Photo

So it's odd seeing this many systems jsut sitting on shelves.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 9646gt

9646gt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

So when I bought my Wii U the day before Thanksgiving my local walmart had 3 deluxe systems. Went back on black Friday to pick up some 360 and ps3 games on sale and the two systems that were left after I bought mine were still sitting there. Then tonight at the same walmart there were about 8-10 consoles mostly basics just sitting in the case. I couldn't find a wii or 360 to save my life at launch. I don't think this issues is the systems fault, I think it's marketing. I think to many people assume it's a add on for the wii or something. I was playing my ps vita at work one night and someone asked if it was the new Wii U?!? Seriously?!?!

#2 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:50 AM

I agree with Nintendo having a not so good marketing campaign set out for the Wii U. They need to push it more aggressively and tell people that it's a "Wii U", not a "Wii". Somehow they ended up doing it for the 3DS as I can see a noticeable difference in the public's opinion on the handheld; that they can actually tell the difference between a 3DS and DS.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#3 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

Imagine if they would have gone with another name. Then it would be pretty obvious for the causal gamers to know that it's a new console. Wii U sure does sound like an addon.

28gxdv8.png

#4 ~P~

~P~

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

On the one hand Nintendo hasn't helped identify the Wii U as a brand new console to the uninitiated by hiding the actual console itself behind the Gamepad (E3 & on packaging itself) making it seem as if its an expensive peripheral instead of an all new system, although when you 'know' what the system is, you can see why it makes sense for them to do that.

Conversely, as much as it makes business sense to accept and compensate for the mentality of some of your target demographic, I simply refuse to be an apologist for those that are too lazy, unwilling or dismissive to research a product in an age where information is so easily accessible and freely available, especially those that post dumb comments to Twitter along the lines of "I still don't know what a Wii U is" If you know how to use the internet, you have no excuse.

#5 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

The question is, are they doing good with keeping up with demand, or is there no demand? Well know soon enough.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#6 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

That is such a shame seriously. I have an Idea for an ad campain, "would you please spare just 1 payment of $350 to give this Wii U a home, here at Wallmart we never put a healthy console down, thank you"

#7 flowerlandfilms

flowerlandfilms

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

You couldn't find a Wii at launch because they grossly undersupplied Wiis at launch.
This time they are replenishing stock at a much faster rate.
So you are going to see more on shelves, that's a good thing.

#8 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

You couldn't find a Wii at launch because they grossly undersupplied Wiis at launch.
This time they are replenishing stock at a much faster rate.
So you are going to see more on shelves, that's a good thing.

I think this is part of it. I do think it is poor marketing and a rainbowty name (Wii 2 or Wii HD), but Reggie said that they will try and keep them on the shelves so everyone can get a Wii U. If they can sell the 3DS then they can sell the Wii U.

#9 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

even people i know who arent casual gamers questioned me about getting a wii u and thought it was an addon, once a big title that everyone wants comes to it people will have no problem telling the difference

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#10 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

I haven't seen them in stock at any of the stores near me.

As for marketing, totally. The other day I told an acquaintance who is into video games that I got the new Nintendo and he had no idea what I was referring to.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#11 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Well releasing a full year before the competition is a good thing. The Wii U has time to get out there before the other consoles hit the market. By then all the kids in school will know at least someone with a Wii U and ask their parents it for christmas. That's pretty much how Xbox survived this gen. It did horribly with the first Xbox, but that one year head start gave 10 million people the console, and people usually buy what their friends have. I know I did when I was younger. Now that I'm older and can buy more than one console it's different. But one year is huge.

#12 flowerlandfilms

flowerlandfilms

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

This Christmas the children of the world will do more advertising for the Wii U than Nintendo could ever pay for.

#13 Bunkei

Bunkei

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

This Christmas the children of the world will do more advertising for the Wii U than Nintendo could ever pay for.

Quoted for truth. Once kids see how cool the Gamepad is, the demand will ramp up.

#14 backudog

backudog

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • NNID:backudog

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

Yesterday i saw a wiiU premium sitting in the window of my local CEX store, which means someones already traded thiers in!?! its only been on sale for, what?, 8 days or so here in the u.k.? MADNESS! MADNESS I TELLS YA!!!
I hear voices in my head all the time, telling me what to do. But I just ignore them and carry on killing.

#15 lorddionigi

lorddionigi

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

i preordered one on day 1 of preorder another day 10, i have my first one still waiting for my second preorder from gamestop, its for my brother for x-mas i hope they get more stock soon, they told me still almost 100 preorders to fill

i preordered one on day 1 of preorder another day 10, i have my first one still waiting for my second preorder from gamestop, its for my brother for x-mas i hope they get more stock soon, they told me still almost 100 preorders to fill

#16 Triggy1987

Triggy1987

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

I've not seen one WiiU advert on the tv in the uk yet.
Over 9k subs, Youtube channel: http://tinyurl.com/c3cvsep

#17 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

It certainly doesn't help that we have games like New Super Mario Bros U, that to the casual observer just look the same as New Super Mario Bros on Wii.

Those of us "in the know" can clearly see its infinitely more pretty graphically. But the kind of people who would get mistaken about the Wii U being an addon clearly do not have that kind of insight.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#18 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

What they really need to do here in aus is bump up the advertising. I think the only adds i saw about the wii u are the ones EB games had hung up in the window. No tv adds no bus shelter adds etc.

Edited by cannonshane, 09 December 2012 - 01:49 PM.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#19 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Yesterday i saw a wiiU premium sitting in the window of my local CEX store, which means someones already traded thiers in!?! its only been on sale for, what?, 8 days or so here in the u.k.? MADNESS! MADNESS I TELLS YA!!!

Those are the people who, if they aren't impressed in the first ten minutes they play a system, think it is junk. I remember not being a huge fan of the wii at all when it came out and now it is probably my favorite console (never owned an older nintendo console though and I won't be getting a wii u for a while) I however did not return mine and am extremely grateful

#20 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

I think depending on where you live is a factor. I live in a city with a medium population and big suburbs surrounding. Finding Wii U systems here has been hard for a lot of people I know. Lower pop areas where there may not be as many gamers probably wouldn't sell out.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!