18 replies to this topic

#1 Rathavyr

Rathavyr

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

Hi All,

I am have 2 concerns with my new Wii U and hope someone can help shed some light on these:

1. The internet browser runs increasibly slow! It took it about 2-3 minutes to load the ign.com website. Is there anything I can do to speed this up (ie. firewall and router settings). I am quite good with computers but know little about networks and firewalls, so dumbing down of any technical things would be great :)

2. When I load netflix the system locks up on Netflix loading screen. I cannot even turn the power off on the console and am forced to turn off my power bar to reset the system. Any one experience this and know of a fix?

Thanks for the help!

#2 angelo07stang

angelo07stang

Boo

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Metroid, mariokart

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

seems to be a common problem I have no desire to use netflix on wii u cause I have apple tv with netfix on that nintendos servers are just jammed up right now its a brand new system things wont get better till probably the next update.
Posted Image

#3 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

Unfortunatly I can't answer either, I havn't got mine yet :(

#4 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

My internet browser is pretty quick, so it's probably either busy servers or a slow internet connection. As for Netflix, I remember there were problems with the Wii and 3DS Netflix apps ( also freezing), so it's normal ( I think).

#5 Rathavyr

Rathavyr

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

My internet browser is pretty quick, so it's probably either busy servers or a slow internet connection. As for Netflix, I remember there were problems with the Wii and 3DS Netflix apps ( also freezing), so it's normal ( I think).

I know what it wouldn't be an slow internet connection. I jumped on my Xbox and was playing Call of Duty online and it was working great. Anyone know if there are router settings that need to be optimized to help it run faster?

#6 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

I know what it wouldn't be an slow internet connection. I jumped on my Xbox and was playing Call of Duty online and it was working great. Anyone know if there are router settings that need to be optimized to help it run faster?

If you're internet is fine, then it's likely traffic on Nintendo's servers. Though my PS3 and Vita have excessive download times ( 200 minutes for a 490MB game on Vita), despite having a great connection. Maybe it's just the console? But I'd say test the internet browser again in a few days and see if it's still slow.

#7 Rathavyr

Rathavyr

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

Found a fix to my problem on another site, in case anyone else is experiencing the same as me. This also works if you cannot connect to WiFi at all. Netflix and other apps no longer froze the system after doing this:

Ok so far heres what works, entering in everything manually.

1. Go into connection types, Hit "Manual Configuration"

2. Input your SSID

3. Input the correct security type, this is key.

4. Put your password in properly

5. For ip address "Do not auto obtain".

6. open up cmd in your computer, type in ipconfig

7. Now input that ip address but add 10 to the last number so "192.168.0.1" will be entered as "192.168.0.11"

8. Enter the rest of your info inside such as subnet mask and default gateway exactly as you see it in your ipconfig.

9. Now hit next, hit configure now for your DNS. When asked about DNS hit "Dont auto obtain".

10. For the first server put in 8.8.8.8

11. For the second server put in 8.8.4.4

12. Hit Next, when asked about a proxy hit no proxy

13. Leave mtu as the default

14. it should work, if not check the ip and that it is the internet ip + 10. Good luck

#8 Irengard

Irengard

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

Found a fix to my problem on another site, in case anyone else is experiencing the same as me. This also works if you cannot connect to WiFi at all. Netflix and other apps no longer froze the system after doing this:

Thank you! I've been loooking for a fix for 3 days now. It truly works.. thanks!

#9 Jman781

Jman781

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Thank you Rathavyr, I registered just to say this worked out for me. Netflix is working great and my browser is 10x faster now!

#10 Falconberg

Falconberg

Spiny

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

That is one crazy solution. Any genius out there want to tell us why this works? My internet/ netflix worked from the start, but I'm curious how this fix works.
-falconberg (Nintendo Network ID)

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

That is one crazy solution. Any genius out there want to tell us why this works? My internet/ netflix worked from the start, but I'm curious how this fix works.

He changed the channel (from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.11) to one with less traffic, so he got a larger share of bandwidth.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

How many bars does your internet connection? Could it be possible that someone else in the house is doing something that could potentially slowing down your internet?

The issues you're suffering from haven't occur for me yet, the internet browser is lightning quick and Netflix loads relatively fast.

EDIT: It seems you found a solution to your dilemma, that's what I get for skimming through the topic, lol.

Edited by Zinix, 24 November 2012 - 01:28 PM.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#13 bigpapa7272

bigpapa7272

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Fandom:
    COD, Mario Kart,

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Ok so far heres what works, entering in everything manually.

1. Go into connection types, Hit "Manual Configuration"

2. Input your SSID

3. Input the correct security type, this is key.

4. Put your password in properly

5. For ip address "Do not auto obtain".

6. open up cmd in your computer, type in ipconfig

7. Now input that ip address but add 10 to the last number so "192.168.0.1" will be entered as "192.168.0.11"

8. Enter the rest of your info inside such as subnet mask and default gateway exactly as you see it in your ipconfig.

9. Now hit next, hit configure now for your DNS. When asked about DNS hit "Dont auto obtain".

10. For the first server put in 8.8.8.8

11. For the second server put in 8.8.4.4

12. Hit Next, when asked about a proxy hit no proxy

13. Leave mtu as the default

14. it should work, if not check the ip and that it is the internet ip + 10. Good luck

thanks it connected to the net much faster!
Posted Image

#14 Mighty_Dino

Mighty_Dino

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

He changed the channel (from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.11) to one with less traffic, so he got a larger share of bandwidth.

You're not too far off, and because you're so close, I'll explain what he's done. Lucky you! ^_^

First, channel isn't the term to use, though it is used when discussing wifi, only it's referring to the channel used by the wifi antenna. More later...

What he did was tell his wiiU to used a 'static IP address,' which is what the 192.168..... etc. numbers are. The IP address would normally come from the router on its own, but that seems to be failing. Setting a 'static' IP address sure the wiiU is using 1 address only, the one you manually input.

DNS means 'domain name server' and its an IP address to a server somewhere that takes the 'domain name' or a .com type web address, and finds the the IP address of whatever server has the content you're looking for. Setting them to 8.8.8.8 etc is essentially setting your DNS servers to a Static IP address (or 2).

Things you'll need to know about this configuration:

** the prefix (the first three numbers separated by periods, in his case: 192.168.0) can change to something else if you replace your router, in which case you'll need to go through the steps again using a pc (or just another network device) to find the new prefix.
** if you go through the steps and find things are still slow, check your settings and try a new IP address. Use the same three number prefix, but a different fourth. It doesn't have to be 10 more, it could be 100 more, so long as its 254 or less and no other device on your network is using it.
** if all this and you STILL have issues, you actually COULD change the channel of your wifi router. Wifi broadcasts in the same realm of the electromagnetic spectrum as the wavelength of portable phones, wireless controlllers and, I suspect, the wiiU gamepad. You'll need to go into your router's settings, usually using a pc web browser, and change the channel it broadcasts on. It will be something like 1 to 11 or so. How you do it depends on your router's manufacturer, so you'll need to look up how based on that.

If this all made you heads spin, my bad! ^_^

Edited by Mighty_Dino, 08 August 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#15 wombateer

wombateer

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • NNID:wombateer
  • Fandom:
    Splinter Cell.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:38 AM

I just reset/turn off my router if things run slow, this usually results in things getting sorted.

#16 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:35 AM

Try moving the Wii U in the same room with your router. Otherwise, I'm not sure what could be causing the problem.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#17 Mighty_Dino

Mighty_Dino

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

His solution can solve some people's problem, like it did mine, though yeah, if you don't have much local traffic, just reboot everything. .

My WiiU was stealing my laptop's IP address, though I'm not sure why. Could be the router, but I've had it much longer than the WiiU and never had that issue.
Now it and the laptop are set to static and I'm no longer having the hang ups and random connection drops (which were happening to everything on my network).
Best guess I have: the WiiU has a problem sometimes with obtaining an ip from a router and can inadvertantly configure itself to an ip already in use, causing packets to drop and general networking brouhaha.

#18 Lebon14

Lebon14

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Fandom:
    Golden Sun and Touhou universe

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

He alo changed the DNS. Instead of using his ISP's (when nothing's there, that's what it does), he changed it for Google's DNS. (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4)
WiiU NNID : Lebon14, Friend invites will be ignored. I must know you first.
Rocketman, your rocketman
Fly with me, to the moon, to the stars my heart
Rocketman, your rocketman
Take you higher
♫ - "Rocketman" by Mega NRG Man (Super Eurobeat 217)

#19 Mighty_Dino

Mighty_Dino

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

He alo changed the DNS. Instead of using his ISP's (when nothing's there, that's what it does), he changed it for Google's DNS. (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4)

I forget that google has their own, thanks for clearing up the mystery dns!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!