• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OneManTagTeam

OneManTagTeam

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

I contacted Nintendo about redownloading games purchased from the eshop to a new external HDD this is the reply:

"We can confirm that the entitlement for the game is linked to the console not to the external hard drive. As long as the eShop account is not deleted on the console it is possible to re-download the game on a different hard drive. Re-downloading the game will not restore any saved game data that may of been on the previous hard drive.

We wish you a happy gaming experience."

#2 Legend_Killa7

Legend_Killa7

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

I contacted Nintendo about redownloading games purchased from the eshop to a new external HDD this is the reply:

"We can confirm that the entitlement for the game is linked to the console not to the external hard drive. As long as the eShop account is not deleted on the console it is possible to re-download the game on a different hard drive. Re-downloading the game will not restore any saved game data that may of been on the previous hard drive.

We wish you a happy gaming experience."

this makes no sense to me. so my friend downloads SMB U onto his external hard drive. I then bring my external hard drive to his house and he downloads to mine. I can now play it on my Wii U when I plug my external hard drive into it?

I mean they go out of their way to link purchases to consoles (so if you upgrade your Wii U at a later date like I did with my PS3, you can no longer use content you purchased) but somethign like this can be done? makes absolutely no sense to me!?!?! Can some one explain?

#3 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

As I understand it, either the hard drives are encrypted to the console you formatted them on or the downloads themselves are. They simply will not work on a different console.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 06 December 2012 - 02:43 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#4 Lethal

Lethal

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

As I understand it, either the hard drives are encrypted to the console you formatted them on or the downloads themselves are. They simply will not work on a different console.

This exactly correct. If you were able to copy games to other hard drives, everyone would pirate all the games. It makes perfect sense as to why Nintendo locks the external hard drive to the console that formatted it.

#5 Nightbane30

Nightbane30

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • NNID:Nightbane30
  • Fandom:
    KINGDOM HEARTS!!!!!! RPG LOVER, ANIME

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

What they said.
When you use a hard drive on a Wii U console, it forces you to format it, locking it so only that Wii U console can have access to it.
Posted Image

I am me! Nobody else!
I also have an account on 3DSForums.com and my username is the same there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!