WiiUWiiUWii Like a Cop Car

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Capcom, EA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

http://www.extremete...ot-great-either

I've just read through this and the system specs are a little underwhelming...
I would have made my purchase anyway despite these specs if they were available..

What are your thoughts?
Is it possible an update would make this machine use more power and run more intensely?

#2 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Did you just make a new topic on this? Didnt see the 5 page one?

Im not too worried about it. There is more than just clock speed to power.

Clock speed is the number of cycles per second. More important than that, is the number of instructions per cycle.

And the 750 series rapes xenon in that aspect.

Xenon can perform one instruction per thread in a cycle. Each core has 2 threads, and there are 3 cores, thats 6 instructions a cycle.

Assuming the wii u cpu is just 3 broadways taped together (which its not):

Broadway got six instructions per cycle on its one core. A tricore would have 18 instructions a cycle to 360's 6.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#3 WiiUWiiUWii Like a Cop Car

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Capcom, EA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

I did not notice but I am going through it now..

I guess this is kind of different because I'm going off this one article..

And that is great insight to the potential of this hardware, thanks for replying...
I really wanted some comments such as yours that would shed light on how it obtains gains with this new GPU setup...
Thanks..

Edited by WiiUWiiUWii Like a Cop Car, 05 December 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#4 quaddelta

quaddelta

Goomba

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Bottom line: a baseball is many time smaller than a football but you can get a decent, if not equal, amount of fun!

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

I did not notice but I am going through it now..

I guess this is kind of different because I'm going off this one article..

And that is great insight to the potential of this hardware, thanks for replying...
I really wanted some comments such as yours that would shed light on how it obtains gains with this new GPU setup...
Thanks..

Well, the gpgpu probably helps with flops/simd which is 750's weakness (that gpu's are naturally incredibly strong in).

The 750 line has weak flop/simd performance, while xenon and cell were processors that were designed to specialize in flops (and pretty much blew at everything else).

A gpgpu could easily take a load like simd off of a cpu without too taxing itself too much.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

NOT ANOTHER TOPIC ON THIS *shoots own head off*

#7 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

refer to sig...

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#8 SNES

SNES

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

Clock speed isn’t everything, and sometimes power is a matter of efficiency, not pure numbers.

The only part of the article that matters. Better articles have done the work that this one didn't. The system doesn't need the high clock speeds of yesteryear, because it runs everything more efficiently. It's running the same games, day one, on a system that is smaller than the PS360, with far less heat and power consumption. Demos have shown the system is not a graphics slouch by any means. A basic understanding of development costs would tell anyone that for the next five years (long enough for the generation cycle to age), most companies won't be able to afford the graphic detail shown in UE4, Cryengine, or Luminous, but if they could (since the engines are scalable), the Wii U would handle them just fine.

This obsession over hardware power is stupid, petty, and pointless. Graphic capabilities right now produce some incredible looking games. The next huge graphics hardware leap won't be happening until high end GPU costs come down substantially, and anyone expecting the Wii U to be substantially less powerful than the next gen Sony and MS consoles is going to be very disappointed.

#9 WiiUWiiUWii Like a Cop Car

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Capcom, EA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

The system doesn't need the high clock speeds of yesteryear, because it runs everything more efficiently.

Great point. I was stunned by the core speeds and thought it was a major drawback...

#10 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

The only part of the article that matters. Better articles have done the work that this one didn't. The system doesn't need the high clock speeds of yesteryear, because it runs everything more efficiently. It's running the same games, day one, on a system that is smaller than the PS360, with far less heat and power consumption. Demos have shown the system is not a graphics slouch by any means. A basic understanding of development costs would tell anyone that for the next five years (long enough for the generation cycle to age), most companies won't be able to afford the graphic detail shown in UE4, Cryengine, or Luminous, but if they could (since the engines are scalable), the Wii U would handle them just fine.

This obsession over hardware power is stupid, petty, and pointless. Graphic capabilities right now produce some incredible looking games. The next huge graphics hardware leap won't be happening until high end GPU costs come down substantially, and anyone expecting the Wii U to be substantially less powerful than the next gen Sony and MS consoles is going to be very disappointed.

Amen.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#11 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

I'm interested in the spec but not bothered by it. I bought the wii u anyway. It certainly would have been nice if Nintendo had pushed the tech a bit more. The gpu can be pushed a lot more than current games though I'm sure but the cpu will remain a bit of weakness throughout the wii u's life I think depending on game.

I moaned about the 3DS having a weak cpu and it does but still love it and its games. Hopefully the wii u will be the same.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wiiu, wii u, cpu, gpu, clockspeeds, hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!