Photo

Copy game from disc to system memory or external hdd?

copy move disc cd dvd game system hdd external memory

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 starcube

starcube

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

Is it possible to copy a game from disc to the Wii U's internal memory or external HDD?

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

No
No
No
No
No

NO.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 Harris42

Harris42

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Fandom:
    Everything Mario and Zelda

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

NO!!!!!!!

But it could come in a future update...... thats just wishful thinking
Wii U console 'Black'
Zombi U, NintendoLand, NSMBU, Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed, Trine 2, Nano Assault
NNID - Harris42
if you add me let me know by PM

#4 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

I doubt it will happen as it would be a real hassle for Nintendo to implement and its unlikely there would be any noticeable gain.

It wouldn't reduce heat or wear on the optical drive unless Nintendo made other changes too, as the drive NEVER spins down while a disk is in there, which is something I would really like them to change.

Installing to the HDD makes sense on Xbox 360 and PS3 where they have HDDs connected over SATA so can transfer data quickly. However the Wii U is bottlenecked by USB 2.0 which in my experience tends to struggle to get above 25MB/s reading large files. As games generally are a lot of small files, something HDDs are slower at, it could potentially be SLOWER than from the optical drive itself, we don't know how the drive is optimised.

Also if the downloads struggling to go above 800K/s when using internal storage is anything to go by, the internal storage is pretty slow in the Wii U. Considering the optical drive already is supposed to be able to achieve 22.5MB/s, there is little room for noticeable improvement.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#5 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

If you searched, you would of found a thread on this. The answer is no. If this was a possibility then the Wii U would suffer from the same fate as the Dreamcast ...as in far to easy to pirate
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#6 aMaG1CaLmAnG1Na

aMaG1CaLmAnG1Na

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

To be honest the disc load times aren't bad at all so It wouldn't really be much of a benefit
CURRENTLY PLAYING: ZombiU, Black Ops 2, Super Mario Bros U, Sonic Transformed

#7 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

If you searched, you would of found a thread on this. The answer is no. If this was a possibility then the Wii U would suffer from the same fate as the Dreamcast ...as in far to easy to pirate

I assume they meant like the Xbox 360, where you keep the disc in the drive but it spins down once its booted. I would certainly like that as without a disc in the drive, the Wii U is almost silent.

That doesn't increase piracy btw, the fact the Xbox 360 can be hacked is for completely unrelated reasons.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#8 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

I assume they meant like the Xbox 360, where you keep the disc in the drive but it spins down once its booted. I would certainly like that as without a disc in the drive, the Wii U is almost silent.
That doesn't increase piracy btw, the fact the Xbox 360 can be hacked is for completely unrelated reasons.

This.

#9 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Yeah, he didn't indicate in his OP, and there have been people asking about storing the full game on the hard drive. I mean't it increases piracy when its as easy as renting a game copying it to your hard drive and returning it..if that was indeed the question he was asking. Just thought I'd cover all the bases lol
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: copy, move, disc, cd, dvd, game, system, hdd, external, memory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!