Photo

Zelda Wii U Art Style

The Legend of Zelda

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Zelda Wii U Art Style (53 member(s) have cast votes)

What art style should a new Zelda game on Wii U be in?

1. Realistic (Twilight Princess) (31 votes [58.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.49%

2. Impressionistic (Skyward Sword) (2 votes [3.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.77%

3. Cel-shaded (Wind Waker) (2 votes [3.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.77%

4. Something completely new (10 votes [18.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.87%

5. Semi-realistic (Ocarina of Time) (8 votes [15.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:00 AM

What art style do you think Nintendo should use for a new Zelda game? All of them would look beautiful in 1080p, but what would you like?
Posted Image

#2 The One Who Wrote This

The One Who Wrote This

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    Marth, Link, Samus, Zero, & Exdeath

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

I would like to try something new, but I am fine with any art style. I love Windwaker, Twilight Princess, and soon Skyward Sword!!

#3 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:51 AM

So hard to chose, each has its own appeal.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#4 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

I want one to be a realistic style, just to see what it'd be like.

#5 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:35 AM

I love the art style of Ocarina of Time, and I think it looks great. From what I've seen, the Wind Waker art style is also very nice.

#6 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

I love the art style of Ocarina of Time, and I think it looks great. From what I've seen, the Wind Waker art style is also very nice.

*facepalms* I didn't even think of including Ocarina of Time 3D's art style to the list, but how would you describe OoT3D's art style? would it be counted as an Impressionistic style?
Posted Image

#7 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

-

Edited by BassDropper, 05 September 2013 - 02:02 AM.

#8 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

*facepalms* I didn't even think of including Ocarina of Time 3D's art style to the list, but how would you describe OoT3D's art style? would it be counted as an Impressionistic style?

Added it to the poll. I think it's best described as semi-realistic. It's definitely not impressionistic, realistic, nor cel-shaded. I see it as a slightly cartoony take on realistic with brighter colours and simpler textures.

Personally, I want to see them go with a full-on realistic style. The Wii U finally has what it takes to create graphics that are nearly indistinguishable from real life. Who would honestly not love to see a Zelda game take full advantage of all that raw power? We need an incredible game to prove that photorealism can work outside of shooters, too.

#9 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

Added it to the poll. I think it's best described as semi-realistic. It's definitely not impressionistic, realistic, nor cel-shaded. I see it as a slightly cartoony take on realistic with brighter colours and simpler textures.

Personally, I want to see them go with a full-on realistic style. The Wii U finally has what it takes to create graphics that are nearly indistinguishable from real life. Who would honestly not love to see a Zelda game take full advantage of all that raw power? We need an incredible game to prove that photorealism can work outside of shooters, too.

I agree that a more realistic approach would definitely do better to show off the power of the system, but there's still a part of me that wants to see a Toon Link game that looks like it was made by Pixar. lol
Posted Image

#10 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:16 PM

I agree that a more realistic approach would definitely do better to show off the power of the system, but there's still a part of me that wants to see a Toon Link game that looks like it was made by Pixar. lol

I agree, I voted for realistic. Although, I still love the feel and look of Ocarina of Time, which was my first zelda game. :)

#11 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

Personally I want realistic. I've been waiting to see a realistic Zelda since Ocarina of Time came out.
And now I've caught a glimpse of it from the ending of the WiiU announcement trailer. :)

I hope Nintendo chooses realistic, it would really show off the graphical capabilities of the WiiU, along with impress the many Legend of Zelda fans out there.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#12 hooky

hooky

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:24 AM

While I would love to see another Zelda with the Wind Waker style, it's not going to impress anyone. I say realistic and use the game to show off the power of the system (but keep the story in mind too!). Zelda is a series that can be taken in any art direction; you won't see CoD going with cel-shaded graphics anytime soon. But to convince PS3 and 360 owners to buy the new system Nintendo really needs to make Zelda Wii U have great graphics.

#13 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:30 AM

While I would love to see another Zelda with the Wind Waker style, it's not going to impress anyone. I say realistic and use the game to show off the power of the system (but keep the story in mind too!). Zelda is a series that can be taken in any art direction; you won't see CoD going with cel-shaded graphics anytime soon. But to convince PS3 and 360 owners to buy the new system Nintendo really needs to make Zelda Wii U have great graphics.

I swear, that would be just....WOAH!!

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#14 Hamez

Hamez

Blooper

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • NNID:PrinceLuna
  • Fandom:
    007, Team Fortress 2, Zelda, Ponies

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

It's just an art style. But I would like realistic the most to make the most of the new hardware. Cel-shaded is usually used to reduce the file size of the game so you have room for other stuff, and it shouldn't be an issue for the Wii U.

But I am fine with any art style. The art style doesn't really add or subtract from the epicness of the game. If you imagine Wind Waker with a different style, it would still be one of the most epic stories out there.
Posted Image

#15 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:42 PM

The tech demo was just too awesome to think of another art style for the next Zelda on Wii U.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#16 abbe

abbe

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:25 AM

I swear, that would be just....WOAH!!

HAHA, lets start a new rumor.... "Call Of Duty....Toon warfare"!!!

#17 Éanna Prendergast Doyle

Éanna Prendergast Doyle

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Fandom:
    Lady Gaga, Haruhi Suzumiya, Felicia Day

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:49 AM

Personally I love the cell-shaded style since my first Zelda game was Phantom Hour-glass but I think that a realistic style Zelda would better suit the Wii U since what is the point of it being able to produce HD graphics if Nintendo is not going to avail of them?
Posted Image

#18 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:11 AM

It's just an art style. But I would like realistic the most to make the most of the new hardware. Cel-shaded is usually used to reduce the file size of the game so you have room for other stuff, and it shouldn't be an issue for the Wii U.

I don't know where you read that, but it's not true, it's completely based on art style. Cel shaded games can have the most beautiful graphics and in some cases have the same amount or more polygons than other styled games, which wouldn't reduce the file size.

Edited by Dementis, 13 August 2011 - 04:14 AM.

#19 Metroid

Metroid

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:45 AM

I voted for Realistic style. Have played TP and seen the Zelda tech demo on the Wii U, makes me want a realistic styled Zelda game for the Wii U.
It will look very good!

#20 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

I like Skyward Sword's style, in-between, since I sorta like and hate both TP and tWW styles. I don't like everything looking realistic, you know?
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!