• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#1 sitedude

sitedude

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Figured I would share this with everyone. Roger over at http://www.wiiuhacks.com has gotten Homebrew to run on the Wii U.

This should be quite interesting to follow over the next few weeks. Cant believe it was done so quickly!

#2 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

It's a little on the misleading side, as the Wii U is only running Wii Homebrew when it is in Wii mode using Wii exploits on a Wii game.

Edited by Tom, 19 November 2012 - 01:16 PM.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#3 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

So the Wii U is getting RE6 and a Metal Gear game seems legit, but the Yoshi's Island and Pokemon game don't. These could be the AAA ports in development for Wii U.

Edited by Emblem, 19 November 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#4 sitedude

sitedude

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

That would be awesome. I wonder if the Wii homebrew SS Exploit will allow it to run in Wii U mode. This reminds me of when the PS3 was hacked. Remember how they disabled GPU access in Linux?

#5 Nintendo

Nintendo

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Wait, someone tell me why this is a good thing?

Wait, someone tell me why this is a good thing?

#6 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

Awesome!!! Now I can run my backups.

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

^ dayum what a creative name

#7 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Wii mode will never allow for Wii U hacking.
And this is why Nintendo did it the way they did, separating it completely from the Wii U,

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#8 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

This didn't take long !

#9 sitedude

sitedude

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

It's only a matter of time. Just like the PS3, remember when they disabled GPU access if you installed linux (before they removed Other OS)

#10 Stormage09

Stormage09

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dexter, Walking Dead

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

yeah this makes possible to play the hacked wii games on your wii u , but you cant "hack" the wii u to play for free wi u games... yet :P
Posted Image

#11 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

It's actually very hilarious that someone managed this on day 1 :P

#12 Skywalkman-GB

Skywalkman-GB

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Fandom:
    ZELDA! + FPS

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

its not a full hack for the wii mode, its just a boot up sd card, you cannot install anything on the wii, no wads, no iso's, no nothing, no usb hack, so is basically useless, the hackers need to hack the system menu itself, which im in dought will happen, ps, Does anyone know how much memory the wii mode has? is it 512 still?

It would be good for me i must admit if they could, as what ive done with my red wii is install homebrew, and the usb hack, ive then installed all my games onto the usb drive, so the load times are reduced dramatically as you are loading from a usb not a disk, this type of use is just genuine use and not piracy, and as its a pal wii, i used the mod to be able to use ntsc versions of ZELDA, simply because

1. the NTSC version of twilight princess is clearer than the pal because of the interlacing problem in the pal version

2. the NTSC version of the Skyward Sword does not suffer from the stuttery videos especially at the game ending

For that reason it would be good to have homebrew on the wii u for wii mode

I wonder what the wii u upscaling is like, could our old games look even better?

Edited by Skywalkman-GB, 20 November 2012 - 01:37 AM.

NINTENDO Wii U ID = Skywalkman-GB

Gaming - Wii U Black 32GB - Pro Controller + Wii Red - PC - i5 2400K GTX460 SSC - Studio Setup - Korg microstation - Korg microsampler - Korg microkorg XL - Xenyx 1002 mixer - Boss SL-20 slicer
Find my own tracks, gaming videos etc here http://www.youtube.c...ce?feature=mhee

Posted Image

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

its not a full hack for the wii mode, its just a boot up sd card, you cannot install anything on the wii, no wads, no iso's, no nothing, no usb hack, so is basically useless, the hackers need to hack the system menu itself, which im in dought will happen, ps, Does anyone know how much memory the wii mode has? is it 512 still?

It would be good for me i must admit if they could, as what ive done with my red wii is install homebrew, and the usb hack, ive then installed all my games onto the usb drive, so the load times are reduced dramatically as you are loading from a usb not a disk, this type of use is just genuine use and not piracy, and as its a pal wii, i used the mod to be able to use ntsc versions of ZELDA, simply because

1. the NTSC version of twilight princess is clearer than the pal because of the interlacing problem in the pal version

2. the NTSC version of the Skyward Sword does not suffer from the stuttery videos especially at the game ending

For that reason it would be good to have homebrew on the wii u for wii mode

I wonder what the wii u upscaling is like, could our old games look even better?

THATS why some people were complaining about stuttering credits in SS.

Im not sure how the memory registers have been handled to make a wii environment.

The system has no 1tsram, let alone 24 Mb of it, and the main system ram was in no way shape or form designed for the task, although it is twice as fast as the 64 Mb gddr3 found in the wiis main mem. My guess is the 24 Mb1tsram, and the cpu's itsram cache are being replicated by the embedded ram on the mcm processors, We know its way faster and has even lower latency, we know of at least, the gpu's embedded ram, and thats 32 Mb, thats more than the entirety of wiis 1tsram, both its main pool and its cpu cache.... And thats not even counting the cpu's proprietary embedded ibm ram (only other processor that has this specific ibm ram technology is power 7) which, even with just a couple hundred kilobytes, has psychotic bandwidth through the roof with practically no latency.

In the iwata asks they said they acheived wii bc by simply adding wii specific circuits to the wiiu cpu, 1+1, or where possible making certain circuits modular, so they can switch from wiiu to wii functionality (for things like dual pairs). So they probably added in wii u memory registers, or have the wii u's modular so they can emulate wii's.

That memory is the main problem with wii compatability. IBM's cpu's have all been mostly bc for a long time, powerisa of the newest super computers ppcv 7 can recognize code from gamecube/wii ppc 1.0something. So wii u's ppc 6 or 7, will definately be able to run wii cpu code, provided it has the right instructions that were wii specific added back in.

The gpu is programmable shader now (Finally, Nintendos first programmable shader gpu), which makes emulating a fixed function pipeline a piece of cake, cause.... its programmable. All you need is the knowledge of the original api's and how it was fixed, and you program your shader pipeline to match the fixed funxtion pipeline of the wii.

Its the memory heiarchy thats made the wii so tough to emulate despite it being such a weak system. That 1tsram and caches forming wii's mem heiarchy are just plain blazing fast, and until fairly recent times, most off the shelf pc ram just couldnt cut the bandwidth unless you had what was considered a lot for the time.

Since Nintendos got the Memory speed and latency covered with its top tier high speed low capacity memory, It should be just fine.

Which means homebrewers just got to play the game of spot the differences to get back into wii u's wii. Few ram dumps should go a long way. Of course that doesnt say anything about hacking the wii u itself.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

Hmm yes yes, that's all well and good, but:

Discussion of piracy and ways to obtain, create, or play ROM's/ISO's is strictly forbidden.

Reported for piracy discussion. Normally I'd let this stuff slide, but that was back when the activity of the forum was low. Now that the Wii U is out, we should lead by example. No offence to the TC, I'm sure nothing of malicious intent was meant by presenting the topic matter.

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 20 November 2012 - 05:53 AM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#15 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

wow, i have never been on a forum so strict, with users so obsessed with following the rules in my entire life.

#16 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

It's true, I'm not usually strict. However, the entire time I've been on this forum it's been relatively peaceful in comparison to others. I'd like to maintain that peace by shutting down what could turn into slander. The recent influx of members means more opportunity for members who don't understand one another to break into terribly made arguments, using topics like this as a potential basis.

I'd like to think I've taken a more peaceful approach as to what would have been.

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 20 November 2012 - 06:24 AM.

AuzzieWingman.png

#17 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

wow, i have never been on a forum so strict, with users so obsessed with following the rules in my entire life.

I would't call not wanted to get a letter from Nintendo strict - its against the rules since piracy and hacking is in all aspects illegal my friend. It would be like going on a dating website and talking about how someone you know raped someone and having a big old fun topic about it. That doesn't happen and neither should this. Sorry.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#18 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

It's true, I'm not usually strict. However, the entire time I've been on this forum it's been relatively peaceful in comparison to others. I'd like to maintain that peace by shutting down what could turn into slander. The recent influx of members means more opportunity for members who don't understand one another to break into terribly made arguments, using topics like this as a potential basis.

I'd like to think I've taken a more peaceful approach as to what would have been.

Yeah i thought it was bit odd that you were being strict. At least you have some good logic behind it unlike most of other people who complain about rule breaking.

I would't call not wanted to get a letter from Nintendo strict - its against the rules since piracy and hacking is in all aspects illegal my friend. It would be like going on a dating website and talking about how someone you know raped someone and having a big old fun topic about it. That doesn't happen and neither should this. Sorry.

ok thats all fine and well that it is illegal, but i think having a light hearted chat about piracy and a light hearted chat about rape, are two completly different issues on two completely different levels.

Also, im not really complaining about this particular issue, but more about people constantly "reporting" each other on here for small, petty, or stupid reasons (again not aiming at this topic in particular since Auzzie Wingman gave a good reason that was more than just "cuz it beaks the rules")

Edited by Hunter, 20 November 2012 - 06:51 AM.

#19 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

I don't want to sound like a smart ass, but define rape.

AuzzieWingman.png

#20 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

Posted Image

Rules are there for a reason, and that reason is to be followed. Wasn't aware it was a horrible problem to follow the rules of the forum.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!