#1 susanmary428

susanmary428

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

On my Wii, when not in use, my unit displays a yellow light indicating standby mode, and it receives messages over my WiFi connection, which I'm alerted to by the disc port glowing blue.

My Wii U, however, seems to just shut down with a red light. Does it have a standby mode similar to the Wii? And if so, how do you put it in that mode?
Playing Nintendo for 25 years...playing Nintendo for 50 more! @rainbow_spark

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4860-6744 / Nintendo Network ID: suzy_jose

#2 angelo07stang

angelo07stang

Boo

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Metroid, mariokart

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

On my Wii, when not in use, my unit displays a yellow light indicating standby mode, and it receives messages over my WiFi connection, which I'm alerted to by the disc port glowing blue.

My Wii U, however, seems to just shut down with a red light. Does it have a standby mode similar to the Wii? And if so, how do you put it in that mode?

Its not good to have your orginal wii in 24 hour mode where it always recives stuff it burns out the laser faster on the orginal wii turn that option off asap.
Posted Image

#3 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Its not good to have your orginal wii in 24 hour mode where it always recives stuff it burns out the laser faster on the orginal wii turn that option off asap.

What's receiving messages got to do with the laser. What you say doesn't make sense at all. The laser is only used when playing disc based software. There is no way the 24 hour mode would have any adverse affect and definitely not on the laser. I have had the 24 hour mode on for the majority of the time I've had my Wii and I got it at launch. My Wii is just fine as is most others.

Edited by Gamejunkie, 05 December 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#4 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

^^^ You do realise the laser is not running when in standby mode.

^^^ You do realise the laser is not running when in standby mode.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

I think he might mean the blue LED in the disc tray?
I dunno, can't see that burning out anytime this century.

Even when it's red I'm pretty sure spotpass is running.
No basis to that except what Nintendo have been doing with the 3ds.

Edited by Nollog, 05 December 2012 - 04:40 PM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

An LED uses the tiniest amount of power to run. There is no harm im running connect 24 all the time, Mine has been switched on since launch day and ive never had a problem.

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#7 angelo07stang

angelo07stang

Boo

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

theres stuff online about it just google it im not making it up just trying to help.

Edited by angelo07stang, 05 December 2012 - 05:18 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

theres stuff online about it just google it im not making it up just trying to help.

And you're actually gullible enough to believe such stuff. As I said before its not true and is absolute rubbish.

#9 angelo07stang

angelo07stang

Boo

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

And you're actually gullible enough to believe such stuff. As I said before its not true and is absolute rubbish.

Wow theres no need to be ignorant and all defensive like a 12 year old I thought the nintendo community was supposed to be friendly and iget a response like this merry christmas to you too buddy.
Posted Image

#10 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Wow theres no need to be ignorant and all defensive like a 12 year old I thought the nintendo community was supposed to be friendly and iget a response like this merry christmas to you too buddy.

He's just a meany pants is all, change him.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#11 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

There's nothing ignorant or defensive about my comment. As for age I'm a damn site older then 12 and there's nothing immature about my comment either. Why you would choose to believe such ridiculous information is the point here really. It just doesn't make any sense at the end of the day.

He's just a meany pants is all, change him.

Nothing mean about me. I'm just telling it like it is. I may sound harsh but what I say isn't mant to be. It's just being honest and to the point. The problem with the Internet is there is so much information out there and some of it is just incorrect. People choose to believe it and that's what I find annoying. I'm not annoyed at them but those actually posting such wrong information in the first place.

#12 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Back to topic, I do not believe the Wii U has a standby mode which is hugely disappointing. Had it done so surely they could have kept the notification functionality of Wii mode?

The only way I have seen the Wii U emit any kind of notifications is the home button the GamePad.

I'm hoping the Wii U is capable of standby mode after all and just not implemented in the current firmware, as its one function that set the Wii apart from other consoles and would be a shame to lose.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#13 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

^^^ How does it really benefit the console though ? By having an extra LED ?

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#14 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Because it told you when you had messages from your friends.

I never used the functionality on the Wii because its online was so poor. However with Wii U being more socially oriented I would finally use such a function, only they removed it. That just sucks.

#15 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Just check when you turn the console on, I believe packing to many features in consoles is what will eventually kill the home entertainment industry, Everyone expects each new console to do and have all these added features, As long as it does what it was intended to do which is play games then all is well, But if companies keep trying to add more and more features we will all end up with consoles that are pretty much just a computer.

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#16 Nightbane30

Nightbane30

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • NNID:Nightbane30
  • Fandom:
    KINGDOM HEARTS!!!!!! RPG LOVER, ANIME

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Honestly, as long as I recieve messages and stuff while it's off, I don't care what color the light is.
Posted Image

I am me! Nobody else!
I also have an account on 3DSForums.com and my username is the same there.

#17 susanmary428

susanmary428

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Back to topic, I do not believe the Wii U has a standby mode which is hugely disappointing. Had it done so surely they could have kept the notification functionality of Wii mode?
The only way I have seen the Wii U emit any kind of notifications is the home button the GamePad.
I'm hoping the Wii U is capable of standby mode after all and just not implemented in the current firmware, as its one function that set the Wii apart from other consoles and would be a shame to lose.

Thanks so much for this, you confirmed what I thought, and for the record, I agree.
Playing Nintendo for 25 years...playing Nintendo for 50 more! @rainbow_spark

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4860-6744 / Nintendo Network ID: suzy_jose

#18 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

You also have to consider it could really annoy original Wii owners who bought the Wii U to replace it, if they used the weather and news channels, which no longer work.

I suppose they might bring over Wii U versions eventually, but it seems silly to leave out core Wii functionality if they want early adopters.

I'm still not sure what to do about my Wii as the Wii U doesn't support the Wii address book and I was going to gift myself some virtual console games from my Wii to the Wii U, which I can't due to the lack of friend code support in Wii mode. Something which they have not really advertised as missing from the Wii U.

It seems to me Nintendo screwed their existing Wii user base while trying to pull in hardcore gamers. Yet for any of us who play racing the Wii U is completely useless anyway, as it doesn't have analog triggers. Which is completely bizarre as the Gamecube did.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 06 December 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#19 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

One thing you will quickly learn, From the day the Wii U was released. Nintendo dont really give 2 poo's about Old wii owners.

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#20 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

That does seem to be the case.

Its just so hugely disappointing as the 3DS had far better backwards compatibility to the DSi than the Wii U has to the Wii. Bearing in mind other than that the 3DS was a real mess at launch, a mistake Nintendo promised not to make with Wii U but it seems they haven't entirely delivered as promised, again.

Then again I fear what will happen with the next Xbox. If its not 100% compatible with Xbox 360 then I think there is going to be a huge uproar. There is a higher expectation for things to "just work" these days, especially with digital releases. Sony are already confusing people with that when they say "coming to PSN" rather than specifically saying is that means PS3, PS Vita, or both.

Nintendo should really be setting the standard here. Having to boot into Wii mode just to fire up a disk based game, is a huge step backwards from Wii where you could just slap a Gamecube disk in and boot it up. While it DID still technically boot into Gamecube mode, it was invisible to the end user, as it should be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!