• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:17 AM

Soo ... what DOES it share with the 750?? Because at this point, you've pointed out the differences (45 nm design, supports SPP, uses EDRAM). Is Nintendo/IBM trolling those like you who are experts by using the name 750 when it shares almost nothing with the actual chip that came out in 2004?

Its completely binary compatable with the 750 cl (broadway) has the same.unique simd/fp architecture (paired singles), everything it needs.to be.fully bc compatable with the wii.

So it has a LOT in common. What we need to know is what is different, aside from obvious stuff, like unprecedented clock speed and smp, we know nothing, and it doesnt help that ibm stopped publically posting updates to the family in 2004.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#42 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

Why would Nintendo release another system that's a generation behind if they were going after the core crowd?

Well, since wii console, nintendo become cheeky... Sell cheap hardware and they make lots of money.. both hardware and software... And please dont tell me its at loss... no its not.

Thats why so mysticism around it... Its not that they have "attitude" and they dont speak about it, they just want it to sell as many as they can... And after 6months or a year, we may learn what exactly wii U (tech) is... If they succeed 5-10 million sales, is going to be profitable...

The only positive thing on wii U, is the luck of overheating and RIP, like 360 and ps3... With this clocks nobody have to fear about anything... I knew that something is wrong, when I saw the passive heatsink... passive heatsink = underpowered..

* passive heatsink = without fan, because it does not produce lots of heat = low clocks... And I dont think wii U can be OC'ed because of that... The passive heatsink.

And here how a normal heatsink looks like, it blows the heat away and refresh's with cool air. Anybody could tweak his wii U and attach a fan on the passive heatsink...be cooler and less buggy (some times)... but you void the warranty.

Edited by Orion, 02 December 2012 - 05:38 AM.

#43 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

I don't know why you are saying the hardware is cheap, maybe our definitions of the word is different. The Wii U doesn't feel cheap, feels well constructed. The OS has a premium look and feel compared to the Wii.

Now if you literally mean cost, Iwata said initially they are selling at a loss. The Gameapad isn't cheap, the GPGPU is very powerful, so obvioisly cheaper than a CPU it probably wasn't "cheap". And remember, the Wii U starts out fifty dollars more than the Wii, snd that was "cheap" to produce. And you can't tell me the Wii U is cheaper to research, with how much it probably cost to work out the controller (which was almost scrapped).

So is it cheaper than what they could have done? Sure is. But that doesn't mean it isn't being sold at s loss or for cost, meaning they aren't making a profit.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#44 Bunkei

Bunkei

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

It's also worth mentioning that with the success of the Wii and the long relationship Nintendo has with IBM, would mean favorable terms in as regards to cost for Nintendo. People may assume that since the hardware is "cheap" compared to its competitors, the hardware is no good. However, it's more logical that Nintendo may get a better deal from IBM compared to its competitors.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo has a clause in its contract that certain technologies in the Wii U will not be used in other consoles.

#45 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

It's also worth mentioning that with the success of the Wii and the long relationship Nintendo has with IBM, would mean favorable terms in as regards to cost for Nintendo. People may assume that since the hardware is "cheap" compared to its competitors, the hardware is no good. However, it's more logical that Nintendo may get a better deal from IBM compared to its competitors.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo has a clause in its contract that certain technologies in the Wii U will not be used in other consoles.

I am sure. However, in the case of IBM, they are exclusively working witg Nintendo this time. The others are choosing othef companies.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!