends to get used. :/

#3 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

It's a silly term anyway. Normally, I associate the term "hardcore" with difficult games that takes a lot of serious gaming, as opposed to "casual" games that you can just play for 15 minutes at a time and not have to devote any time to get into.

#4 angelo07stang

angelo07stang

Boo

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Metroid, mariokart

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

I personally just refer to myself as a gamer I like all types of games for the most part I can have just as much fun playing zelda or mario as i do playing a first person shooter.
Posted Image

#5 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

Yes. Playing Call of Duty, Madden, and Grand Theft Auto for hours on end doesn't make someone a hardcore gamer. That makes you super casual.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#6 scotty79

scotty79

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • Fandom:
    bf3,cod and timesplitters 2!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Naaaw its got more to do with what amount of games you buy I reckon.A hardcore gamer maybe buys six full price retail games in a year maybe.Someone who buys 1-3maybe casual?4-5 maybe above average.6+ hardcore just speculating like
Posted Image

#7 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

My definition of a Hardcore Gamer: Someone who plays games as part of their lifestyle, not as just a thing to do when bored. Someone who plays all sorts of games and is always first in line and at midnight launches to pick then up. Hardcore gamers span multiple generations and never forget the games that got them to where they are. Hardcore gamers passions go beyond just the game to art books, figures, and other tie ins. We are passionate fans, which is Why I always say Nintendo fans are some of the last hardcore gamers around. Keep gaming my friends.

Edited by TrickySx4, 17 November 2012 - 09:36 AM.

Posted Image
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#8 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

Imo.
Hardcore is for dieheart fans.
So cod , halo, zelda, madden, etc... Is hardcore. Any game with a big fan base of people willing to stanf n the cold @ midnight makes a hardcore game.
But that is imo.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#9 SILV3RSCORPION

SILV3RSCORPION

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Fandom:
    Borderlands , Metroid Prime

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

My definition of a Hardcore Gamer: Someone who plays games as part of their lifestyle, not as just a thing to do when bored. Someone who plays all sorts of games and is always first in line and at midnight launches to pick then up. Hardcore gamers span multiple generations and never forget the games that got them to where they are. Hardcore gamers passions go beyond just the game to art books, figures, and other tie ins. We are passionate fans, which is Why I always say Nintendo fans are some of the last hardcore gamers around. Keep gaming my friends.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
This...... Hit the nail on the head.
Posted Image
NNID - SILV3RSC0RPI0N

#10 hohi

hohi

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Naaaw its got more to do with what amount of games you buy I reckon.A hardcore gamer maybe buys six full price retail games in a year maybe.Someone who buys 1-3maybe casual?4-5 maybe above average.6+ hardcore just speculating like

I buy a minimum of 4 retail games every week, this week alone I bought 16 retail games...

Does that means I am Super Ultra Ultimate Hardcore Gamer?

Hit the nail but I disagree with going to midnight launches part because there are some people who won't be able to attend it due to several reasons.

#11 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

I buy a minimum of 4 retail games every week, this week alone I bought 16 retail games...

Does that means I am Super Ultra Ultimate Hardcore Gamer?

Hit the nail but I disagree with going to midnight launches part because there are some people who won't be able to attend it due to several reasons.

I hear ya, even I can't make every midnight launch
Posted Image

#12 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

To label Hardcore as CoD, Halo, Zelda,GTA... is just completely wrong... you could be a hard core Hello kitty adventure land fan that doesn't make you any less hardcore than the guy who plays CoD all day every day, My best friend is a hardcore Angry Birds player he 100% everything the day it comes out and its just insane but that doesnt mean that just because its a dumb game like Angry birds mean hes less hardcore than a WoW fan..

Labels are silly to use anyways, the people that call themselves "Hardcore" gamers are normally the biggest meanies in the world and I dont want to associtate myself with them in the least bit, so I much rather prefer to call myself "A guy who likes and enjoys video games"

Edited by Mitch13pavel, 17 November 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#13 hohi

hohi

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

Labels are silly to use anyways, the people that call themselves "Hardcore" gamers are normally the biggest ogre douche bags in the world and I dont want to associtate myself with them in the least bit, so I much rather prefer to call myself "A guy who likes and enjoys video games"

I don't like being called hardcore gamer and I prefer to be called a "Gamer" instead.

But calling hardcore gamers the biggest ogre vegetas is taking it too far.

#14 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

To label Hardcore as CoD, Halo, Zelda,GTA... is just completely wrong... you could be a hard core Hello kitty adventure land fan that doesn't make you any less hardcore than the guy who plays CoD all day every day, My best friend is a hardcore Angry Birds player he 100% everything the day it comes out and its just insane but that doesnt mean that just because its a dumb game like Angry birds mean hes less hardcore than a WoW fan..

Labels are silly to use anyways, the people that call themselves "Hardcore" gamers are normally the biggest ogre douche bags in the world and I dont want to associtate myself with them in the least bit, so I much rather prefer to call myself "A guy who likes and enjoys video games"

Man Look at this jerk! Lol. Just messing. I think It's all in the wording Mitch. Everyone views it differently, Label or No label.
Posted Image

#15 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

I don't like being called hardcore gamer and I prefer to be called a "Gamer" instead.

But calling hardcore gamers the biggest ogre vegetas is taking it too far.

I said "normally" not always but "normally"... and I changed it to biggest meanies just for you :P is that better

Man Look at this jerk! Lol. Just messing. I think It's all in the wording Mitch. Everyone views it differently, Label or No label.

Yeah exactly like you could be justified as being a hardcore gamer, and I would know your not a total tool, you have your lovely collection going on, you enjoy games that span across multiple decades and your an all around nice guy, but my wording was mostly directed at the millions of CoD clones and the haters, because how can you call yourself a "hardcore" gamer when you are someone who so adamantly is hating on the gaming industry itself...

#16 Gnomishek

Gnomishek

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

Actually, hardcore is a musical genre originated from punk music. That's pretty much it.

Молоту войн и рокоту гроз вольные рати верны, где ветром могучим из братины звёзд рунные стяги пьяны.

#17 scotty79

scotty79

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • Fandom:
    bf3,cod and timesplitters 2!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Alright Im going to say it.Nintendo fans have more of a probem with the term casual gamer as its probably used for them and their (nintendo) systems maybe more often than other consoles.Only reason for this is that certain titles/focus from nintendo seems to go towards an audience that other wise maybe not have played mainstream games, hence the casual gamer.Its easy to see why some here seem so against the term and its association.Isnt it funny the way absolutely no one wants to be the casual gamer?lol
Posted Image

#18 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

I like all games, a true gamer doesn't label themselves.

#19 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

Well as i can see in this thread. It depends on each person. To each his own. Since everyone see a hardcore gamer as something different. Which is true.
Its like saying a game sucks while millions other love it to death.
Just like i think pokemon needs a giant update but other love it to death the way it is. Which they are hardcore pokemon fans
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#20 Jakester897

Jakester897

Spiny

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, puzzle games, Pikmin

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Hardcore means that the center of the game is hard. So a cartridge-based game is hardcore, while a disc, which has a giant hole in the core, is not hardcore.
Posted Image
What we do is, if we ever need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
We put the volume up to eleven. One louder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!