Photo

HDMI SUPPORTS DOLBY 5.1 WHY NO DOLBY NINTENDO?!?!?!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 wthnintendo

wthnintendo

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Gamers have been playing HD games since before the wii using their current 5.1 capable audio setups. I think it's completely unacceptable that they didn't even accomodate for their new console to support Dolby 5.1. HDMI is even capable of transmitting that format! Why didn't they even add support for that format? Thats weird for real, just gotta be video games now eh! Right on man. GET REAL NINTENDO YOU DISSAPOINT ME GREATLY!

For those who will post justifying their decision to not even allow DOLBY 5.1 your wrong!

Edited by wthnintendo, 30 November 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#2 Luca

Luca

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

What is Dolby? What other game system has Dolby? Why would they incorporate something that very few people will use? Yeah.

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

I thought it does support 5.1
What does Dolby add to it?

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Posted Image

#5 wthnintendo

wthnintendo

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Your kidding right very few people use Dolby just every gamer that has played console and Pc games thats what Dolby is or DTS.

No it supports LPCM AND ONLY THAT WHICH IS MY POINT. DOLBY DIGITAL HAS BEEN THE MAIN SURROUND SOUND CODE SINCE SURROUND EXISTED. Now even though the wii u has the hardware to support it they didn't thus every gamer that has been playing in surround sound has to upgrade their Audio hardware. NOT ACCEPTABLE!

THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THAT PERIOD.

Edited by wthnintendo, 30 November 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#6 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

Gamers have been playing HD games since before the wii using their current 5.1 capable audio setups. I think it's completely unacceptable that they didn't even accomodate for their new console to support Dolby 5.1. HDMI is even capable of transmitting that format! Why didn't they even add support for that format? Thats weird for real, just gotta be video games now eh! Right on man. GET REAL NINTENDO YOU DISSAPOINT ME GREATLY!
For those who will post justifying their decision to not even allow DOLBY 5.1 your wrong!

I suggest you actually do some research in future before jumping to conclusions.

http://thewiiu.com/topic/7534-wii-u-surround-sound-problem-solved/

#7 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Posted Image

Just what I gathered after looking at the username, title of the thread, first post of the thread, and the fact that this isn't a real issue. I'm fairly certain my Wii U works with my surround sound system just fine.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#8 wthnintendo

wthnintendo

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

NO!

I suggest you actually do some research in future before jumping to conclusions.

http://thewiiu.com/t...problem-solved/

NO! People with optical outs on their tvs cannot enable 5.1 and that is a vastly large community your a smart kid.

Just what I gathered after looking at the username, title of the thread, first post of the thread, and the fact that this isn't a real issue. I'm fairly certain my Wii U works with my surround sound system just fine.

Oh im sure it does too.....;)
Wii supported dolby pro logic 2 and the wii u does too but no dolby 5.1 wtfudge is that LPCM only you need a HDMI passthrough reciever for that!

#9 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

NO!
NO! People with optical outs on their tvs cannot enable 5.1 and that is a vastly large community your a smart kid.

I suggest you stop being sarcastic and insulting people. While you're at it stop trolling too. First of all the number of people who have and use the optical out on a TV is hardly huge. Secondly that's hardly an ideal way to get surround sound. Maybe Nintendo should have included an optical out on the Wii U but what you said in your original post is wrong as the the Wii U does support DD 5.1 all be it through HDMI. If you're serious in getting surround sound out of your Wii U you'll either invest in a proper surround sound solution like a surround sound amp with HDMI inputs or get an HDMI to optical convert. Now go troll somewhere else.

#10 wthnintendo

wthnintendo

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

I suggest you stop being sarcastic and insulting people. While you're at it stop trolling too. First of all the number of people who have and use the optical out on a TV is hardly huge. Secondly that's hardly an ideal way to get surround sound. Maybe Nintendo should have included an optical out on the Wii U but what you said in your original post is wrong as the the Wii U does support DD 5.1 all be it through HDMI. If you're serious in getting surround sound out of your Wii U you'll either invest in a proper surround sound solution like a surround sound amp with HDMI inputs or get an HDMI to optical convert. Now go troll somewhere else.

No your wrong it supports LPCM ONLY! Through HDMI anyone with a optical from their tv to reciever is screwed so if you think thats not a gamer base worth considering than join the nintendo train and buy a HDMI INPUT receiver and enjoy the $399 for assuming the rights of gamers other than yourself are less important. IT IS UNACCEPTABLE! PERIOD!

#11 Ecorsbie

Ecorsbie

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

I never use a device regardless if its a console or a blue ray player to do my decoding...I always use my audio video receiver. My a/v receiver is better at decoding.

#12 metroidmen

metroidmen

Goomba

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

He's right guys, unfortunately. I learned when my surround system didn't work. And I've NEVER had a problem.

#13 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

I don't mind at all.

#14 flowerlandfilms

flowerlandfilms

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

LPCM = Lossless.
Lossless = Better.

#15 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

It is disappointing that wii u doesn't support Dolby 5.1 or DTS and has no coaxial or optical output but these specs have been known from the beginning. It is even more disappointing if it doesn't support dolby prologic though like the wii for wii u games. So basically on my setup wii games might have better sound than wii u games.

I have a samsung home theatre system in my living room with optical input and a yamaha setup upstairs with both optical and coaxial and no plans to upgrade either. However both support dolby prologic which I have used for wii games with reasonable results.

It's worth pointing out the ps2, original xbox, xbox 360, ps3, pc, tablets and many other devices support 5.1 sound.

A usb to 5.1 sound card for pc's is like 80p delivered with coaxial 5.1 output.

http://www.buyincoin...roduct-211.html

It would not have cost Nintendo much to say the least to have fitted a discreet 5.1 coaxial socket somewhere on the wii u and allowed support for dolby 5.1 setups.

So just to clarify if you run wii games on a wii u both hdmi output and the original AV connector are active so you can have hdmi wii images and prologic II sound. Nice!

Wii u games only have standard stereo sound unless you hook up to a hdmi 5.1 cinema system. Bad!

So bascially for my setups I get stereo sound only from wii u games and have to use my amplifiers fake pseudo surround modes to enhance sound.

Even the snes had dolby surround on its 2 channel output. The forerunner of dolby prologic.

Good info here;

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=500865

#16 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Is there a fee to have Dolby? That could be why Nintendo didn't include ot.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#17 wthnintendo

wthnintendo

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

You know what gets me is the wii u hardware is able to support Dolby Digital through HDMI they just didn't add it. So as my saying goes:

NO 5.1 AT ALL = CRAPPY

It's like they went; Well we decided to make our console to support only LPCM so that our customers get the best quality sound because we certainly intend to accomodate for the most serious gamers with advanced audio hardware and screw all the rest of our fanbase.

When the fact is every other console out there has supported Dolby Digital compressed 5.1 format since games in surround sound existed and now nintendo is saying no LPCM only because Loseless = better

Lets give a hand for nintendo for always being loyal to people first as oppossed to hardcore gamers.

I'm emailing nintendo right now to request a resolution for this lack of optical transmittable 5.1.

Thanks again for your support.

Edited by wthnintendo, 01 December 2012 - 09:45 AM.

#18 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

The Wii U is 5.1 if your amp has DTS & Dolby Digital then it will support PCM which is the same as LPCM.

I have posted a video here in this thread http://thewiiu.com/t...problem-solved/ with all the info.

The Wii U will not be able to have a optical output because there is no way to split the audio from a HDMI cable unless you spend a fortune on a expensive converter that will cost more than a amp would do.

#19 wthnintendo

wthnintendo

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

The Wii U is 5.1 if your amp has DTS & Dolby Digital then it will support PCM which is the same as LPCM.

I have posted a video here in this thread http://thewiiu.com/t...problem-solved/ with all the info.

The Wii U will not be able to have a optical output because there is no way to split the audio from a HDMI cable unless you spend a fortune on a expensive converter that will cost more than a amp would do.

Actually the problem is with nintendos choice to use LPCM as the main and ONLY digital output if they had allowed for multiple such as add DTS or Dolby 5.1 then the optical cord would be able to do 5.1 instead of 2.0 because optical cords can only do transmit PCM output at 2.0 where as it can do Dolby digital and DTS at 5.1.

My concern is that while every other console does those and nintendo went aaaaannnnggkkkss! LPCM only screw you to everyone that has a fully functional and capable audio setup and has been using surround sound since it existed.

Edited by wthnintendo, 01 December 2012 - 10:43 AM.

#20 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

if your amp can decode DTS & Dolby Digital then it should decode PCM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!