Photo

Wii U's RAM is slower than PS3/Xbox 360.

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

#41 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Ok Well hopefully we can figure out the entire puzzle I recently closed the tab on the Neogaf CPU thread because It was giving me headaches but I have the Wiiu Final Spec thread open to see if anything else is found out .

The main information we need is the on die edram chips, both cp and gpu, the whole system seems designed around it.

And judging by what Shin ens said about it, it will be pretty good.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#42 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

The main information we need is the on die edram chips, both cp and gpu, the whole system seems designed around it.

And judging by what Shin ens said about it, it will be pretty good.

Yeah Its a bit annoying that so many Devs contradict other devs though but I guess its less contradiction and more different opinions in power which does worry me kinda with what Shin ens said since I think they have only worked on Nintendo Platforms.

#43 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Yeah Its a bit annoying that so many Devs contradict other devs though but I guess its less contradiction and more different opinions in power which does worry me kinda with what Shin ens said since I think they have only worked on Nintendo Platforms.

Shin en has been a Nintendo exclusive 3rd party since 1999. Before that they were pc devs.

Now, there is a reason why they are still considered a third party, and not a second party. They make games for Nintendo products by choice. Likely because They have the know how to code to metal in an industry where that is quickly becoming a lost skill, and thus can stand out head and shoulders above anyone else with a very cheap to produce product.

However, Shin en skills is well known throughout the industry, and everybody respects them. Shin en does free lance work for many, MANY, companies, very well known companies, they simply only release games under the shinen lable for Nintendo platforms.

Some of Shin ens strong middleware relationships:They have indeed, coded products for systems other than those released by Nintendo. Everyone respects Shin en. They are 5 dudes who know their stuff. When they say something, listen, no qualifiers.

By the way, Nano assault Neo is running on 1 cpu core.

Edited by 3Dude, 18 November 2012 - 09:42 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#44 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

Shin en has been a Nintendo exclusive 3rd party since 1999. Before that they were pc devs.

Now, there is a reason why they are still considered a third party, and not a second party. They make games for Nintendo products by choice. Likely because They have the know how to code to metal in an industry where that is quickly becoming a lost skill, and thus can stand out head and shoulders above anyone else with a very cheap to produce product.

However, Shin en skills is well known throughout the industry, and everybody respects them. Shin en does free lance work for many, MANY, companies, very well known companies, they simply only release games under the shinen lable for Nintendo platforms.

Some of Shin ens strong middleware relationships:

They have indeed, coded products for systems other than those released by Nintendo. Everyone respects Shin en. They are 5 dudes who know their stuff. When they say something, listen, no qualifiers.

By the way, Nano assault Neo is running on 1 cpu core.

I know I love Shin en I have
Fast Racing league (Wii)
Nanostray (DS)
Art of Balance Touch (3ds)
I am quite aware of their optimization and game making abilities.

#45 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

I know I love Shin en I have
Fast Racing league (Wii)
Nanostray (DS)
Art of Balance Touch (3ds)
I am quite aware of their optimization and game making abilities.

But apparantly still not aware they worked on ps3/360 games,and machines so advanced and powerful they make ps4/durango look like a joke.

Which was the point of my last post.

Edited by 3Dude, 18 November 2012 - 09:58 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#46 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

But apparantly still not aware they worked on ps3/360 games.

Which was the point of my last post.

Yes I know (since you posted that) It does in fact give me confidence though that they have touched the other consoles .
I'm hoping the CPU comes out much stronger than the 360s cpu but at a lower clock speed.

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 18 November 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#47 Gareee

Gareee

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

This sounds the same as the euro vs Us galaxy S3 smartphones... the Euro ones are faster, but because the US phone shave twice the ram, when you benchmark them, the us phones come out the same or better as the euro models.

#48 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

What's the significance of it only running on 1 core? Epic programming skills? Strong cpu?
Posted Image

#49 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

Yes I know (since you posted that) It does in fact give me confidence though that they have touched the other consoles .
I'm hoping the CPU comes out much stronger than the 360s cpu but at a lower clock speed.

Googly moogly, they work with Neon enterprise software, that ones new.

Thats top of the line mainframe super computer software optimizing they are doing. These guys are nuts.

But yeah, I had to make doubly sure people realize they know much MUCH more than just Nintendo hardware.

The cpu will fall well below the 360/ps3 in terms of floatingpoint operations a second, and in turn simd loops. Which, is pretty who cares, the most not good thing about ps3/360 was its focus on flops. Gpu's need flops (sorta), cpu's need general purpose, which ps360 were garbage at. Developers were, eventually, able to build something worthwhile around the flop strengths, but when a life cycle goes on 2-3 years longer than any system cycle in history, that should be expected.

That being said, all signs point to ps4/durangos cpu's also falling below cell and xenon in flop count. WHich would make bc very very difficult.

These consoles will be very dissimilar to this gens consoles.they will not simply be an enhancement of 360/ps3. Thats because, Dennard scaling is reaching the end of physical possibility with silicon on insulator. New wells need to be dipped into, and each well is shallower than the last. Its the main reason the 5 year cycle has been broken. The power advancement/price ratio of the past 30 years has been broken.

So many people are going to be so dissapointed by this gen.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#50 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Googly moogly, they work with Neon enterprise software, that ones new.

Thats top of the line mainframe super computer software optimizing they are doing. These guys are nuts.

But yeah, I had to make doubly sure people realize they know much MUCH more than just Nintendo hardware.

The cpu will fall well below the 360/ps3 in terms of floatingpoint operations a second, and in turn simd loops. Which, is pretty who cares, the most not good thing about ps3/360 was its focus on flops. Gpu's need flops (sorta), cpu's need general purpose, which ps360 were garbage at. Developers were, eventually, able to build something worthwhile around the flop strengths, but when a life cycle goes on 2-3 years longer than any system cycle in history, that should be expected.

That being said, all signs point to ps4/durangos cpu's also falling below cell and xenon in flop count. WHich would make bc very very difficult.

These consoles will be very dissimilar to this gens consoles.they will not simply be an enhancement of 360/ps3. Thats because, Dennard scaling is reaching the end of physical possibility with silicon on insulator. New wells need to be dipped into, and each well is shallower than the last. Its the main reason the 5 year cycle has been broken. The power advancement/price ratio of the past 30 years has been broken.

So many people are going to be so dissapointed by this gen.

Hopefully the disappointment will work in favor for wiiu owners.

#51 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Keep in mind that even if the gpu is faster, some performance would be lost overcoming a cpu deficit. In games. The same goes if the RAM is slow.

#52 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Hey at least it still a better buy than the competition

Not so sure.
At least it'll get Nintendo games.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#53 Smertrius

Smertrius

Thwomp

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • NNID:smertrius
  • Fandom:
    nintendo videogames,

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Technical specifications

Nintendo has released technical specifications of the Wii U hardware, which are listed below. These specifications are subject to change.[3][5]Note: Neither Nintendo nor IBM has verified any clock speeds given.

Processors

The Wii U CPU is designed by IBM. It is described by IBM as an "all-new, Power-based microprocessor",[85] the processor is a multi-core design manufactured at 45 nm with an eDRAM cache. Neither Nintendo nor IBM has revealed detailed specifications, such as the number of cores, clock rate, or cache sizes. References have been made to the chip containing "a lot" of eDRAM and "the same processor technology found in Watson".[86] The Wii U CPU is produced by IBM at their 300 mm semiconductor manufacturing facility in East Fishkill, New York.[85] Both the CPU and the GPU are on one MCM.[84]

RAM
  • 2 GB total, consisting of four 512 MB (4 Gb) DDR3-1600 DRAM chips at 12.8 GB/s total bandwidth, with 1 GB reserved for the operating system and unavailable to games[87]
Storage Ports and peripheral capabilities
  • SD memory card slot (supports SDHC cards)
  • USB 2.0 ports (two at front of console, two at rear)
  • Sensor Bar power port
  • "AV Multi Out" port
  • HDMI 1.4 out port[63]
Internet Browser
  • Browser Engine: NetFront Browser NX v2.1
  • User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Nintendo WiiU) AppleWebKit/534.52 (KHTML, like Gecko) NX/{Version No} NintendoBrowser/{Version No}.US
  • Supported Protocols: HTTP1.0/HTTP1.1/SSL3.0/TLS1.0/TLS1.1/TLS1.2
  • Plug-ins: Does not support plug-ins, such as Adobe Flash.
Wii U GamePad
Main article: Wii U GamePad
  • Built-in 9-axis motion sensors (3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis gyroscope and a 3-axis geomagnetic sensor)[92]
  • Stereo Speakers and Microphone
  • Volume Control
  • Front-facing camera
  • IR Sensor strip
  • Infrared Transceiver (part of "TV Control" feature)
  • Headphone jack
  • 6.2 inch (15.7 cm) 16:9 resistive touchscreen
  • Two clickable analog sticks and one D-pad
  • Stylus
  • Select, Start, TV Control, Home and Power buttons
  • A/B/X/Y face buttons, L/R bumper buttons and ZL/ZR trigger buttons
  • Rumble
  • Controller sync button
  • NFC[66]
  • Wireless communication with console based on IEEE 802.11n operating at ~5.2 GHz and technically supports repeaters.[76]
  • Multi-Purpose External Extension Connector (power and data transmission for possible future additional accessories)
  • Two metal contacts for charging cradle power connectors (at the bottom around external extension connector)
Note: The Wii U is also compatible with the Wii Remote Plus, Nunchuk, Classic Controller, and the Wii Balance Board.[93] Video Audio
  • "AV Multi Out" port: RCA Analog stereo
  • HDMI output: six-channel (5.1) linear PCM

#54 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Technical specifications

Nintendo has released technical specifications of the Wii U hardware, which are listed below. These specifications are subject to change.[3][5]Note: Neither Nintendo nor IBM has verified any clock speeds given.

Processors

The Wii U CPU is designed by IBM. It is described by IBM as an "all-new, Power-based microprocessor",[85] the processor is a multi-core design manufactured at 45 nm with an eDRAM cache. Neither Nintendo nor IBM has revealed detailed specifications, such as the number of cores, clock rate, or cache sizes. References have been made to the chip containing "a lot" of eDRAM and "the same processor technology found in Watson".[86] The Wii U CPU is produced by IBM at their 300 mm semiconductor manufacturing facility in East Fishkill, New York.[85] Both the CPU and the GPU are on one MCM.[84]

RAM
  • 2 GB total, consisting of four 512 MB (4 Gb) DDR3-1600 DRAM chips at 12.8 GB/s total bandwidth, with 1 GB reserved for the operating system and unavailable to games[87]

Storage

Ports and peripheral capabilities
  • SD memory card slot (supports SDHC cards)

• USB 2.0 ports (two at front of console, two at rear)

• Sensor Bar power port

• "AV Multi Out" port

• HDMI 1.4 out port[63]

Internet Browser
  • Browser Engine: NetFront Browser NX v2.1

• User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Nintendo WiiU) AppleWebKit/534.52 (KHTML, like Gecko) NX/{Version No} NintendoBrowser/{Version No}.US

• Supported Protocols: HTTP1.0/HTTP1.1/SSL3.0/TLS1.0/TLS1.1/TLS1.2

• Plug-ins: Does not support plug-ins, such as Adobe Flash.

Wii U GamePad
Main article: Wii U GamePad
  • Built-in 9-axis motion sensors (3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis gyroscope and a 3-axis geomagnetic sensor)[92]

• Stereo Speakers and Microphone

• Volume Control

• Front-facing camera

• IR Sensor strip

• Infrared Transceiver (part of "TV Control" feature)

• Headphone jack

• 6.2 inch (15.7 cm) 16:9 resistive touchscreen

• Two clickable analog sticks and one D-pad

• Stylus

• Select, Start, TV Control, Home and Power buttons

• A/B/X/Y face buttons, L/R bumper buttons and ZL/ZR trigger buttons

• Rumble

• Controller sync button

• NFC[66]

• Wireless communication with console based on IEEE 802.11n operating at ~5.2 GHz and technically supports repeaters.[76]

• Multi-Purpose External Extension Connector (power and data transmission for possible future additional accessories)

• Two metal contacts for charging cradle power connectors (at the bottom around external extension connector)

Note: The Wii U is also compatible with the Wii Remote Plus, Nunchuk, Classic Controller, and the Wii Balance Board.[93]

Video

Audio
  • "AV Multi Out" port: RCA Analog stereo

• HDMI output: six-channel (5.1) linear PCM

I think Wikipedia copied your post.

#55 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

wii U ram bandwidth is not 12.8 but 146... mem 1 is the ed ram... mem 2 is the 2gigs... overall 146 gb/s

the same thing is XBOX 720!!!!

8 gigs of ddr3... but if u read the specs, it says ram bandwidth 172gb/s   correct????  But ddr3 is 28gb/s on xbox720...  hehe

its because of ram hierarchy... mem 1 is the ed ram (also in xbox720) and mem 2 is the 8 gigs of ddr3.

Edited by Plutonas, 19 March 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#56 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

Why would you even post such false information?

The best information currently is here;

http://gamrconnect.v...d.php?id=136756

At the moment all we can really do is compare GPU performance and memory bandwidth and in those regards the wii u is very weak. It is highly likely when we get further information for example wii u cpu performance the figures will be comparitively even lower compared to xbox 720 or PS4.

It is utterly ridiculous to compare the wii u to ps4 and xbox 720 and there is not a shred of evidence to support that view. Wii u is a current generation console in performance overall.

Even if the wii u 32MB of video memory has ultra high memory bandwidth, it is only 32MB and its only for use for the GPU for display memory, textures etc. PS4 has 176GB/S of memory bandwidth compared to 12.8GB/S that is the important comparison.

#57 ArmedPrimate

ArmedPrimate

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • NNID:BringerOfBooze
  • Fandom:
    Cloud (FFVII), Master Chief (Halo)

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

If you like high action games, lifelike graphics and what not than go with the next box and PS4. If you like games that concentrate more on fun and what not than choose anything Nintendo releases. It's how I've seen it for years, every Nintendo console I have ever owned I have the best memories with and played for HOURS. Sony and Microsoft's consoles, I've played but didn't have such a great time with.

#58 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:38 AM

At the moment all we can really do is compare GPU performance and memory bandwidth and in those regards the wii u is very weak. It is highly likely when we get further information for example wii u cpu performance the figures will be comparitively even lower compared to xbox 720 or PS4.

It is utterly ridiculous to compare the wii u to ps4 and xbox 720 and there is not a shred of evidence to support that view. Wii u is a current generation console in performance overall.

Even if the wii u 32MB of video memory has ultra high memory bandwidth, it is only 32MB and its only for use for the GPU for display memory, textures etc. PS4 has 176GB/S of memory bandwidth compared to 12.8GB/S that is the important comparison.

ur wrong..

then u tell us that xbox720 is 28gb/s  as well... Wii U and Microsoft use the same memory modules, xbox is a bit clocked higher...

720 got 32mb of EDRAM and 8gb of ddr3 at 28 gb/s

#59 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

Espresso has complete access to all three banks of memory, to include the gpu pools on an extremely high speed bus. Its almost like the cpu and gpu have been put on the same substrate, almost as if its designed on a single multichip module or something.

Love the straw man arguments, like anyones actually said 'as powerful as ps4', as if the only two possible outcomes is on par with ps4 or on par with ps3.

Lol, keep trolling to the bitter end. It makes it so much more fun.

Edited by 3Dude, 22 March 2013 - 07:03 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#60 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

All I know is Nintendo has to show it. I'm tired of all the talk of what the Wii U is capable of. Show us!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!