• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

So everyone seems to think the Wii U will be a GPGPU monster. Probably the best use of the GPU is being able to handle physics for a lot of objects. So instead of 100 objects with cpu acceleration, you could have 1000 objects or more with gpu acceleration. However because of all the extra objects to draw, overall performance will actually be worse.

And you will be able to make some cool effects with the GPU that you couldn't so much on the CPU. But while the GPU is flying through all of this, the framerate will probably be limited by the CPU and rather low.

Things like AI would make more sense to be done on the CPU. The possibilities of the GPGPU are limited because it's impractical to make more than a few effects on it.

GPU acceleration will improve the game if it is used. You should notice a difference in some graphics. But if the XBox 720 or PS4 offer any form of GPU accleration, which isn't really that hard, it will probably blow the Wii U away.

#2 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Physics will likely mostly be handled on cpu. Hell Nintendo had its on proprietary working version of DMM running on wii that did more for gameplay than dmm EVER saw on ps360.

I dont think nintendo ever had any intention of making a system that would handle soft body physics for 1000 objects.

GPgpu functionality would lilely be little more than covering the cpu's weakpoints, simd/fp/vector.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#3 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

Maybe you're right. I am just going by my pc knowledge. And I have only read one article on the Wii U GPGPU, which sounded a lot like PC.

#4 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

It will be fine. Nintendo isnt one to market certain things or make them know to the public. the fact that they revealed the Wii U would be using a GPGPU means they are proud of what they have. easily put the GPU will be the STAR of all the insides and tech of the Wii U. im predicting gpu with very modern 2011-2012 architecture. thats why final dev kits wasnt sent out until july of this year. just wait until next year games guys.... especially 1st party. they are gonna be SPECIAL.

Edited by GAMER1984, 01 December 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#5 Bunkei

Bunkei

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Also .. consider this. Nintendo could indirectly influence the development of the PS4/X720. They're selling a console that is considerably more powerful than the current consoles with the unique gamechanger (gamepad) for $300. Now Sony/Microsoft have the issue of a) keeping their next consoles affordable compared to the Wii U and .. B) of course, you want to have a powerful console as well. That's going to be tough because if you throw away a), then the question is going to be "is the difference between the Wii U and its competitors warrant the extra $100-200 and no gamepad?" Sony had the Blu Ray to justify the price, but obviously that's not going to work this time. Microsoft will have kinect, but call me skeptic for believing that the Kinect will sway people to buy Microsoft's console.

#6 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

It will be fine. Nintendo isnt one to market certain things or make them know to the public. the fact that they revealed the Wii U would be using a GPGPU means they are proud of what they have. easily put the GPU will be the STAR of all the insides and tech of the Wii U. im predicting gpu with very modern 2011-2012 architecture. thats why final dev kits wasnt sent out until july of this year. just wait until next year games guys.... especially 1st party. they are gonna be SPECIAL.

oh boy....

Maybe turn down the bleeding tech less than a year old gpu knob a click or two.

Metroid prime 4 is going to blow minds. Even without an impossibly modern gpu.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#7 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

What cracks me up about people comparing the specs to PC specs..is...its not the same thing - they are custom components ...and also take your average PC game and look at the min/max requirements...while you do have monsters like Far Cry and Crysis - most average game specs are on par with whats packed into the Wii U.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#8 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

oh boy....

why is that? If they had a GPGPU they were customizing and didnt send out final dev kits until july 2012.... is it impossible to think they couldnt have put 2011 standard gpu features in their GPGPU. i think its more than possible.

oh boy....

why is that? If they had a GPGPU they were customizing and didnt send out final dev kits until july 2012.... is it impossible to think they couldnt have put 2011 standard gpu features in their GPGPU. i think its more than possible.

#9 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

I love this console so far, I've had no freezes, my update plus all my game updates took less than an hour, my OS is not slow at all, matter of fact I think it's quicker than my 360's and I think the graphics are epic for release day games, I've had no framerate dips at all. I'm very satisfied with my purchase, thanks Ninty :D

P.S. MiiVerse is awesome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!