Photo

Can you watch AVI / MPEG4 on a Wii U gamepad?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mightymouse

mightymouse

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:39 AM

Hi there.

as the title suggests is it possible for the Wii U to play avi or other formats of ripped dvds from the hard drive?

more specifically can I watch these movies on the gamepad?

Like what you can do on a PSP or VITA.

Thanks...

#2 illogicology

illogicology

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:03 AM

No, the WiiU has no built in media player functions aside from its various video streaming services.

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:51 AM

Yes.
You can use applications like playon, tversity and such on your PERSONAL COMPUTER CONNECTED TO THE SAME NETWORK AS THE WII U IS, to use the WII U'S WEB BROWSER'S HTML5 VIDEO/AUDIO/IMG FUNCTIONALITY to watch all the music, videos, and pictures YOU OWN AND HAVE ON YOUR PERSONAL COMPUTER CONNECTED TO THE SAME NETWORK AS THE WII U IS.

The trick will be finding one to transcode your avi's and mp4's either on the fly or otherwise to either webm, ogg/h264, or whatever formats the wii u's browser supports.

Edited by Nollog, 28 November 2012 - 04:53 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 flowerlandfilms

flowerlandfilms

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

But will the introduction of Tvii [iiiiiiiiii] and its DVR compatibility also mean i can watch things straight off a hard drive? I hope so.

Edited by flowerlandfilms, 28 November 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#5 dyatir

dyatir

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Fandom:
    Super Smash Bros, Mario, Legend of Zelda

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

No

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

No, the WiiU has no built in media player functions aside from its various video streaming services.

WRONG

But will the introduction of Tvii [iiiiiiiiii] and its DVR compatibility also mean i can watch things straight off a hard drive? I hope so.

Nope.

No

WRONG

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 illogicology

illogicology

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

I wasn't wrong. A complex workaround that works by accessing outside services through the browser is not the same thing, not even close, and is very unlikely to be the kind of functionality OP was asking about.

#8 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

I wasn't wrong. A complex workaround that works by accessing outside services through the browser is not the same thing, not even close, and is very unlikely to be the kind of functionality OP was asking about.

It's how most people did it on the other consoles when they were first released without playback of some filetypes like the Ps3 and matroska h264 files.

How is leaving a computer on and double-clicking a program complex?

Edited by Nollog, 28 November 2012 - 12:16 PM.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#9 flowerlandfilms

flowerlandfilms

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Nope.

Based on what information?

#10 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Based on what information?

Based on the lack of information.

The USB drive is formatted to a format PC's can't read, so you can't put things on there by PC.
The comments made by Nintendo say it's purely a Service, not offering any of the media themselves, just linking and collecting it all in one place, letting you launch hulu, netflix, etc.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#11 illogicology

illogicology

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

It's how most people did it on the other consoles when they were first released without playback of some filetypes like the Ps3 and matroska h264 files.
How is leaving a computer on and double-clicking a program complex?

That people used it for other consoles is totally irrelevant to the point I'm making which is that firstly, it's not a feature of the console and is simply a workaround that can be achieved via the browser and secondly, not what the OP was asking since he specified that we was talking about files from the hard drive. You know perfectly well what the guy was asking and that the answer is no.

Can the Wii U play video files on the gamepad? No. It's a simple question. Yes you can play video files on your PC, and use third party software to view them on the Wii U's browser (probably, haven't heard of anyone actually doing it yet) but that is not the same thing.

Leaving a computer on a double clicking a program isn't complex, but those aren't the only steps and the more steps there are, the further and further it goes from being a reasonable proposition for most people. It's complex because it's a lot more fiddly and time consuming than loading videos on to a PSP/Vita which is the type of support the guy was asking about.

#12 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

That people used it for other consoles is totally irrelevant to the point I'm making which is that firstly, it's not a feature of the console and is simply a workaround that can be achieved via the browser and secondly, not what the OP was asking since he specified that we was talking about files from the hard drive. You know perfectly well what the guy was asking and that the answer is no.

Can the Wii U play video files on the gamepad? No. It's a simple question. Yes you can play video files on your PC, and use third party software to view them on the Wii U's browser (probably, haven't heard of anyone actually doing it yet) but that is not the same thing.

Leaving a computer on a double clicking a program isn't complex, but those aren't the only steps and the more steps there are, the further and further it goes from being a reasonable proposition for most people. It's complex because it's a lot more fiddly and time consuming than loading videos on to a PSP/Vita which is the type of support the guy was asking about.

She asked:

Hi there.

as the title suggests is it possible for the Wii U to play avi or other formats of ripped dvds from the hard drive?

more specifically can I watch these movies on the gamepad?

Like what you can do on a PSP or VITA.

Thanks...

Yes it is possible, and you can do it from the browser.
Not yet, as the hard drive needs to be formatted to your wii u console.

I missed the hard drive part when I first read it.
It's not a feature Nintendo offer themselves, like netflix or youtube, but there is third party software which does it and Nintendo do allow it.

Edited by Nollog, 28 November 2012 - 02:10 PM.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#13 SNES

SNES

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

I haven't found any programs that will let me stream content from my PC to my Wii U, yet. Some work for the Wii, but apparently the way the Wii U handles things in the browser/operating system are different enough that those programs aren't compatible. If there is one that actually does work, I'd be interested to try it out.

#14 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

I don't know, but I warn you all, this thread will be locked if piracy advice becomes an issue.

#15 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

Nollog has summed up everything you asked for quite aptly.

Beyond that, since Nintendo probably has no interest in releasing a media player, just wait for the wii u to be hacked. The open source delivers. Always.

Whelp, open source working faster than i thought. We might have a record for completely breaking a system and paving the way for homebrew.

Just need to get past 'starbuck'.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#16 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

Nollog has summed up everything you asked for quite aptly.

Beyond that, since Nintendo probably has no interest in releasing a media player, just wait for the wii u to be hacked. The open source delivers. Always.

Whelp, open source working faster than i thought. We might have a record for completely breaking a system and paving the way for homebrew.

Just need to get past 'starbuck'.

You edited without an edit message appearing? :(
Wish I could do that, I keep making typos.

Piracy isn't an issue here, nobody is asking where to download movies. They're asking how they can watch what they own on their console, legitimately.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#17 wiiuboss

wiiuboss

Goomba

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

So if I use a program like tversity, I type in an IP address in the Wii U browser and it will play the TV show - will it appear on the Gamepad or the Wii U main screen?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!