• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mayhem13

mayhem13

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

Has anyone had their machine start giving Invalid Disc errors.  This is more troubling then the freezing as the freezing can be easily fixed.  Invalid read errors are likely due to hardware issues with the disc drive.

First let me say that when I got my Wii U, it never gave me invalid disc errors on Wii or Wii U games.  Suddenly two nights ago.  I got one playing my new Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 video game.  The disc was clean and inserted properly.  In fact it was only the second time I had put the game in the system.  So I took it out, put it back in.  This time, it wouldn't even recognize the disc.  Took it out again put it back in, this time it read perfectly, started up and played.  So I thought, ok, maybe the disc is bad.

Then today, I go to play Nintendoland which has played perfect since I got the system.  Invalid Disc.  Took it out, reinserted it and this time it played properly.

That tells me, the problem isn't the discs and since they were working fine for about a week, it doesn't appear to be the menu or firmware.  It seems very likely to be a faulty drive.  My concern is if I am getting this now after having the unit less then two weeks.  What will happen in 3 months.  Will I totally lose the ability to read discs.

This is very disheartening, I really liked the Wii U and the games I played, I liked the GamePad.  I felt it was a good system aside from the freezing issues that I had three times since getting the unit.  But a system with a broken/faulty disc drive.  That's far worse.  That's a worthless unit.

So I'm just asking has anyone else had this problem?  I saw one video on youtube which is exactly what I'm experiencing, it shows the picture of the game in the disc channel.  But says Invalid Disc instead of showing the title.  I also notice that if I leave the disc in the drive.  Turn off the unit and then turn on the unit later.  I have a much greater chance of getting this invalid disc error.

Anyone else, any info?

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

Plug the console out for 30 minutes and plug it back in, has solved the issue with one youtuber, and was the advice he got from NoA.
http://www.youtube.c...QsY1OxGU#t=200s

Edited by Nollog, 29 November 2012 - 05:16 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

Plug the console out for 30 minutes and plug it back in, has solved the issue with one youtuber, and was the advice he got from NoA.
http://www.youtube.c...QsY1OxGU#t=200s

Is this Nintendo's way of forcing players to take a break?

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#4 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Forza, Gears of War

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

Hmm interestingly enough this happened to me for the first time last night. I played Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper for a couple hours, then ZombiU for about an hour, then I put in my CoD BO2 disc and it said "Invalid Disc" below the picture. What's strange is, it knew it was the CoD BO2 disc because it showed the correct icon image. I clicked it and it came up with some message saying to eject it blah blah (cant remember exact verbage) so I ejected the disc/reinserted it and it worked fine. Kind of strange but it's the only time it's happened so I'm going to chalk it up to a one-time issue.
Posted Image

#5 Camnak11

Camnak11

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

I had the same issue with black ops 2 when I first got the wii u, happened once and hasn't happened again in over the week that I have had the system... Weird I wouldn't worry so much about it though...

#6 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

I've not had any problems so far, *touches wood*, but still, I would just unplug it for a bit and see how that goes

#7 mayhem13

mayhem13

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

Thanks for the replies and advice.  I'll give it a try if it happens again.  There is a forum discusson on Nintendo Of America's official forum.  It's not normal, but it is happening to some people infrequently.  According to the people on the forums, advice from the official Nintendo customer support ranged from the pull the plug for awhile method.  To sending the system in for repair.  I always hate errors that are infrequent only because they are hard to diagnose and repair.  What if you send the machine to Nintendo, they can't replicate the problem.  They send it back with a clean bill of health and then it does the error again once you have it back.  At least constant errors or obvious problems are there and easier to diagnose and fix.

Nonetheless, I'll try not to worry for now.

#8 jazzuri

jazzuri

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Hmm interestingly enough this happened to me for the first time last night. I played Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper for a couple hours, then ZombiU for about an hour, then I put in my CoD BO2 disc and it said "Invalid Disc" below the picture. What's strange is, it knew it was the CoD BO2 disc because it showed the correct icon image. I clicked it and it came up with some message saying to eject it blah blah (cant remember exact verbage) so I ejected the disc/reinserted it and it worked fine. Kind of strange but it's the only time it's happened so I'm going to chalk it up to a one-time issue.

Same..
This happened when I first setup my unit. Didnt try before patch only after installing.
It happened with nintendo land and blops 2 yesterday (1st day) hasnt happened since. I am keeping an eye on it and if it occurs again I will be taking it back.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!