Photo

You could download the day 1 update in the background all along...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Etkar

Etkar

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

Just a heads up for people who want to play their new console immediately and still update it.
Last night, I set mine up and hit “cancel” at the first mention of the update. We played Nintendoland for a while and then I went to update it. To my surprise, it skipped downloading and simply started installing it. It took less than 15 minutes.

The best part is that it only downloads it. If your power goes down then the download will simply stop. Your Wii U will not be bricked...but I guess it's a little bit too late now isn't it? ^_^

Source

Edited by Etkar, 20 November 2012 - 07:55 AM.

#2 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

A piece of stirring news indeed.

On the one hand, people can feel free to know their Wii U won't brick on them. On the other, the rage... it seethes.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#3 Nintendo

Nintendo

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

Wow, nice

#4 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

Ouch, that like a kick in the soft bits for people who bricked thier system.

#5 SILV3RSCORPION

SILV3RSCORPION

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Fandom:
    Borderlands , Metroid Prime

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

Nice find Etkar, as i'm in the UK this post has been a godsend and i'm glad i can go on killin' zombies while the update takes place ;)
Posted Image
NNID - SILV3RSC0RPI0N

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

k tnx, goku and i will know for the 30th ;D

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 Flop

Flop

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

This is why I'm thankful I didn't get the console on launch day.

#8 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

People didnt know this? Wow, that sucks.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#9 Etkar

Etkar

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Nice find Etkar, as i'm in the UK this post has been a godsend and i'm glad i can go on killin' zombies while the update takes place ;)

k tnx, goku and i will know for the 30th ;D

It's godsend for me too as I live in Norway. xD I was pretty worried when they said that the update was, like, 5GB. :P

#10 sloutendo

sloutendo

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Yeah, well people who go pull power cable out of their Wii U console don't have much in their heads. That is simply outrageous, since i believe noone don't turn power off when they're installing Windows or perhaps during bios update. No wonder that console is bricked after such act...

#11 x-SourApple-x

x-SourApple-x

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Someone already posted this somewhere over the weekend. Old news.
http://www.youtube.com/oswingaming
https://twitter.com/OswinGaming

I have sold my Wii U, so if I deleted you from NN before I sold it, or haven't accepted your friend request since, this is why.

#12 Jeremygts

Jeremygts

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Lol try doing day 1 update with 2 kids that just want to play... that hour felt like 3!

#13 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Yeah, well people who go pull power cable out of their Wii U console don't have much in their heads. That is simply outrageous, since i believe noone don't turn power off when they're installing Windows or perhaps during bios update. No wonder that console is bricked after such act...

Umm... I guess you've never heard of power cuts. They do happen.

#14 dyatir

dyatir

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Fandom:
    Super Smash Bros, Mario, Legend of Zelda

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

It's godsend for me too as I live in Norway. xD I was pretty worried when they said that the update was, like, 5GB. :P

It's Just About 1GB, people taught it's 5GB because Nintendo's servers were over loaded because it was launch

#15 reef7009

reef7009

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

Ahh the internet lol dont u just love it! Oh and now the bricking issue is resolved , some article has popped up about a slow cpu?! Lol utter rubbish! Il be picking up my pre orderded wii u on the 30th. Period

#16 blu gamepad

blu gamepad

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

http://aussie-gamer....discussion_id=0

Here's a link I read pretty much summing up the same things as the OP's link. Pretty hilarious stuff when you think about it. So basically, the Wii U goes into "Not-brick mode to finish the update, said user gets no response from wii u because of the autopilot mode, user cries "brick!" and the rest is history.

See Nintendo, this is why things should be a bit more spelled out next time. Have a flashing icon or something like how my ipod shows a battery logo to letting me know it works, so the next time something like this happens, and the user never stumbled upon an article like this, he won't go into panic mode and blog the wall street journal causing mass panic, okay? Great. :)

Edit: I also think this is one of those rare instances where the 3DS did this a lot better by having choice number 2 say "download later" rather than the ultra vague "Cancel", which for most average joes translates to "Cancel Download outright"

Gotta word that better, man!

Edited by blu gamepad, 20 November 2012 - 05:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!